Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis on the road in New Orleans

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Genesis on the road in New Orleans

Just stumbled onto this on Kim Poor's blog - interesting reading, maybe you've all seen it but it was new to me.

http://kimpoorkimpoor.blogspot.com/2...ting-road.html

"I did keep him in the band for an extra two years when he would have left after Acolyte. This is all documented. "

Wow

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    "I did keep him in the band for an extra two years when he would have left after Acolyte. This is all documented. "

Wow

BG
    It's all documented right here:

Wow

BG
    Yeah, that one struck me, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

HAND injury, oh my.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I chuckled at the Guardian Angel bit. If Guardian Angels existed, he wouldn't have smashed his hand in the first place.

From an earlier blog post of hers:

"He has always felt so left out since he left the band in 1977. He came to bitterly regret that decision"

Again....wow

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

"He has always felt so left out since he left the band in 1977. He came to bitterly regret that decision"
    She left out...

He came to bitterly regret that decision because I howled endlessly about the life of celebrity luxury that he robbed me of.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

So, she kept him in the band? Man, this woman is delusional. Now I see why their marriage broke down. It seems like she thinks of herself as a guiding force in Steve's life, and he had no will of his own.

Again....wow

BG
    I'm sure in confidence (which Kim is betraying) he had times where said "shit, look how big they have become and I missed out". That would only be natural, and I do not see it as a weakness in Steve's resolve as an artist. He took a big gamble, and from an artistic perspective he achieved so much, and has every reason to be proud of his choices.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    So, she kept him in the band? Man, this woman is delusional. Now I see why their marriage broke down. It seems like she thinks of herself as a guiding force in Steve's life, and he had no will of his own.
    She also ran off with Steve's manager and tried taking over ownership of Steve's royalty company through some legal shenanigans. Her planned failed, but if it worked, Steve would have been bankrupted, and Kim and Steve's ex-manager would have been living the high life on Genesis royalties.

I don't find it inconceivable that she would have counseled Steve about staying in the band. But, ultimately the decision would have been his.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I'm sure in confidence (which Kim is betraying) he had times where said "shit, look how big they have become and I missed out".
    He admitted as much in an interview, I think. He said he had times when he thought, "Damn, they've had so many hits!"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I don't find it inconceivable that she would have counseled Steve about staying in the band. But, ultimately the decision would have been his.
    Both he and Phil Collins confirmed that if Steve had gotten into that car with Phil Collins on Westminster Bridge in 1977, Phil could have talked him out of leaving. I'm certain this was a tough decision for him to make; he legitimately enjoyed Genesis music but his muse was screaming at him to make more, more, more and do it himself.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Steve probably consoles himself by humming "Invisible Touch."

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    She also ran off with Steve's manager and tried taking over ownership of Steve's royalty company through some legal shenanigans. Her planned failed, but if it worked, Steve would have been bankrupted, and Kim and Steve's ex-manager would have been living the high life on Genesis royalties.
    Woah. Is THAT what happened? What was that cat's name? Billy Buddis?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Woah. Is THAT what happened? What was that cat's name? Billy Buddis?
    Yep, Billy and Kim are a couple now. Tried absconding with Steve's royalties.

Reading between the lines, Steve probably put them on the board of his royalty LLC because he trusted them to look after his interests, but they tried using their position to take over Steve's earnings and kick him to the curb penniless. Some speculation on my part as the details never came out, but this is what it sounded like happened.

Read the lyrics on out of the tunnels mouth.

The case got a lot if press because of the precedent that would have been established had Kim and Billy prevailed, but it sounds like the judge ruled in favor of Steve.

it sounds like the judge ruled in favor of Steve.
    Indeed he (or she?) did - I remember at the "Out of the Tunnel's Mouth" show in Hamburg (2009 I guess), Steve announced that at that day, that this was a very special day for him because he won his lawsuit (big audience applause, many seemed to know a bit of what had been going on) - which also meant that this was the day the album went on sale. He played almost all of the new stuff, of which I had never heard a note before. One of the best shows I've ever been to, and Steve clearly was on fire that night. Great show, great album, great man!

Henning

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Steve probably consoles himself by humming "Invisible Touch."
    LMAO!!!!

Wow, I had no idea of the extent of what went on 'behind the scenes' during that 2009 period for Steve.

I'm glad he came out the other side, with a very successful tour. I hope some of that audience try his new solo stuff...it's closer to the spirit/adventure of classic Genesis than what the others do these days.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-06-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Although Steve won his court case, and was no longer locked out of his own recording studio, there was still a high price to pay for his freedom. I recall Kim in the UK Sunday newspapers showing off the very smart London house she was selling (the marital home), and the walls were covered in gold & platinum albums. Man, I'd have been very pissed off about having to leave things like that. And given how much trust he'd placed in both ex wife & manager, you have to ask yourself what else went on ? For legal reasons, I couldn't possibly speculate....

All I can see is that since the split from both, Steve's profile has soared and his career has taken a huge upturn. Well done Steve, and of course Jo.

He should release the albums of his that had Kim Poor cover art with new cover art - I feel sorry for him having to associate his music with those covers. I personally hated her style of art and those covers.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He should release the albums of his that had Kim Poor cover art with new cover art - I feel sorry for him having to associate his music with those covers. I personally hated her style of art and those covers.
    Same here. They looked pretty amateurish.

Same here. They looked pretty amateurish.
    Some of them were okay. No more amateurish than your average prog-metal cover, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally