Thread: RESISTOR: "To The Stars" now available

RESISTOR: "To The Stars" now available

One of my favourite lesser-known bands Resistor has their new album out. Steve Unruh is a fantastic multi-instrumentalist who has also released a slew of excellent solo albums. Some of you may have seen them at last years ROSfest...

http://steveunruh.com/order.html

1. To the Stars (11:46)
    2. Random Values (2:58)
    3. I, of the Hurricane (4:33)
    4. Train to Tucana (7:08)
    5. Atlantis' Final Flight (6:07)
    6. Little Lie (5:20)
    7. AnnihilExcavation (8:37)
    8. The Boy With His Brain Out In Space (12:51)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Any Steve Unruh is an auto-buy for me!

I didn't even know this one was in the works, apparently I'm out of the loop.

Edit: Oh, the samples sound nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Cupcakes View Post
    Any Steve Unruh is an auto-buy for me!

I didn't even know this one was in the works, apparently I'm out of the loop.
    Totally agree! I heard one of his albums and within a month or two had the complete collection on my shelves... he's extremely impressive. One of those guys who plays any and every instrument, sings, writes... amazing. Resistor is great too, of course (I think the chorus of "Reincarnation" is one of the best I've ever heard), and Steve also is a part of the Samurai Of Prog and the Musea/Colossus Project releases, appearing on the new one that is about to be released this month: Decameron Part II (I'm a sucker for those sets as well).

He's only finally joined Facebook, pretty late to the game on that one (I recommended he do so a couple of years back) so you're not so much out of the loop as he was! LOL... I get his e-mail updates which is how I knew about this release. The title track was also on last year's Live At ROSfest album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ordered. Steve's one of my favorite modern prog artists.

Thanks for the heads up...
    Another disc to get!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Got this in the mail on Friday (super fast shipping!) and have had the chance to listen to it twice so far - and it's very very good! If you ordered it but haven't received it yet, you're in for quite a treat

^^ Great to hear! I'm looking forward to it indeed.

I had a couple of spins over the weekend and only mildly enthousiastic so far

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I had a couple of spins over the weekend and only mildly enthousiastic so far
    Do you have the other Resistor albums? I'm just curious to know how it compares. I won't have mine for a few days still.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Do you have the other Resistor albums? I'm just curious to know how it compares. I won't have mine for a few days still.
    It sounds more or less the same as the first part of 'Rise'.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It sounds more or less the same as the first part of 'Rise'.
    Ahhh, in that case I think I'll like it! Thanks.

The only song that doesn't hit the mark for me so far is Atlantis' Final Flight. To The Stars (top track), I, Of the Hurricane and the closing track (especially the ending) are all great, IMO.

My initial reaction was that it sounded more in line with Unruh's solo work than what Resistor had put out in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Cupcakes View Post
    My initial reaction was that it sounded more in line with Unruh's solo work than what Resistor had put out in the past.
    Sounds good. I love Unruh's solo stuff. I'm really hoping this arrives this week!

Arrived today! That was very quick. My Glass Hammer disc is still sitting in Miami.

Popping the disc into iTunes to rip it, it gathered no info! It's been a while since I've had to manually enter track names/CD info. Guess it's too new/obscure?

I saw them live Friday night in Providence and they sounded incredible. I talked with Steve and Fran and they are looking for festival's to play and want to do a lot more live shows. They opened with To The Stars and it blew me away with how tight they were.

After three full listens, I can honestly say I love this new album! "Train To Tuscana" is my early favourite... and I do agree that a lot of the album sounds very much like Unruh's solo stuff. Excellence!