Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Cow Discussion

Received the book, Redux and the Bonus CD and I must say for me, it was an experience both with the book and sitting down and bingeing on the CD's from start to finish (+15 hours) took me Saturday and Sunday. I am glad I did because the 40th Anniversary I played sporadically, not sure why but I did? Sonically, with the remastering of all the CD's its truly an improvement.

The book I have found to be a scholarly read and difficult in spots and re-reads and rereads were necessary but also expected. However, I think its to my benefit because its forcing me to do some research in certain areas.

Haven't reached the shagging part!

The complete version of "Hieronymo's mad again" (BBC 1971) has finally turned up.

Strangely, the booklet for the recent "Ex Box" CD of rarities makes the claim that it's Martin Ditcham drumming on the 1971 recording "Poglith" - which, it is also claimed, is the tape made by the band in Cambridge to enter John Peel's "Rockortunity Knocks" competition which resulted in the band's first BBC broadcast, rather than the broadcast in question, or part thereof. Yet in the 1975 Zig Zag article on Henry Cow, John Greaves clearly states that Sean Jenkins, not his replacement Ditcham, "did the tapes for Peel, and the subsequent broadcast". The quote also underlines that two distinct recordings were made - the 'Cambridge tape' and the actual BBC session - recorded May 4th and broadcast May 29th. The notes claim the BBC recording was "destroyed", yet some of the 1971 recordings have been in circulation for years, so was that always the (supposedly never broadcast) demo tape, or - more likely - part of the BBC session ? Headache-inducing stuff...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Ben Piekut has tapes of Frank Perry playing "Hieronymo" and "Poglith" with Henry Cow in 1969 (p.49 note 30). He also has another version of "Poglith" (9:53), presumably the BBC session then (p. 417 note 22).

Catching up on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I too have the book. I flipped through to a random page and there was a dense academic discussion around improvisational forms. I flipped through to another random page and it was about who was shagging who. So the book seems to efficiently cover all possible angles! I look forward to reading it.

Henry
    The equation must've been fairly complex at a given point, as there sere up to three X unknowns and three (even four) Y probably very declared values

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for Grace Slickian-caliber soap-intrigue I only knew about the Dagmar/Greaves affair, but I see there's something good comin'.

Who didn't want to know this kinda thing about the band?
    the equation was much easier in the Airplane, as there was only one X value, and she did everyone but Marty and Papa John.

However the X values were certainly not unknown in Fleetwood Mac as they advanced unmasked, thus confirming the Rumours .

===============

More seriously though, it looks like I'm going to have to order the book, and not just for the coucheries.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ According to Kaukonen, at least when I interviewed him more than a quarter of a century ago, the thing about Grace S. was that she presented younger guys with the sexual mentality of an experienced, well-read mature woman. She was not like pussyfooting flowergirls but "[…] like meeting Lauren Bacall for a quickie" - and they accepted. Which heteronormative 1960s spotty dude in his right mind wouldn't.

Apparently this was the reason why Slick initially turned up with Spencer Dryden; he was eventually the "grownup" one, the drinking, fistfighting and swearing one with a Level of life-experience. Of course, that didn't last either. Slick used to be a model before marrying that guy in The Great Society, and I've seen some of her photos; she was an absolutely spectacular young woman. Interestingly, she was never very attracted to Alex "Skip" Spence, seeing him very early on for the complete untrustworthy nutcase he was.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ According to Kaukonen, at least when I interviewed him more than a quarter of a century ago, the thing about Grace S. was that she presented younger guys with the sexual mentality of an experienced, well-read mature woman. She was not like pussyfooting flowergirls but "[…] like meeting Lauren Bacall for a quickie" - and they accepted. Which heteronormative 1960s spotty dude in his right mind wouldn't.

Apparently this was the reason why Slick initially turned up with Spencer Dryden; he was eventually the "grownup" one, the drinking, fistfighting and swearing one with a Level of life-experience. Of course, that didn't last either. Slick used to be a model before marrying that guy in The Great Society, and I've seen some of her photos; she was an absolutely spectacular young woman. Interestingly, she was never very attracted to Alex "Skip" Spence, seeing him very early on for the complete untrustworthy nutcase he was.
    Earl Slick was her husband's name and kept the name after the divorce... Which was why she was invoted by Cynthia Nixon uder har maiden name (Barnett) to a White House reception for her birthday. Grace had planned to spike the punch bowl with LSD, but showed up with Leary or Huxley at her arm, which was a big mistake, since they were (well he was) spotted. I still like to believe she would've been undetected at the security gard and let in.
    Apparently she slept with Casady once (and first) because he was sent out by the band to hire her. She did Jorma on a couple of occasions, before settling in for Dryden for almost two years. She used to drunkenly pound on Marty's hotel room door to fuck him, but he wouldn't let her in (he actually had a real jealousy problem with her stage persona)... I can't help but thinking at Kantner being the last in line, but ending up knocking her up. You can be sure she did Covington as well, though I wouldn't know about Barbata. Skip Spence was out of the band before Grace arrived I think

