Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Billy Sherwood in studio with Yes

I have it on good authority that Billy is in fact the de facto producer and RTB was mostly a figure head, not present for most of the sessions.

No, that's lies. But I would love to start that rumor Just for the fun that would ensue.

The battle of sherwood forest,
    The battle of sherwood forest, la la la ka
    Escuse me, I am somewhat inebriated having drunk some fine ales and single malys tonight,

R.T.B. produced the 2nd and 3rd Starcasrle albums. The mixes are kind of strange: very out-front compressed vocals and faint sounding drums. Not sure if he did the mixing but I hope the YES album won't sound similar.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    R.T.B. produced the 2nd and 3rd Starcasrle albums. The mixes are kind of strange: very out-front compressed vocals and faint sounding drums. Not sure if he did the mixing but I hope the YES album won't sound similar.
    True, but then that was way back the mid-70's when he was still firmly in "Queen mode." I'd listen to some of his more recent work before getting too worried about what the new Yes might sound like. Regarding Alan White's recent mention of the drum recording process for the new album ("$50,000 worth of mic's for just the drums") I rather doubt they will sound "distant."

^I'm not at all worried about it, just found the mix on the Starcastle R.T.B. albums strange. "The Cars" debut is a pretty impressive production . I'll have to google him to see what he did after that.

I was never too wild about the Queen drum sound.

R.T.B. has a pretty impressive and varied track record:

Productions by Roy Thomas Baker:
    Arnold Corns A.K.A.David Bowie: "Man in the Middle" (1971 – released 1985)
    Free: Fire and Water (1970)
    Nazareth (band): Nazareth (engineer) (1971)
    Nazareth: Exercises (1972)
    Gasolin': Gasolin' 3 (1973)
    Gasolin': Stakkels Jim (in English: "Poor Jim") (1974)
    Queen (band): Queen (1973) (Credited as Roy Baker)
    Queen: Queen II (1974)
    Hawkwind: Hall of the Mountain Grill (1974)
    Robert Calvert: Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters (1974)
    Man : Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics (1974)
    Queen: Sheer Heart Attack (1974)
    Queen: A Night at the Opera (1975)
    Jet: Jet (1975)
    Be-Bop Deluxe: Futurama (1975)
    Gasolin': Gas 5 (1975)
    Lewis Furey: The Humours Of (1976)
    Pilot: Morin Heights (1976)
    Ian Hunter: Overnight Angels (1976)
    Gasolin': Efter endnu en dag (1976)
    Dusty Springfield It Begins Again (1978)
    The Cars: The Cars (1978)
    Queen: Jazz (1978)
    Journey (band): Infinity (1978)
    Journey: Evolution (1979)
    Yes: Golden Age Sessions (1979)
    Ron Wood: Gimme Some Neck (1979)
    The Cars: Candy-O (1979)
    Foreigner: Head Games (1979)
    Alice Cooper: Flush the Fashion (1980)
    The Cars: Panorama (1980)
    The Cars: Shake It Up (1981)
    Heavy Metal: "Motion Picture Soundtrack" (1982)
    Devo: Oh, No! It's Devo (1982)
    Cheap Trick: One on One (1982)
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Motion Picture Soundtrack (1982)
    Mötley Crüe: Too Fast for Love (1982)
    Joe Lynn Turner: Rescue You (1985)
    Jon Anderson: 3 Ships (1985)
    American Anthem:"Motion Picture Soundtrack" (1986)
    T'Pau: Bridge of Spies (titled T'Pau in the US) (1987)
    Slade: You Boyz Make Big Noize (1987)
    Ozzy Osbourne: No Rest for the Wicked (1988)
    The Stranglers: 10 (1989)
    Chris de Burgh: Spark to a Flame (1990)
    Shy: Misspent Youth (1990)
    Dangerous Toys: Hellacious Acres (1991)
    The Stranglers: All Twelve Inches (1992)
    Wayne's World: Motion Picture Soundtrack (1992)
    Local H: Pack Up the Cats (1998)
    The Darkness: One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back (2005)
    Elliot Easton: Change No Change (2006)
    The Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist (2007)
    Transformers: "Motion Picture Soundtrack" (2007)
    The Storm: Where The Storm Meets The Ground (2008)
    The Smashing Pumpkins: American Gothic (2008)
    Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy (2008)
    Jimmy Chamberlin's This: "Great Civilization" (2010)
    Maximilian Is King: Featuring Arthur Lynn and Nick Fowler "Songs To Kill Yourself With" (2012)

