Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Frith

Fred Frith

Went to see Fred Frith here in Cleveland. Good, but short (I think the set was something 47 minutes 9 seconds, I posted the exact set time somewhere else) solo guitar performance. He did lots of what you'd expect from Fred Frith, ie looping, using things like effects pedals, ash trays, drumsticks, knitting needles, brushes, a violin bow, an E-bow, etc to get lots of strange sounds from his ES-345. He was also very friendly afterwards, talking and signing autographs and taking pictures with people. Had a good time, and got to see some old friends I haven't seen in ages.

Seen him several times, solo and in duets but most unfortunately - not with a whole band doing his works! Not with Keep the Dog, Cosa Brava or any other of those amazing groups.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Fred is one of the few remaining guitarists on my "bucket list". Not likely he'll come to Atlanta.

Glad you had a good time.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will tick him off my bucket list this summer at RIO
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Buy the DVD "Step Across The Border" if you can't see him live.

Saw him in 1980 or so with singer Phil Minton. Did not care for Phil who mostly made vocal sounds, but Fred was quite remarkable playing prepared electric guitar.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I've seen him twice. Both time he was with a band called Henry Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Fred is one of the few remaining guitarists on my "bucket list". Not likely he'll come to Atlanta.

Glad you had a good time.
    You'll probably have to make it happen yourself, ie book the gig, pay Fred's travel and accomodation expenses, etc. I kinda have the impression that's how most of these shows happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Saw him in 1980 or so with singer Phil Minton. Did not care for Phil who mostly made vocal sounds, but Fred was quite remarkable playing prepared electric guitar.
    That was an interesting tour.
    Saw them at D.C. Space
    I enjoyed Frith much more than Minton.
    Minton's trumpet playing ( noise making ) and feet stomping were a distict counterpoint to Friths guitar experiments.
    They both seemed to be having a good time and the night was pretty unforgettable for reasons beyond the music.

Other than that show I saw him with a post art bears Cutler et al, group in the early '80's and again with John Zorn ( playing bass ) in the 90's .
    I would love to catch him again if he was around DC.
    Usually I find out about these things after the fact...
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    That was an interesting tour.
    Saw them at D.C. Space
    That brings back some memories , Mark ( not that I went to that show). Sad but true, another place that hit the wayside years ago. I'm glad there are still a few intimate places to go but it seems less and less every few years to hear/experience live music the way it should be. :-(

Since Frith has spent a lot of time nearby (in the SF Bay Area) I've caught him performing in several line ups. Some gigs were pretty amazing...unfortunately I failed to make it to the Gravity show a year or two ago. A Massacre show would be very close to the top of a bucket list if had one. The fantastic sound quality and imagination of the players on the Live At Meltdown disc really makes me wish I'd been there.

He played Detroit tonight (3/1). I so badly wanted to attend but had to work. I've never seen him perform live before and missing his show tonight really bummed me out. I've been a fan and have been listening to his various recordings since the 80's. Anyone who attended the Detroit gig, please let us know how it went!

A video of Gravity, performed live at the Moers festival 2014 :

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/moers-fest...mit-fred-frith

^ Been at that show, quite good.
    BTW the videos wont stay forever on that website, just a month or so.

a Frith solo show is an icredible experience

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    A video of Gravity, performed live at the Moers festival 2014 :

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/moers-fest...mit-fred-frith
    Wonderful stuff, thanks for posting, I'm really looking forward to seeing him at RIO.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    I've seen him twice. Both time he was with a band called Henry Cow.
    JJJJEAAALLLOUUSSS

Thanks for posting the show, was listening to some Firth not long ago: Eye to Ear I.

Saw him in 1981 at UofF in Gainesville. I was young, didn't quite know what to make of it, but it was a great experience.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

wow unclemeat thanks for posting that

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Loved that - danka.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Seen him several times, solo and in duets but most unfortunately - not with a whole band doing his works! Not with Keep the Dog, Cosa Brava or any other of those amazing groups.
    Stumbled on that Cosa Brava concert late last night on YouTube. Fantastic group! I'm ordering the CD, Ragged Atlas.

Cosa Brava are outstanding, well worth picking up.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I was young, didn't quite know what to make of it, but it was a great experience.
    If I could, I'd bring my six-year old to one of Frith's improvs. Knowing my kid, I'm absolutely dead convinced that he'd find it flabbergastingly fun and fascinating. Kids are unspoiled, y'know - long before the doops of "form" and "standard" and "rule" and "convention" grabs them and converts them into Portnoys or worse.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM