Thread: New Missing Persons

New Missing Persons

New Missing Persons record is out this week. I used to like these guys back in the day. The band on the record this time around is Dale Bozzio - Vocals, Billy Sherwood - everything else.

First single:

And some tour dates:

3/07/14 W. Hollywood Ca – Whisky A Go-Go with Gene Loves Jezebel
    3/21/14 Bellflower, Ca – New Wave Bar
    3/22/14 Montclair, Ca – That 80s Bar
    3/29/14 Costa Mesa, Ca – Tiki Bar
    3/30/14 Malibu, Ca – Private Event
    4/11/14 Pasadena, Ca – T Boyles Tavern
    4/12/14 Santa Fe Springs, Ca – 3rd Annual Craft Beer Festival
    4/17/14 Portland, Or – Tonic Lounge
    9/27/14 Melbourne, Fl – Wickham Pavilion – 80s In The Park

Not much of a "band", there.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Not much of a "band", there.
    Well, they are "missing persons"...

30 year old footage; that video doesn't show how ungracefully Dale has aged over the years. Drum machine? When the last incarnation toured a year or so ago the drummer was quite good.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"Missing Persons"

Couldn't possibly just call it a Dale Bozzio solo album now, could we?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

This means there's now only a couple degrees of separation between anyone and William Shatner. Shatner->Sherwood->Dale->Terry Bozzio->all kinds of people

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...issing-Persons
    With its first studio album in 25 years, Missing Persons featuring Dale Bozzio could have started slow, mindful of the time that's passed.
    But why bother when the energy is vibrant, the spirit willing and Bozzio — the lone original member of the newly reformed band — bursting to show there's energy comparable to the 1980s-era original incarnation that released "Walking in L.A.," ''Words" and "Destination Unknown." The 12-track release is largely a showcase for Bozzio and Billy Sherwood, who's credited not only with drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, percussion and backing vocals, but having written most of the songs, too. That means the title track is an apt one, at least in regard to the original band's lineup.
    The focus, however, is on Bozzio. Her 1980s new wave chirping and visualized kinetic persona propelled that version of Missing Persons to stardom on MTV.
    Now, her voice is matured, measured even, and accomplished. Bozzio doesn't have to prove anything and that's evident from the opening track "Do or Die," a fast-paced, keyboard-laced back-and-forth that brings to mind whirling and swirling. "Looking to the left, looking to the right, looking for the fire to ignite," she sings, a wall of vibrating sound enhancing the effect of spinning. It's a song that would not seem out of place in either 1985 or 2014. In all, the album is solidly done. The range of the tracks move from dance-floor staples to slow-dance grippers. Bozzio's still got her form and the music is not out of place.
    Recent interview with Dale-
    http://www.antimusic.com/morley/14/MissingPersons.shtml
    Last edited by Obscured; 03-03-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Billy Sherwood, who's credited not only with drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, percussion and backing vocals, but having written most of the songs, too.
    Okay, scratch that. A Billy Sherwood solo album?!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Okay, scratch that. A Billy Sherwood solo album?!!
    One or the other. Missing Persons was originally a spinoff of Frank Zappa's band. Without drummer extraordinaire Terry Bozzio, or Patrick O'Hearn, or Warren Cuccurullo, there is no Zappa connection. Sherwood was never in the band before. They were a decent and fun '80s band, however, and if they want to give it another try, I wish them luck. I would be glad to listen to their new album. I never saw a Missing Persons video. The only band member I ever saw was Terry Bozzio, when I went to a Frank Zappa concert in 1977.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I never saw a Missing Persons video.
    If you should ever wish to-

Or, if you meant an official promo video-

You should have posted their first video on Mtv. I was always mesmerized when it came on back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    You should have posted their first video on Mtv. I was always mesmerized when it came on back in the day.
    MTV aired the video for Words before Destination Unknown...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

One day someone will call Billy Sherwood up to see if he can produce a Shaggs reunion album and he'll sign on the dotted line faster than you can say "Jack Robinson."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I had received an advance cd and forgot about it. I will listen to this tonight for, sure.

After watching those vintage videos, it's pretty astounding to realize how much of Lady Gaga's act was lifted directly from Dale Bozzio. And here I'd thought she was mostly a Madonna imitator...

In those videos, you can actually see Terry Bozzio struggling to resist playing tons of fills over everything.

Sad. From Terry on drums to a machine. And music that makes no effort to be any different than it was 30 years ago. Three decades ago!! Give it up Dale
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    After watching those vintage videos, it's pretty astounding to realize how much of Lady Gaga's act was lifted directly from Dale Bozzio.
    Always thought Gwen Stefani/No Doubt lifted directly from Dale/Missing Persons.

When the last incarnation toured a year or so ago the drummer was quite good.
    3 years ago-

I lived in LA for almost a decade, mid 90s-mid 00s, and one thing that surprised me when I moved there was that there were a bunch of bands who were pretty much forgotten everywhere else but retained a local following and got a lot of good club gigs. Missing Persons was one of these. Some form of "Missing Persons" played fairly regularly. I think sometimes it was the real original band and sometimes just Dale with new people. But my point is that she/they never really went away.

It is amusing to me that she has done the "Sherwood thing". Maybe we'll get to hear her new record on progstreaming?

Always thought Gwen Stefani/No Doubt lifted directly from Dale/Missing Persons.
    I see that, but nowhere near to the same degree that Gaga has ripped off Dale. There's a certain self-awareness that both Dale and Gaga share, whereas Gwen Stefani seems to be more earnest about her tackiness.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It better be pure prog if Billy expects us to listen to it.

Billy Sherwood - the most desperately working man in music!