Local H: Pack Up the Cats (1998)
    This is the most recent album on this list that I've heard, and it sounds pretty good, so I'm confident RTB will help deliver a solid-sounding Yes album.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Regarding Alan White's recent mention of the drum recording process for the new album ("$50,000 worth of mic's for just the drums") I rather doubt they will sound "distant."
    Well, he didn't state where the mikes would be placed, did he?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Albums with some of the best drum sounds ever have been made with a few hundred bucks worth of mics. Albums with some of the worst drum sounds ever have been made with many tens of thousands worth of mics (and outboard gear). None of that (beyond a certain point) matters. What matters are the drums themselves, the drummer, the engineer and what the artists feel they want to go for artistically. The proof is in the pudding. I fully expect an album that sounds competent and commercial by current standards. If it sounds interesting I'll be impressed

From a link posted in another thread:

http://lithiummagazine.com/interview....Mzj9k6al.dpuf

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Squire
    Jon Davison has brought in an interesting quality of songwriting and lyric writing. He has pretty much written all the lyrics for this album.
    Now I'm very excited. He won over four veterans of rock and ended up the main lyricist. This is going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Squire
    Jon Davison has brought in an interesting quality of songwriting and lyric writing. He has pretty much written all the lyrics for this album.
    Now I'm very excited. He won over four veterans of rock and ended up the main lyricist. This is going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

Very cool.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    really, there isnt a high bar

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    really, there isnt a high bar
    The main takeaway, in my opinion, is that JonD is more than just the band's singer from the sound of it. If he's involved in writing the songs, and is providing all of the lyrics, then he is pretty much a full member and Yes has some fresh blood to hopefully mix things up a bit.

R.T.B. has a pretty impressive and varied track record [...]
    Indeed - he even engineered the first song on Egg's debut album ("While Growing My Hair"), recorded late 1969, so this must have been one of his very first jobs.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The main takeaway, in my opinion, is that JonD is more than just the band's singer from the sound of it. If he's involved in writing the songs, and is providing all of the lyrics, then he is pretty much a full member and Yes has some fresh blood to hopefully mix things up a bit.
    At the very least he's a fully exploitable resource...
    Last edited by trurl; 03-24-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    At the very lest he's a fully exploitable resource...
    Well said!

I didn't mean to sound presumptuous by asserting that he's a full member of Yes; obviously that's between him and the band.

Well now if this is true then he will remove the mimic label I have held for him since Yes began looking for an Anderson mimic. Once you've brought you own material into a song and written equally within a group, then this changes things in my eyes.

Now I hope its good. Yes has lost my attention for some time now. I am ready, skeptical but ready.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Couple of new interviews shed more light on the Yes album (my news page has links, as usual). In one, Davison talks of the band "doubling up in the studio" in the last week as they rushed to finish the album, i.e. different recording sessions going on at the same time. With Baker + the album's main engineer (as yet unidentified) unable to be in two places at once, maybe that's why they brought Sherwood in to engineer the backing vocal sessions as someone they knew they could trust to handle that while Baker/regular engineer was overseeing further guitar tracks being put down.

We also now know that there are eight tracks (+ a bonus for Japan), but also that there are three 9-10 minute tracks (Squire Billboard interview). Think what that has to look like, presuming, as seems likely, that they're going for a vinyl release. It would seem you end up with something that looks a bit like Fragile, in song lengths at least(!): three long tracks ("Roundabout", "South Side of the Sky" and "Heart of the Sunrise" are 8+ minutes), surrounded by shorter tracks ("Long Distance Runaround" is 3:30 and the "solos" are all 3 minutes or shorter).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Billy Sherwood in studio with Yes"

^ I hope they create some beautiful paintings!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Couple of new interviews shed more light on the Yes album (my news page has links, as usual).
    The Davison interview is linked above. Here's the new (and short) Squire Billboard interview.

The most interesting bits to me:

...there are three that are on the longer side, nine-, 10-minute sort of long songs. So it's definitely got the Yes stamp of arrangement on the album, there's no doubt about that.
    Honestly, I'm really more interested in playing the new material, and that's really always been Yes' way of working. I've always been a great believer that you have to keep producing new things in order to keep life interesting not only for ourselves but for the audience as well. That's really always been our principle and way of working. So presumably there'll be even more new music in the future.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.