Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Fred Frith

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    I would place him alongside Frank Zappa & John Zorn.
    Well, he was influenced by both - or rather encouraged, I suppose. He probably influenced Zorn himself through their acquaintance.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, he was influenced by both - or rather encouraged, I suppose. He probably influenced Zorn himself through their acquaintance.
    Agree. And do you know if Zorn was influenced by Zappa? Strangely enough, I've never found such a statement. But then, again, there are few Zorn interviews.

I played Ayaya Moses itself by the Fred Frith Guitar Quartet on my show tonight. Also played side one of Henry Cow's Concerts (which I then segued into a Kiss song!).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I played Ayaya Moses itself by the Fred Frith Guitar Quartet on my show tonight. Also played side one of Henry Cow's Concerts (which I then segued into a Kiss song!).
    That's wrong on so many levels.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's wrong on so many levels.
    I knew that would meet with your approval.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-27-2015 at 01:17 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I knew that would your approval.
    hehe, glad to oblige.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    Agree. And do you know if Zorn was influenced by Zappa? Strangely enough, I've never found such a statement. But then, again, there are few Zorn interviews.
    Only by indirect reference, AFAIK, as on label stickers (Tzadik in partuicular) comparing various works to that general heap of Zappa. I can't say that I detect too much pure musical impression fra Zappa in Zorn's music, rather again I see it as a kind of artistic encouragement if nothing else. Interestingly, Zorn's own influence has been immense on certain quarters of "freebase" contemporary music here in Europe, even though he - precisely opposite to Zappa - appears to shun most exposure that isn't strictly musical or artistic. I suppose the thought of having to explain, or worse, "justify" their artistic stance is something both of them shunned.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you followed with a Blue Oyster Cult song that would have been better... ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    If you followed with a Blue Oyster Cult song that would have been better... ha ha...
    It would have had to have been the right song. As it was, I think Tomorrow from the Unmasked album worked perfectly coming out of the Beautiful As The Moon... suite.

I was listening to Cheap at Half the Price(ESD pressing) and the track "True Love" is a marvel of songwriting on so many levels. This track wasn't on the original release. Mr. Frith never ceases to amaze and his compositions are awe inspiring. I love how he fucks with the beat even though the piece is mostly in 4, his solo is fantastic and I love the screaming/lyrics he utilizes his this tune. CHECK IT OUT!!

I've been spinning "True Love" on repeat mode today. What a great track!! Fuck the naysayers that think experimental music can't be fun and melodic.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    Fuck the naysayers that think experimental music can't be fun and melodic.
    The notion that 'avant/RIO' isn't or somehow can't be "melodic" remains the one token of the naysayers' overall ignorance as regards the very subject at hand. Frith was very much 'RIO' when he made Gravity, yet that's arguably one of the most profound expressions of playful melodicism I've ever heard from a progressive artist. "Spring Any Day Now", "Norrgården Nyvla"?

I recently played Step Across The Border(cd).Hadn't spun it in a long time:so many fine tunes there.I don't love 'em all but, man,there are gems to be heard on it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    Fuck the naysayers that think experimental music can't be fun and melodic.
    When is a line of notes a melody?
    Its all happening in the brain, and we must pity those who can only recognize a melody when it consist of major and minor chords and 4/4 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    When is a line of notes a melody?
    When it's performed in a culturally as well as cognitively discernable manner, i.e. as a logical extension to the song-form we know and cherish from before (say, The Beatles, Yes, John Cougar Mellencamp, Bon Jovi etc.). At least it should never break with the complexity parametre of artists sanctioned by the Grand Prog Council, 'cause then it doesn't have melody-as-wanted.

Take this horrible elitist snob quasi-intellectual wannabe-cerebral RIO thing here, for example; I mean, why are those snobby elitists so afraid of good melody?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Take this horrible elitist snob quasi-intellectual wannabe-cerebral RIO thing here, for example;
    Gastly !
    Here is som more that should be forbidden as well:

Just listened Cosa Brava's Ragged Atlas (2010) today for the first time! Wow! How I have missed this? Fantastic album!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Frith is tops. Caught him a few times (in NYC and Philly) in different combos or solo. Some of his recorded work- Henry Cow, Art Bears, FFKT, Naked City, Massacre- and, especially, solo guitar remains near and dear to my heart.

I got to see Cosa Brava live a few years back at the Boston ICA. Killer shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Just listened Cosa Brava's Ragged Atlas (2010) today for the first time! Wow! How I have missed this? Fantastic album!
    LOTS of amazing music out there - most of it still undiscovered. Great album indeed.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm finally going to see Fred live. The Fred Frith Trio is playing Seattle on December 16th, and I have my tix.

Hoping he comes through Chicago sometime. I only saw him once in the early 90's playing bass with Naked City.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Will tick him off my bucket list this summer at RIO
    Too bad Fred Frith isn't playing Firth of Fifth at the Firth of Forth on the fifth... I'd buy a ticket just to have that stub!

I spun a bunch of Morricone today, and now some Frith. I just did Gravity, and all I can say is that I get more and more out of that amazing record every time I play it. There is so much detail contained on those tracks, but it's never cluttered or claustrophobic - there is always a purpose to the overall FF sound-world. I am such a sucker for those intricate unison passages, especially when he is playing violin. I also love how he changes scales/modes in the middle of a run - it's so beautiful when he will just alter one or two notes - switching from lydian to phyrgian to harmonic minor (for instance). The tracks with SMM are amazing, as are the Muffins tracks! I would love to hear stories about those sessions, the circumstances around them, etc etc. I am moving on to:

Speechless
    Middle of the Moment
    Guitar Solos
    Technology of Tears

We'll see what happens after those. Love this guy - I can never get enough of his music.

PS - I played Guitar Solos last week on the hifi and told my teen daughter that all of the music was played by guitar, and she basically didn't believe me at first. I had to show her the cd digipack. Then she did.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Gravity is marvellous album. My latest favourite from Frith is Prints (2002). Some songs on that one are closest that he ever came pop music. Really weird pop music...
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/