Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake "13 Songs and a Thing"

chalkpie

Bob Drake "13 Songs and a Thing"

drake13Songs.jpg

Yes, you guys know I am huge BD fanatic, blah blah.......how most other music seems boring in comparison, blah blah.....you get the picture. So I have listened to '13 Songs' many, many, many times over the past week or so. So many times, you probably wouldn't believe me, so I won't tell you.

OK, anyway, I promised Bob I would do a mini "review" of this album, but that would basically be impossible. More on that in a bit. Do I like this album? Oh yes, very much so. I would consider this in the Drake "Golden" period, sandwiched between favorites 'The Skull Mailbox' and 'The Shunned Country' (both utterly and completely amazing as well, of course).

So back to the topic of this "review" - an album of this depth and diversity would be impossible to sum up in a few paragraphs, hell, even a few pages. So instead I am going to pick a few favorite tracks, and tell you what I am hearing while listening. This is by NO means a formal analysis - I don't think I am qualified anyway - but just some fun thoughts on some of Bob's amazing musical adventures packed into a 5:50 tune.

I had to write this stuff down (of course) there is so much to describe. You would think that this tune is 15 or 20 minutes long, but alas, no, it's under 6!

OK, here we go. The tune is track 4 entitled "Rtuuf".

Rtuuf

0:00 - 0:54 - Starts off with a disjunct bass/guitar pattern that makes Thrakattack sound like Bette Midler at a Masingil douche festival. I am convinced that there is some rhythmic pattern here but i just can't catch it. It also sounds like he is banging on some trash can lids or something similar? I hear sort of a I-V in the bass so it has a country-on-meth vibe.

0:54 - A 'real' groove starts to happen (or so you think), but not really....

1:00 - classic virtuosic BD chickenpickin'

1:02 - he adds a stereo panned acoustic chickenpickin' which adds a new texture and dimension. Great.

1:10 - solo clean picking

1:18 - In the RC (right channel), he adds a slight overdrive/distortion to add another new texture

1:24 - In the LC there is a very oddball dissonant guitar "solo"

1:42 - a Great harmonic change happens here!

1:48 - he adds a beautiful Telecaster-type sound in the RC

1:51 - sounds like percussion being tossed or thrown, or similar effect; the whole "band" plays a lick together

1:55 - a great little acoustic lick that leads into:

1:57 - a new section. Add spanish vocals, acoustic guitar strumming in very complex odd time (I think I hear little groups of 5/8). The bass (not really but the lower frequency) sounds like he is tapping/slapping the neck of his guitar or bass for a percussive effect. Nifty.

2:02 - Sax (I think) enters for the first time, filtered through an FX unit

2:22 - panned vocal "chorus" with some really nice delay to give it a real spacey vibe

2:36 - 2:45 - Drums/bass "band" riff groove that sort of eludes at a new direction, but it's almost teasing in a way

2:46 - acoustic gtr with some gorgeous progressions with a minor 9 or almost phyrgian vibe, and also a weird percussion type sound that seems to be circling around like a fly

2:53 - The TECHNO section starts. Sounds like he has some cheesy Casio keyboard factory percussion happening? Also starts cool ass sax solo (again)

3:04 - silence!

3:05 - sax starts solo in octave notes; really wicked and nasty totally grooving rhythm guitar happening here

3:55 - Bass in LC, guitar in RC in an odd-time interplay; sax solo still happening but at this point the sax is part of the bass/guitar interaction

4:03 - TECHNO starts up again. There is some texture lurking in the background that I can't quite figure out - sounds like wind or something?

4:21 - add more instrumentation to the cacaphony

4:29 - Entire band plays "riff" (which was the same as played at 2:36)

4:39 - same gtr progression (as 2:46)

4:47 - "blues" type groove born out of previous section (electric guitar RC)

4:54 - Solo acoustic guitar lick that I think i have heard before, but I can't quite place?

4:56 - Brilliant modulation (key change) to distant key with the "band" (to the tritone I think)

4:58 - Same lick as 4:54 but with the entire "band" this time

5:05 - another modulation and all-out madness

5:09 - Heavy groove in half time feel with trumpets perhaps? (there is trumpet credited in the liner notes)

5:23 - The ending is magnificent - he plays a harmonic on guitar, and there is a pitch that is born out of the feedback

5:28 - He plays a new harmonic, and that same feedback note becomes the Major 3rd of a chord. Brilliant!

OK, that's all I have. An utterly brilliant composition that has more ideas than most bands entire albums. More to come later. My head hurts.

This was the first Bob solo album I got, and it's still among my fave three-or-so of his. That meaty bass on the opening track pretty much slays everything in its way.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Awesome review Frankie! Gotta get this album
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I'm almost embarrassed that you pay such close attention, but happy too! I'll gladly talk about the details:

> 0:00 - 0:54 I am convinced that there is some rhythmic pattern here but i just can't catch it.

There is a pattern; I can easily play it but one of those things I wouldn't be able to explain to someone else if I was forced to. Not sure if it could be divided into equal sets of "numbers".

> sounds like he is banging on some trash can lids or something similar?

It's the drum kit, I used just one cheap, plastic mic with the preamp turned up too high.

5:09 - Heavy groove in half time feel with trumpets perhaps? (there is trumpet credited in the liner notes)

This was before I had my own trumpet so here it's played by a friend of Udi's and recorded by Udi actually. My instructions were to play in time with the group, and play three or four note chords, but sound as if "every note is wrong" while still following the general movement of the guitar chords. I wanted make those big, ecstatic blasts of chords that have so many notes in them they almost become white noise (to be followed by the two tear-jerkingly simple chords at the end). But not lose the movement which comes from the chords played on the guitar. (which are the same chords hinted at in the end of the "trashcan" section at the beginning.)

I'm so happy you are enjoying the album, and will still refrain from adding my opinion about it so as to not color your observations! And that's not an opinion!

BD
    www.bdrak.com

chalkpie
    Embarrassed? Don't be! I actually love doing stuff like this, especially with music that I really like. I did this sort of thing in grad school in a music history class when I was assigned Ravel's "Le Tombeau de Couperin", and this approach started my love affair with that composer for instance. Breaking down complex music like this helps me to gain a better appreciation for the intricacies and details. I also feel that maybe more folks should actually talk about the MUSIC instead of just saying "yeah, I like that album - it's great".

Re: the beginning - yeah, I thought so. I love the approach on the drumset! Thinking outside of the box.

Re: the Trumpet - great stuff! I love hearing about stuff like this. I'm surprised the Udester didn't chime in here? He's too busy listening to cardiacs and classical music

I am getting the sense that maybe this record is not your personal favorite (or maybe it is?), but trust me, your own opinion won't "color" my appreciation - I am an admitted strong-willed snob when it comes to music, and not easily persuaded

There are a bunch of other tracks I really dig, so I hope to do a few more when I have the chance.

Right now in my car it's "Little Black Train" competing and alternating against an 8-CD Boulez Bartok set. I should have some words on that album in a week or two.

chalkpie
    PS - how would you feel about an exclusive PE interview? I type some questions and you respond. No publicity is bad publicity - look at that CA thread!

chalkpie
    PSS (or is it PPS?) - Bob is there a way perhaps to post the tune "Rtuuf" so folks without the album here can listen and read along with my chickenscratch?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    PSS (or is it PPS?) - Bob is there a way perhaps to post the tune "Rtuuf" so folks without the album here can listen and read along with my chickenscratch?
    Yes, I'll try to do that in the next day or three.

PS - how would you feel about an exclusive PE interview?
    Willing to give it a try! It's lots more fun in person so it can be spontaneous, but I'll do my best not to think too long about my responses.

PS: 13 Songs and a Thing is not my favorite from amongst my past albums, but I like it!

PPSS: Some of the funny sounds in the "techno" section of Rtuuf come from me playing a hi-hat into some "cicuit-bent" toys which my old friend Maria Moran brought along when she visited some years before. I also used some of those sounds on "The Hideous Portrait" on The Shunned Country.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

I also feel that maybe more folks should actually talk about the MUSIC instead of just saying "yeah, I like that album - it's great".
    In the end a piece of music ought to appear as a solid piece of music, as if it just appeared that way, not a bunch of details and work and clever arrangement, but I LOVE working on those details and arrangements so it's exciting and fun when someone notices them.

Re: the beginning - yeah, I thought so. I love the approach on the drumset! Thinking outside of the box.
    While I still had that cheap mic/overdriven preamp setup on the drums, I also recorded this little ditty which is just drums, bass and vocals: Go to this page (still in progress so there might be a broken link or two) and scroll down to "Pleasant Valley": http://www.bordebasse.fr/music/bd/solo-archive.html

The cable to the bass amp kept cutting out, which I thought was quite funny, and that's why at the end you only hear me impotently plunking away acoustically.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

Oh yes, what a wonderful album this is!

