Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415

Thread: Henry Cow Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ There was also a Norwegian guy calling himself trondis in here who published a PhD (or MD, I can't remember) on HC about a decade back. I read parts of it and it was highly informative and enlightening.
    That's me. I was hoping to publish an English translation of my MA thesis. It was basically finished last year. Cutler has read it, made corrections, comments and made it more readable. But I am waiting for response regarding my transcription of one of the pieces before I can proceed. It has taken a very long time to get that response, so I have to nag a bit more. A final proofreading is also needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    That's me. I was hoping to publish an English translation of my MA thesis. It was basically finished last year. Cutler has read it, made corrections, comments and made it more readable. But I am waiting for response regarding my transcription of one of the pieces before I can proceed. It has taken a very long time to get that response, so I have to nag a bit more. A final proofreading is also needed.
    It can take a while to turn these things into publications. A year isn't that long! (I've supervised many Master's theses.) I look forward to seeing the final product.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    That's me.
    I remember. But i do seem to recall how you made it (temporarily) available to read as well. I didn't get to take in all of it, though.

Did you ever read Jarle Storløkken's (Panzerpappa) thesis on Thinking Plague and COMA, following trail? It's quite intriguing.

https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/27165?show=full
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I remember. But i do seem to recall how you made it (temporarily) available to read as well. I didn't get to take in all of it, though.

Did you ever read Jarle Storløkken's (Panzerpappa) thesis on Thinking Plague and COMA, following trail? It's quite intriguing.

https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/27165?show=full
    The original version of the thesis was available from my homepage at the university (NTNU). It might be there still.

I did read Storløkken's thesis, yes. Very good!

The plan for my thesis is to self-publish through a print-on-demand service. A professional publiser would probably not be interested anyway. And academic publishers demand an outrageous amount of money from the authors. Some of my collegues published a book as open access (meaning free downloads) earlier this year. They set the PDF file themselves and everything. But the publisher demanded NOK 140 000 to do their part of the job, whatever that was.

Considering the relative obscurity of Henry Cow in the general rock book, the amount of academic (musical and social/cultural) writing on them is getting impressive. A complete anomaly.
    Not surprising, though. They were one of the few rock bands that really put considerable thought into, and had, an intellectual basis for almost everything they did; and moreover, one of the few for whom that basis had a strong connection with mainstream academic theory and philosophy. Even Frank Zappa - recipient of perhaps as many studies - mostly drew upon his own self-invented intellectual concepts. Also, their music went about as far toward serious, up-to-date classical compositions as that of any rock band; in their particular direction of extreme complexity I don't know of anyone in the rock field who has gone further. (Again, maybe Zappa, but his music is the product of a self-taught eccentric and has only an occasional connection with accepted academic theory.)

I read parts of it and it was highly informative and enlightening.
    I have it but I cannot read Norwegian.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    It's the same author; I hope the book is more readable...

What kind of methodological position could emerge from the act of stepping away from the choice to assert or to disassemble subjectivity, when subjectivity is understood to be something “that the black cannot have but by which the black can be had; a structural position that he or she cannot take but by which he or she can be taken”? That path, I believe, leads to an improvisation of fictiveness and fabulation, where telling a story in sound about the truth of the self is the same as telling a lie. To improvise is to lie, or to tell the truth about a lie, or to expose the lie of the true self.

The Afrological and the Eurological are less opposed approaches to spontaneity than they are tightly braided pathways — complementary, contravivial, but still asymmetrical — around this shared truth illuminated by the ontological demands of blackness. The self that might be given away or denied through Eurological improvisation can make no rightful claim to an origin, because it is the product of a historical and ontological system that precedes and exceeds it, a system that founds white selfhood on the denial of black humanity. By contrast, the self that is asserted in Afrological improvisation is already an unstable one bearing the contradictions of double consciousness. For white improvisers (like Henry Cow) seeking to strip away the power relationships sedimented in their identities, it would seem that the Afrological mode harbors the possibility of loosening up these reifications, while the Eurological can do little more than attempt to forget them.

^^^ Great read. I found the HC member interviews to be educational and downright interesting. And it is pretty readable by academic standards.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    And it is pretty readable by
    American
    academic standards.
    (hope you don't mind the interjection)

I don't mean to speak unkindly of Ben - or in this instance George Lewis since this is a summary of his views - but this "Afrological" nonsense, as regards musical improvisation at least, is way off the mark. It can only lead to a nasty place. Like Evergreen College or something.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    I don't mean to speak unkindly of Ben, - or in this instance George Lewis since this is a summary of his views - but this "Afrological" nonsense, as regards musical improvisation at least, is way off the mark.
    I am not talking here about a particular view, but the hermetic language employed by Piekut. I am very fond of George Lewis' book "A Power Stronger than Itself" where he lays out his concepts in an academic yet understandable and illuminating fashion, but I cannot say the same about Piekut's ignotum per ignotius.

If his book on Henry Cow follows the contravivial pathway of his paper I won't be able to discern the separation of a dilute suspension of solid particles in the band's improvisations into a concentrated slurry of their ontological identity and a supernatant liquid of their fictive consciousness.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    If his book on Henry Cow follows the contravivial pathway of his paper I won't be able to discern the separation of a suspension of the solid particles in the band's improvisations into a concentrated slurry of their ontological identity and a supernatant liquid of their fictive consciousness.
    Any author worth his salt will write for their audience, which will clearly be different for a journal paper and a book.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    After completing my own thorough analysis, I have concluded that Henry Cow creates a highly refined aesthetic while imparting vital emotional content, however I look forward to reading the more informed commentary on this seminal band that dared to express the true spirit of rock (rebellion against the existing order). In the meantime I’ll just curl up with a Kenny G album and consume vast quantities of high-fructose corn syrup.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I am not talking here about a particular view, but the hermetic language employed by Piekut.
    Of course. Although certain ideologies can only be expressed via hermetic language. One might even need to express them vaguely. Publish or perish !
    But if one's ideas suck, one will never be able to express them clearly. Conversely, to put it in gallocentric terms, "ce qui se conçoit bien s'énonce clairement" (Boileau). Two sides of the same coin.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:13 AM.

As an academic myself I am well aware of how much BS we can churn out... Often with papers like Piekut's I like to separate the source material from the analysis. here the source material is informative--I really learned a lot from the assembled interview texts. And I'm very glad Piekut presents so much of the source material in raw form in his article. A lot of times academics present virtually none of the source material--interviews, quantitative data--they just vaguely allude to it when presenting their theories.

It was fascinating to hear from HC in their own words how they perceived what they were doing both before and after the end of their group.

Here is my analysis:

Henry Cow rules !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Here is my analysis:

Henry Cow rules !
    Your Henry Cow book is not on my autobuy-list
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

As an academic myself I am well aware of how much BS we can churn out...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_generator

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Your Henry Cow book is not on my autobuy-list
    - but... you will grasp the most important stuff about HC in just 1 second !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    - but... you will grasp the most important stuff about HC in just 1 second !
    Yeah but I already knew that one! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Lewis's Afrological vs. Eurological thesis is quite coherent, imv.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes