Thread: Henry Cow Discussion

Hmm... I like equally both mixes of Leg End.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

Having heard the remix first, I actually like it, I think in some parts it has some more balls, the breaks are more defined. This does not bode with the other remarks here about extra reverb etc...
    Anyway I think it's worth having both.

And in other news- in Fred Friths website there is a show in Italy called "Henry Now" -

2022-11-18
    Piacenza, Italy, tba
    HENRY NOW w. Cutler, Frith, Greaves, Hodgkinson

Anyone knows whats in store? Will it be purely improvisational? Will it echo Henry Cow in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    And in other news- in Fred Friths website there is a show in Italy called "Henry Now" -

2022-11-18
    Piacenza, Italy, tba
    HENRY NOW w. Cutler, Frith, Greaves, Hodgkinson

Anyone knows whats in store? Will it be purely improvisational? Will it echo Henry Cow in any way?
    I seem to remember that Frith implied in recent interview that it will be purely improvisational.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    The Legend remix was one of the saddest first-time-listens I ever had, after being completely in love for years with the original mix (which, for all its eccentricity, feels perfect to me). The only time I was ever more upset listening to something was the first time I heard “Children of Sanchez” by Chuck Mangione, and that was so upsetting I brought it out to the backyard and stomped it. I wasn’t that demonstrative with the Legend remix, I merely sold it, I didn’t destroy it.
    Now I'm curious about your extreme reaction to Mangione's album. Was it worse than his previous albums?

^^^

At the time I found it way way worse than his previous albums, many of which I enjoyed a lot. This one seemed absurdly padded out, repetitious, uninspired and lazy to me. Now I’m curious to hear it again and see if I disagree with teenage myself.

But man, this “Henry Now” business is fantastic news! First I’ve heard of it. When was the last time these four guys played together?

^^^

At the time I found it way way worse than his previous albums, many of which I enjoyed a lot. This one seemed absurdly padded out, repetitious, uninspired and lazy to me. Now I’m curious to hear it again and see if I disagree with teenage myself.

But man, this “Henry Now” business is fantastic news! First I’ve heard of it. When was the last time these four guys played together?
    In 2014 for the three Lindsay Cooper tribute concerts, but along with many others. So, no precedent, I think, of these four playing a full set on their own (since September/October 1974, that is). There have been 3-man variations over the years - Hodgkinson/Frith/Cutler (NYC 2003), Frith/Greaves/Cutler (2018? I saw one of these), plus Frith sitting in with the Artaud Beats (with Cutler, Greaves and Leigh), a shortlived incarnation of Half the Sky with Cutler, Hodgkinson, Greaves and Krause, etc.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Is it worth having both - or is the remix blasphemy?
    Ιt's a blasphemy to my ears that own the original vinyls. They even removed instruments from the initial recording.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-09-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Ιt's a blasphemy to my ears that own the original vinyls. They even removed instruments from the initial recording.
    I have an old worn LP, but want it on CD - preferably the original mix remastered with an improved sound (perhaps also the Frith remix for shits & giggles).
    But it is worth it to get a japanese, and how to avoid the original mix CD with low volume & dynamics...

Those and many other troubles haunts me.

Just one night in Piacenza for "Henry Now"? Well I hope it proves not to be just a one-off and will be a harbinger of more to come. Probably not I imagine, but one can hope. Perhaps they will consider recording the show. Improvisations are fine with me - some of my favorite post-Cow moments are within the Cutler/Frith collaborations.

I've been an HC fan since I bought a copy of In Praise of Learning in the late 70s and I've been intrigued ever since.

I have an old worn LP, but want it on CD - preferably the original mix remastered with an improved sound (perhaps also the Frith remix for shits & giggles).
    Hodgkinson remix actually, I believe?

Hodgkinson remix actually, I believe?
    If we're discussing Legend, the credits on the ESD CD say Hodgkinson remixed it except "Nirvana" and "Teenbeat" where he and Frith remixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If we're discussing Legend, the credits on the ESD CD say Hodgkinson remixed it except "Nirvana" and "Teenbeat" where he and Frith remixed it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I want it, I want it, I want it, give it to me.