I first got to grips with it while ill on holiday in Marrakesh. I'd bought a big bag of dates from the market on the square and, like some kind of idiot, ate them all in one go. Without wishing to go into too much detail, my insides exploded and I was incapacitated for a full day. As luck would have it, it was the day on which the city was visited by monsoon-like conditions and so I retreated to my riad and spent the afternoon horizontal on my bed. Suitably relaxed by the sound of the torrential rain upon the roof, but still plagued by rumblings and eruptions from within my belly, I reached for my iPod and listened to some music: firstly, Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom; secondly, Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age; and thirdly, Bob Drake's 13 Songs and a Thing. Truly, an afternoon I will never forget :-)
    Last edited by AndyB; 03-07-2014 at 05:15 AM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Oh yes, what a wonderful album this is!

I first got to grips with it while ill on holiday in Marrakesh. I'd bought a big bag of dates from the market on the square and, like some kind of idiot, ate them all in one go. Without wishing to go into too much detail, my insides exploded and I was incapacitated for a full day. As luck would have it, it was the day on which the city was visited by monsoon-like conditions and so I retreated to my riad and spent the afternoon horizontal on my bed. Suitably relaxed by the sound of the torrential rain upon the roof, but still plagued by rumblings and eruptions from within my belly, I reached for my iPod and listened to some music: firstly, Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom; secondly, Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age; and thirdly, Bob Drake's 13 Songs and a Thing. Truly, an afternoon I will never forget :-)
    Nice man!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Yes, I'll try to do that in the next day or three.

Willing to give it a try! It's lots more fun in person so it can be spontaneous, but I'll do my best not to think too long about my responses.

PS: 13 Songs and a Thing is not my favorite from amongst my past albums, but I like it!

PPSS: Some of the funny sounds in the "techno" section of Rtuuf come from me playing a hi-hat into some "cicuit-bent" toys which my old friend Maria Moran brought along when she visited some years before. I also used some of those sounds on "The Hideous Portrait" on The Shunned Country.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com
    Excellent - thanks for doing that. It really is such a killer tune and I know people would dig it if they heard it. Re: interview, I'll try to think of a few questions then! Maybe I'll have you think of some too?

I might ask you why '13 Songs' isn't up there for you. Interesting! So that wasn't a Casio or cheesy rhythm patch in the techno section then? It really sounds like it - you succeeded to sound like a factory preset Casio rhythm - impressive!

chalkpie
    The last two tracks "And the Sun"/"Foam I" are also two great, great pieces. I think they segue really well together.

I might ask you why '13 Songs' isn't up there for you. Interesting! So that wasn't a Casio or cheesy rhythm patch in the techno section then? It really sounds like it - you succeeded to sound like a factory preset Casio rhythm - impressive!
    There is no Casio, it was played by me on "real" instruments. As I recall, a Korg MS20, drums, bass, guitar, Maria Moran's circuit-bent toys (could be where the "cheap preset" tones come from), and things were certainly treated in funny ways. I'd always loved that techno/dance music beat ever since I ended up mixing "house" and hip-hop dance music in the early 90's, but always wondered why it was only ever done on machines, thought it might sounds really exciting if played by a group. I still think so but it's probably been done by now, I just haven't heard it.

Since you started this thread Frank, I've been thinking about the album and what bugs me about it for the past few days and I think I know now, it's really something silly and insignificant. I made this album between 2001-2002 and it was one of the first albums I recorded entirely on multi-track software*. At the time, I was curious about all the free effect plugins which were appearing and I'd search them out and try them. It seemed quite exciting at the time and thought maybe "new" kinds of effects might come along. Friends like Udi and Stevan Tickmayer who were already into computer mixing would send me plugins they liked. I quickly lost interest in that, they always somehow "sounded like a computer" and weren't really interesting to me, just a lot of fussing around for something that usually ended up sounding too "digital", and found that I still preferred making funny sounds by actual physical means, such as putting the mic in a funny place or by extreme use of the oldest and most basic of sound processors like compressors and expanders.

So ever since I made 13 Songs and Thing, I associate it with getting a bit detoured with plugin effects, but last night I actually listened to the whole album and there are really only two or three spots where I "hear" a plugin, and many tracks are completely free of any such effects. Therefore let me amend my previous statement and say that I think 13 Songs is an appropriate addition to the body of work and I enjoyed it a lot after not having heard it for a long time.

This was also just after I did The Skull Mailbox, which had a really strong direction, 13 Songs I allowed to meander a bit with no definite starting point, once again that's probably only due to my recollection of what I felt at the time and doesn't matter now that the album is a part of the growing oeuvre.

* I'd been using a stereo editing program for a couple of years by then called Sound Forge, that's how I recorded The Skull Mailbox - ping-ponging on this stereo program. I also had an Akai 4-track hard disk recorder which I used for editing and occasional overdubbing. I was still recording on ADATs. The first album I mixed entirely on mulitrack (Samplitude) was the second AA Kismet album, which I recorded on ADAT and then copied via optical cable to the computer, and the first time I worked exclusively on Samplitude was 13 Songs.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 03-08-2014 at 02:18 AM.

chalkpie
    Glad you reassessed this album! A littler therapy never hurt anyone I hope I didn't color your opinion!

To my ears, this never sounded like a "plug-in" album by any means. One of the many reasons I love your work is that there is almost always an organic vibe happening throughout, which is a beautiful thing. In terms of cohesiveness, yes I agree it is much different than 'Skull' in that aspect, but that doesn't make it inferior - at least for me. I love stuff that is all over the map if the material is strong enough (which it is).

Well, that is one less question I need to ask you I guess. I am wondering how we could do a (semi?) live type of interview? I have a few ideas, but let me know if you have any also. Danka.

OK Frank and any interested parties, here is the song if you want to listen and read along with Frank's notes!
    http://www.bordebasse.fr/music/bd/rtuuf.html
    Last edited by B D; 03-16-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: fixed url!

chalkpie
    Been hitting The Skull Mailbox again a few times over the past few weeks. I think it needs its own archived thread - I'll probably do that soon. It honestly has become one of my favorite albums of all time by anybody. I have been starting at track 14 "Some Accursed Things" and playing it out - to me that is almost like the equivalent of side 2. I absolutely adore that vocal line melody that starts the piece over that 5/8 groove.

Been hitting The Skull Mailbox again a few times over the past few weeks. I think it needs its own archived thread - I'll probably do that soon. It honestly has become one of my favorite albums of all time by anybody. I have been starting at track 14 "Some Accursed Things" and playing it out - to me that is almost like the equivalent of side 2. I absolutely adore that vocal line melody that starts the piece over that 5/8 groove.

"Side 2" begins with The Demented Statuary, but if you like it to start with Some Accursed Things that's fine too!
    Thanks Frank, glad you enjoy the album. I like it too! It's the first of my albums about which I can look back upon and feel like that was a real good...something. But then every album always feels like I'm on a good track at the time, to varying degrees, but yes The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors was one that I can still look back upon and say, yes, I know this is the right road, the best I could do at the moment, enjoying it all and looking forward to what might come along next time.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

chalkpie
    "Side 2" begins with The Demented Statuary, but if you like it to start with Some Accursed Things that's fine too!
    Thanks Frank, glad you enjoy the album. I like it too! It's the first of my albums about which I can look back upon and feel like that was a real good...something. But then every album always feels like I'm on a good track at the time, to varying degrees, but yes The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors was one that I can still look back upon and say, yes, I know this is the right road, the best I could do at the moment, enjoying it all and looking forward to what might come along next time.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    OK, I'll try and start side two with "Demented" if the boss says so

I'd say I more than enjoy it - its a brilliant work and totally unique with outrageous playing, pieces, atmosphere, and production. It took me a while to really comprehend, but once I found my way in, I was hooked. Seriously one of my favorite albums post-2000. I remember playing it for my buddy a few years back in its entirety. He was pretty unfamiliar with your work but after hearing it he said something to the effect that "Holy crap...now that's genius". I said "Yup!". I don't want to say much more here since the album deserves it own archived thread. Maybe I can convince Duncan to make it a featured CD perhaps? Glad that you dig it as well - I know that us musicians are sometimes are own worst critics.

The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors = my fav BD
    Certainly deserves a thread of its own

Glad that you dig it as well - I know that us musicians are sometimes are own worst critics.
    I view everything I've done as "part of the body of work", it's all OK in its own way. There is no "best" album, or best song, only the ones you've done and the ones you're currently doing which have the benefit of your having done all the previous albums and songs and recordings, everything you have learned along the way and continue to learn and discover. I always prefer the latest songs and albums, but don't "dislike" or disown any of the others although there are some which now I would only listen to myself as a kind of curiosity. I still get a thrill from a lot of the stuff! A person can only do the best they can at the time and I know for sure I am always, only, ever doing that and never choosing an easy way out or lowering my aim.

I think The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors already was a feature here, don't really need to do it again. If anyone is interested they can go to my website and hear some songs from it here: http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm
    But I wouldn't stop you from doing a thread about it as you suggested, I'd be thrilled and would participate in the lofty digressions sure to be spawned.

Right now however I'm pondering a "rebuttal" which I will post on my blog to the many (otherwise positive) reviews of my albums which use the adjective "ADHD" to describe the music, which is about as polar opposite as one could get from the reality and gives people who haven't heard it the wrong impression, as if the songs are quickly thrown together and are not of epic length only because I can't stay interested for more than a few minutes. Apparently some of the symptoms of ADHD include: "Inability to maintain focus on one task", "Becoming bored with a task after only a few minutes" and lots of other things which are about as far from what I do as one could possibly get! I love the hours, days, sometimes weeks of intense concentration needed to come up with, and then to refine, and finally record a song to its final essence. If anything I take my time, because I love being immersed in all of that! Anyway...that'll be on my blog once I get it written in a few days.
    BD
    (the blog is at: http://bdblog.bdrak.com)
    Last edited by B D; 12-10-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Tidying up, you know.

chalkpie
    I view everything I've done as "part of the body of work", it's all OK in its own way. There is no "best" album, or best song, only the ones you've done and the ones you're currently doing which have the benefit of your having done all the previous albums and songs and recordings, everything you have learned along the way and continue to learn and discover. I always prefer the latest songs and albums, but don't "dislike" or disown any of the others although there are some which now I would only listen to myself as a kind of curiosity. I still get a thrill from a lot of the stuff! A person can only do the best they can at the time and I know for sure I am always, only, ever doing that and never choosing an easy way out or lowering my aim.

I think The Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors already was a feature here, don't really need to do it again. If anyone is interested they can go to my website and hear some songs from it here: http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm
    But I wouldn't stop you from doing a thread about it as you suggested, I'd be thrilled and would participate in the lofty digressions sure to be spawned.

Right now however I'm pondering a "rebuttal" which I will post on my blog to the many (otherwise positive) reviews of my albums which use the adjective "ADHD" to describe the music, which is about as polar opposite as one could get from the reality and gives people who haven't heard it the wrong impression, as if the songs are quickly thrown together and are not of epic length only because I can't stay interested for more than a few minutes. Apparently some of the symptoms of ADHD include: "Inability to maintain focus on one task", "Becoming bored with a task after only a few minutes" and lots of other things which are about as far from what I do as one could possibly get! I love the hours, days, sometimes weeks of intense concentration needed to come up with, and then to refine, and finally record a song to its final essence. If anything I take my time, because I love being immersed in all of that! Anyway...that'll be on my blog once I get it written in a few days.
    BD
    (the blog is at: http://bdblog.bdrak.com)
    There is no shortage of idiots roaming about. The people who write that garbage obviously don't get your music (unfortunately for them). It's not easy music by any stretch, but it does take an open mind and someone REALLY willing to abandon all former biases towards what musical attributes usually serve their expectations. Critics are not listening to these albums in the same manner that your hardcore fan are (right here) and IMO not hearing what you are accomplishing in these records. As you know listening and hearing are two very different things. So yeah, go for it!!

I don't want to keep talking about this album here, but you should know that the string part at the beginning of "The Demented Statuary" blows my mind. Really beautiful in its own way and not without a healthy creep factor. Actually reminds me of Ligeti when you hold that pedal tone and then start doing these slow glissandos - then it goes Old Timey for a moment and you're foreshadowing the melody coming up after the percussion hit and silence. Brilliant stuff. Definitely ADHD or maybe even PCP.

There is no shortage of idiots roaming about. The people who write that garbage obviously don't get your music .
    Actually the few reviews I have seen for Lawn Ornaments have been very positive, I have even written to the reviewers to thank them. But maybe all of them use the term ADHD to describe the music, which I think gives a completely wrong idea about it, so it might be time to set that right before it propagates further. I know it doesn't matter at all in the long run, anyone who listens can hear that it's concentrated music that isn't just thrown together quickly because I can't stay interested, I guess it's just one of those things I've seen once too often and want to at least say something about it before it becomes another musical category my work gets automatically filed away in

I don't want to keep talking about this album here, but you should know that the string part at the beginning of "The Demented Statuary" blows my mind.
    Thanks, that was one of those "well let's see if this works" kindof ideas, and it did, with a healthy dose of "happy accidents" which are always helpful. (those few pizzicato violin notes were something I tried in a previous take and decided not to use, but accidentaly left in and loved it. They weren't even done in time with the existing violins, being from a different take, but it was perfect! )

You know the bass part in this tune...I tuned all the strings on the bass to same note and played them all at the same time, just laid all my fingers across the frets and slid up and down.

What?! Another Bob Drake thread??!!

YES.

I love the anecdotes about the writing/recording of the songs!