Anyways, back to Henry's multiple orgies
    Last edited by Trane; 12-07-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Skip Spence was out of the band before Grace arrived I think
    According to Kaukonen, everybody knew Spence and had the odd dealings with him. He was ADHD and "got around", as they say - the younger rendition of a Neal Cassady. I asked Kaukonen back then and he said that Signe T.A. was in love with Spence for a short while but found him "unreliable". Who would have thought?

As for the sexual liberation-process of the 60s/70s as such, there are plentyful of interviews with people like Renate Knaup to tell the great stories. But I can also tell that when I saw Inga Rumpf in the late 90s in Hamburg she was still "liberated" (not to my gain) and so was Dagmar K. when she came with Tim H. to perform his Stop Mortal in Bergen in '97. So what? To be human is real, although there are limits to humanity - if not to reality.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    The complete version of "Hieronymo's mad again" (BBC 1971) has finally turned up.

oh, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Earl Slick was her husband's name and kept the name after the divorce...
    Jerry Slick. And his brother Darby Slick wrote "Somebody to Love." Guitarist Earl Slick is no relation, that being a stage name.

And I learned from the Cow book that one of the male Cows in particular was a real horndog, and that what I thought I already knew about one of the female members was not accurate.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

And I learned from the Cow book that one of the male Cows in particular was a real horndog...
    In fairness to 'horndog', he was willing to own up to and discuss his affairs and their repercussions on the band.

The book mentions towards the end that there were many other affairs that other members of the band did not want to discuss for a book.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

So what?
    absolutely

oh, man.
    indeed, a facet that is not their best known

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Jerry Slick. And his brother Darby Slick wrote "Somebody to Love." Guitarist Earl Slick is no relation, that being a stage name.

And I learned from the Cow book that one of the male Cows in particular was a real horndog, and that what I thought I already knew about one of the female members was not accurate.
    My bad for Slick indeed (how could I wall.gif ? )

As for Horny Bull, they were avant-guard, but maybe the liked the rear-guard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The book mentions towards the end that there were many other affairs that other members of the band did not want to discuss for a book.

Naaaaaah, !!

Not everyone writes tunes like Fuck Like a Beast or Too Drunk To Fuck and name themselves We Are Sex Perverts.

Just a small warning to those who have purchased (or have the intention to) the 50th Anniversary Redux Box: check disc #4 (In Praise of Learning), some (but not all) have a manufacturing issue and are unplayable (broken sound/crackling noises,...). All the other discs in the box are OK. This has also been reported on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums. I sent an e-mail to the producer/distributor of the box about this issue (ReR MEGACORP) but never got any reply from them. Too bad...

Been doing the Cow recently. I never bought the box but am considering it. Am I crazy or is the download price more than the actual CD price at BC?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Been doing the Cow recently. I never bought the box but am considering it. Am I crazy or is the download price more than the actual CD price at BC?
    I suggest buying a physical copy. The booklets alone are worth it!
    And you'd get it all in one bang.
    I want to order the extra cd/booklet.

IMO

The extra CD is meh, compared to the pretty great and thorough curation of the original box. Not necessary unless you are a huge fan
    AND
    The add’l booklet seemed, on a quick glance, to be mostly, stuff in the book.

Having said that, the physical item AND the original 10 discs AND the original booklets are great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks Steve. I was on the fence about it. I may get the book... but the original box set liner notes may be enough info for me.
    I don't care who was screwing who

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I never bought the box but am considering it.
    Same here. I need more Cow in my life.

It's the man who was mentioned earlier in here and who's indeed also a member in this forum and a participant in this very thread. A reworking of his master's degree dissertation, I believe. I've read parts of it and those parts were good.

I hope that Mick and Slick never crossed that line. I would like to think that she maintained a more motherly role to the other members of the Starship.

I prolly shouldn't have mentioned Slick to begin with in a thread about the most advanced and progressive rock combo of the 70s.

Must-have!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Must-have!
    And ordered. (Few more Cassiber albums also coming up.)
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Is it an extended/revised version of the thesis he made years ago, that was available through the university's website?

(I have it somewhere on my pc)