I was thinking of going to Italy in October - damn, maybe I'll make that November!

I found this

I was asked to enquire if anyone here has or knows of any unreleased
    recordings they have that think are great and deserve to be
    released by the group

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I
    I was asked to enquire if anyone here has or knows of any unreleased recordings they have that think are great and deserve to be
    released by the group
    Brixton '78 is indeed the one I would suggest. A longer (85') version exists but does not circulate, afaik.

I know of, but don't have*, several pro recordings :

1973-11-04 Manor studios (unused pro footage and outtakes of the Greasy Truckers session may exist)
    1973-09/11 UK tour w. Faust (Virgin has the tapes)
    1973-09-30 Guildford (sbd, mentioned by Jack Wruff on fb)
    1974-09-26 Groningen (radio station still has the tapes) ; a 62’ tape is in circulation [mentioned by Mike Davies on fb]
    1975-05-08 Paris (INA still has the tape)
    1975-07-25 Oslo (“live recordings from Oslo not published” mentioned by Zeuhlmate in Progressive Ears)
    1975-10-13 Udine (pro recording partly used in Concerts)
    1976-10-02 Venice sbd 90’
    1976-11-10 Paris fm 62'
    1977-11-09 Bourges 60’ sbd
    1977-11-20 Paris (professional recording) mentioned in the Concerts album booklet)
    1977 Nottingham University sbd (mentioned by John Cockrill on fb)
    1978-03-28 Stockholm, Kulturhuset (radio broadcast) [Orckestra]
    1978-04-20 Paris fm (Lions of Desire)

* anyone ?
    Last edited by unclemeat; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:08 AM.

^^^^^^^^^^

There is definitely the rest of the show from Henie Onstadt (Oslo) that one side of Concerts comes from.

There is/was also 3 x 45’ of reels that Mike Zentner brought back and made a copy for his Muffin buddies after meeting Cow in 1976; iirc, when the box was being assembled, I (and perhaps Renato Moraes) brought them to the attention of Chris, but I don’t think that he used any of them, although I am not certain.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ I believe it was Hans Voigt who kept the remaining Henie Onstad tapes in store.

I haven't spoken to Hans in a decade, but he once told me there were several other ripe beauties from the vaults at HO Art Centre in addition to the very fine 1971 reels of Soft Machine he made available for release in 2009. Hans was a young and aspiring stage technician back then and knew Frode Holm (of Compendium Records and the great Vanessa band) very well, facilitating sonic conditions and adequate equipment for recording live performances whenever artists allowed or wished for it.

Nowadays he's still listed as stage manager at Nationaltheatret, the main forum of professional drama in Norway, albeit the last I heard he'd formally retired. During his decades at National he apparently collected dozens of filed documentations of productions, musical as well as theatrical, some most likely lo-fi cassette-type exhibits still also a couple of rumoured gems sporting excellent quality. Pehaps the most mythical of all 60s/70s Norwegian psychedelic-come-progressive groups, Rain, were among these. They worked extensively as both soundtrackers and backing ensemble for Radio dramas and dwelled on advanced technological innovations and solutions, being as influenced by serious contemporary composers like Arne Nordheim and Kåre Kolberg as by rock (Procol Harum, Moodies, early KCrimson and more). I never got to hear it, though.

Anyways...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have just talked to Hans Voigt and he says that Fred Frith have had the Henie Onstad recording for about 10 years, Chris have had it for about 5 years, and Dagmar Krause have had it for about a month.
    So, if they had wanted to do something with the recording, the opportunity was there, and still is.
    Chris also has the contact-info to the guy who manages the archive with the original tapes.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I haven't spoken to Hans in a decade, but he once told me there were several other ripe beauties from the vaults at HO Art Centre in addition to the very fine 1971 reels of Soft Machine he made available for release in 2009.
    I'm hoping to do something [digital-only] with the two full days of Soft Machine (2/27 & 2/28 1971 - only 2/28 has been released before - it's also admittedly the better of the two shows).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I want it, I want it, I want it, give it to me.
    I give it you back when you finish the lunch tea.

I have just talked to Hans Voigt
    Well, at least he's still among us.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM