Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTF in concert,1973. WOW!!!

RTF in concert,1973. WOW!!!

Omg, I had no idea there was footage of Bill Connors and Stanley playing a single pick-up Rickenbacker Bass.

Enjoy Pt. 1.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 03-03-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: It should say 1974.

Chick and Stanley are "smoking" in this one.

Not that I'm an expert on Stanley Clarke or anything but I had NO IDEA he played a Rick. Back in the day, I've only seen him with his Alembics.

just in cazse this goes to PM land
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Not that I'm an expert on Stanley Clarke or anything but I had NO IDEA he played a Rick. Back in the day, I've only seen him with his Alembics.

I know right? I think he was after a certain tone,perhaps he is a fan of Yes. The Alembic Piccolo bass had a very thin neck and an Alembic can sound like whatever you want it to. This is the first time I have seen Bill Connors doing his thing. God he was awesome. Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy is my fave RTF anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    just in cazse this goes to PM land
    What are you not saying Trane?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What are you not saying Trane?
    Just a way of subscribing/bookmarking this thread , since I've no time ntoday to view this
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Fantastic. Seen it before but always worth another look... I could listen to these guys - in any version of the band - play all day long.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Omg, I had no idea there was footage of Bill Connors and Stanley playing a single pick-up Rickenbacker Bass.

Enjoy Pt. 1.
    Worst sound quality I have ever heard.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

He makes that Rick look like a small toy. Amazing players, all of them.

Great vid! When I saw them (probably only months before this video), Stanley was playing some sort of a Gibson bass. And they had Mingo Lewis playing percussion with them.

Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy is my fave RTF anyway.
    Same here.

They did a TV appearance here in the UK in the same era on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' doing 'Space Circus'.

I wonder if Stanley had that Rick custom made for him. I'm sure his thinking was that with only the bridge pickup it would defang the Rick's notorious trebly attack and make it sound more warm and "jazzy". It works to some extent, but he's also got some fuzz on it, which helps give it more sustain but also muddies the tone all to hell. The good thing about the Rick you see during his solo spot is that it really projects, especially at the mid and upper end. But at the end of the day it's just not a viable jazz bass.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

As this is a "Musikladen Extra" show it can not be from 1973 'cause that show started in May 1974.
    (Musikladen was the follow up to "Beat Club")

RTF at their peak.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Lenny White - playin' in platform shoes - just too good!

THis is the shit! I didn't get to see this tour. Saw them on the first Di Meola album tour. Bill Conners!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I wonder if Stanley had that Rick custom made for him. I'm sure his thinking was that with only the bridge pickup it would defang the Rick's notorious trebly attack and make it sound more warm and "jazzy". It works to some extent, but he's also got some fuzz on it, which helps give it more sustain but also muddies the tone all to hell. The good thing about the Rick you see during his solo spot is that it really projects, especially at the mid and upper end. But at the end of the day it's just not a viable jazz bass.
    It's a standard Ric 4000. Bridge pickup only will make a guitar or bass brighter, not warmer. I've seen old clips of him with his Gibson EB2, and that had some distortion too, which I believe is just the amp overdriving. Just saw Stanley Friday night. It was great!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    It's a standard Ric 4000. Bridge pickup only will make a guitar or bass brighter, not warmer. I've seen old clips of him with his Gibson EB2, and that had some distortion too, which I believe is just the amp overdriving. Just saw Stanley Friday night. It was great!
    Duh, you're right about the pickup thing. Here's some info on the 4000:

The 4000 was the first bass made by Rickenbacker about 1957 +/- In the early 60s they came out with the 4001 with 2 pickups. The 2 pickup version has more tonal capability, but the basic sound is the same. Many of the old 4000 basses got converted into 4001 by the addition of a neck pickup. The 4000 basses of the 50s and 60s were neck through. The 4000 basses of the 70s were set neck basses. The 4000 model did not sell well because for a few dollars more a customer could have the deluxe version with 2 pickups. The main attraction of the 4000 model is the rareness factor.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Actually Gibson made an EB solid body bass with a fuzz circuit inside. http://www.premierguitar.com/article..._Fuzztone_Bass
    But I'm sure Stanley didn't have one of those. Jack Bruce got a chip placed in his EB3 so that it got a more overdriven sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Lenny White - playin' in platform shoes - just too good!
    the dude was always about crazy fashion... made competition with Mouzon as the sharpest-dressed drummer, I heard somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    As this is a "Musikladen Extra" show it can not be from 1973 'cause that show started in May 1974.
    (Musikladen was the follow up to "Beat Club")
    I wrote in small letters in the first post that I messed up and it should say 1974. That's the problem with being unable to edit a header here.

I need to dl this!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    And before that, on HttSG, I thought he used a Gibson bass....never heard of him using a Ricki until now....

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And before that, on HttSG, I thought he used a Gibson bass....never heard of him using a Ricki until now....
    All I ever saw him playing was that mini-Alembic aka Piccolo Bass. The Ric was a shock. But I think it's Bill Connors that is the main attraction here.