Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59

Thread: Musicians and their Lookalikes

  1. #26
    Brilliant theist composer, Krzysztof Penderecki -


    4097876.jpg



    Brilliant atheist philosopher and cognitive scientist, Daniel Dennett -



    _66624596_daniel_dennett.jpg
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  2. #27
    Well, no one else is contributing, but I'm entertaining myself a heck of a lot.



    Under appreciated American composer, Joseph Schwantner -


    250px-Schwantner.jpg


    Under appreciated (by Tim Taylor) contractor, Al Borland -


    a2.jpg
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  3. #28
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Brilliant theist composer, Krzysztof Penderecki -

    Brilliant atheist philosopher and cognitive scientist, Daniel Dennett -
    Ok, they look alike, but brilliant and atheist in the same sentence, not liking that very much.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Ok, they look alike, but brilliant and atheist in the same sentence, not liking that very much.
    beats using misguided believer in the same sentence. ;-)

    I don't approve of the label Atheist myself. I prefer Realist. ;-)

  5. #30
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Ok, they look alike, but brilliant and atheist in the same sentence, not liking that very much.
    Why not? Why would that matter?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Am I the only one that also sees a bit of Linda Ronstadt in both of them?



    Attachment 3339
    a lot of women are trying to look like Lynnette
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    beats using misguided believer in the same sentence. ;-)

    I don't approve of the label Atheist myself. I prefer Realist. ;-)
    unrealist
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    beats using misguided believer in the same sentence. ;-)

    I don't approve of the label Atheist myself. I prefer Realist. ;-)
    I'm with author Sam Harris on this one.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Harris_%28author%29

    There's no word to describe anyone who doesn't believe in Zeus, or astrology, so why do we need a word to describe someone who doesn't believe in religion?

  9. #34
    I was watching PERSON OF INTEREST and realized that Michael Emerson looks a lot like Robert Fripp
    Last edited by the winter tree; 03-14-2014 at 02:52 PM.

  10. #35
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Why not? Why would that matter?
    I really didn't want to expand on this. I just don't find it all that brilliant to totally rule out the possibility that there is something more than this life or this physical universe. I'm much more sympathetic to an agnostic, who at least admits they don't really know, or a believer who knows it's a matter of faith.

  11. #36
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    beats using misguided believer in the same sentence. ;-)

    I don't approve of the label Atheist myself. I prefer Realist. ;-)
    So it's realistic to believe we are here as the result of some happy accidents? You either believe or don't, that is fine. But to be so sure of yourself? At least I admit to sometimes struggling with believing, which is totally normal for any Christian. No believing would be the easy way out IMO. I do think your comment though is intended to insult. It's just not nice. I don't get this need of some non-believers feeling the need to put down people of faith. I have a healthy disagreement with non-believers, but would never demean them. My closest friend is not a believer, but he respects those who do, which I've always admired.

  12. #37
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  13. #38
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,508
    Oh my God!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  14. #39
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh my God!
    Exactly! That is scary!

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    So it's realistic to believe we are here as the result of some happy accidents? You either believe or don't, that is fine. But to be so sure of yourself? At least I admit to sometimes struggling with believing, which is totally normal for any Christian. No believing would be the easy way out IMO. I do think your comment though is intended to insult. It's just not nice. I don't get this need of some non-believers feeling the need to put down people of faith. I have a healthy disagreement with non-believers, but would never demean them. My closest friend is not a believer, but he respects those who do, which I've always admired.

    Wrong thread for this but I am trying to help. ;-) I guess it would be pointless to have a discussion about the existence of Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns and other imaginary friends? I would struggle to if I believed, but I don't; simple as that. Priests struggle every day, addicts struggle, the majority of good-folks folks struggle with something on a daily basis. Not me ,my friend, I am at peace with myself and my existence. I'm not insulting anyone. I just find it rather silly and out-dated belief-system. Works for some folks and that's fine as long as it does not infringe on my rights. I traveled enough, seen enough, experienced enough to know there is no imaginary friend and that does not make me a bad person as most folks who know me will attest to. Life somewhere else in the Universe?; that's a given. Some folks are genetically predisposed to believe, some just don't understand how life force/energy works or how to manipulate it. It's a mystery but doesn't mean there is a god or gods. Keep on believing if that's what gets you through the day, peacefully, or you are expecting a better life when your's here is done. I just try to make the most of mine, right here, in the here and now. I think Agnostics are taking the easy way out, myself. ;-)

    Now back to the thread topic. :-)

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Re-deployed as of 22 July
    Posts
    0
    Can I just say that glasses and beards do not make people lookalikes.
    That's akin to saying that two people both on crutches or wearing similar clothes are lookalikes.

  17. #42
    Member zravkapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Can I just say that glasses and beards do not make people lookalikes.
    That's akin to saying that two people both on crutches or wearing similar clothes are lookalikes.
    All old fat white guys with beards and glasses look the same.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Re-deployed as of 22 July
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    All old fat white guys with beards and glasses look the same.

    All old fat black guys with beards and glasses look the same
    All old fat asian guys with beards and glasses look the same
    All old fat aboriginal guys with beards and glasses look the same
    All old fat mogoloid guys with beards and glasses look the same
    All old fat semitic guys with beards and glasses look the same

  19. #44
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I really didn't want to expand on this. I just don't find it all that brilliant to totally rule out the possibility that there is something more than this life or this physical universe.
    Why does being an atheist rule out the possibility that "there is something more than this life or this physical universe?" Let's say life on Earth was created or started by some alien beings millions of years ago, we've never seen them and they've not seen us. Why must we worship them as some sort of God? To me, if we were created by some "entity" it makes much more sense that they have no interest or presence in our lives than that they're observing us and caring about us now.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  20. #45
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I guess it would be pointless to have a discussion about the existence of Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns and other imaginary friends? I'm not insulting anyone. I just find it rather silly and out-dated belief-system. Works for some folks and that's fine as long as it does not infringe on my rights.
    You can't be the one to decide if you are insulting anyone. Trust me, I'm plenty insulted by your comments comparing the Easter bunny and the rest to belief in God. You really don't have a healthy respect for believers, and I find that sad. I'm not one to preach or try and convert anyone. I don't quote scripture. I don't even try to change your view at all. If you said you just don't find anything to make you believe, that would be fine with me. I have friends like that. It would pretty much take a major miracle for them to even consider the possibility. But they are fine with my beliefs, so I have total respect for them. What you are doing is borderline bigotry, you should consider the feelings of others when you make such comments.

  21. #46
    Member Yanks2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why does being an atheist rule out the possibility that "there is something more than this life or this physical universe?" Let's say life on Earth was created or started by some alien beings millions of years ago, we've never seen them and they've not seen us. Why must we worship them as some sort of God? To me, if we were created by some "entity" it makes much more sense that they have no interest or presence in our lives than that they're observing us and caring about us now.
    Believing in alien beings is totally different, it has nothing to do with the supernatural, it's still within the physical universe -I'm open to the possiblilty of alien life as well, even if some Christians are not. As to your "if we were created by some entity" comment, I find it funny when people try to make up rules for how God would have to exist. Seems you are setting up what should define a religion. The God I believe in created us out of love, so it makes sence to me he would have interest in our lives. The God you don't beleive in would create life as some sort of whim. I prefer my view.

    Bottom line guys, I just want to be treated with respect, that my views on faith are no less valid than yours. It bugs me reading some of these comments because I know there has to be people in your life, loved ones from family and friends who are believers. And I seriously doubt you show them the same lack of respect. Well I certainly hope not.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why does being an atheist rule out the possibility that "there is something more than this life or this physical universe?"
    For most atheists, we do not rule out that possibility, or the possibility that a god or gods exist for that matter.

    Atheism in general, is the lack of belief in a god or gods. It is not the claim that gods do not exist.

    Atheism is a response to a claim, it is not a claim itself.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Bottom line guys, I just want to be treated with respect, that my views on faith are no less valid than yours. It bugs me reading some of these comments because I know there has to be people in your life, loved ones from family and friends who are believers. And I seriously doubt you show them the same lack of respect. Well I certainly hope not.
    Your views will became valid when they can be supported by demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic. Until then, they are not valid, by definition.

    You are correct, I do have family and friends that are theists of various sorts (Christians, Jews, a Hindu, a couple of deists), and I do love them and respect them. I do not have to respect their beliefs.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  24. #49
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I really didn't want to expand on this. I just don't find it all that brilliant to totally rule out the possibility that there is something more than this life or this physical universe. I'm much more sympathetic to an agnostic, who at least admits they don't really know, or a believer who knows it's a matter of faith.
    If you're really interested, PM me. I can explain atheism in a way that'll make you one too.

  25. #50
    PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Milford NJ
    Posts
    198


    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •