Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Fred Frith

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Gravity is marvellous album. My latest favourite from Frith is Prints (2002). Some songs on that one are closest that he ever came pop music. Really weird pop music...
    I need to grab Prints...still don't have that album.

Technology of Tears was a fascinating listen. Apparently these pieces were commissioned and performed by a dance company in 1987.....I'm sure there is more info online regarding that. The music at times sounded like it could have been from Gravity or Speechless - some coherent grooves and of course lots of textures (sampling; Henry Kaiser's synclavier was utilized). The vocals by Tenko (not sure who that is) overstayed their welcome at times during the first long piece, but that's just imo. Zorn plays on this, along with Christian Marclay (turntables), and Jim Staley on trombone. Frith's ability to utilize the synclavier is pretty remarkable and to my ears his direction with this music is equally as fascinating as FZ's mid 80's synclavier work, and some of this music was even more interesting to my ears. There is so much texture, colors, and details on his albums that one could play these albums numerous times and still hear things anew with each subsequent listen. Great album and I am glad it's part of my FF catalog. I bought this on a whim based on Chris Cutler's recommendation at ReR. Anybody dig this one?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Gravity is marvellous album. My latest favourite from Frith is Prints (2002). Some songs on that one are closest that he ever came pop music. Really weird pop music...
    I need to try that one. "Cheap At Half The Price" has some great "pop" tunes, too.
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Technology of Tears was a fascinating listen.

Anybody dig this one?
    I am a digger of The Mighty Frith and have many of his albums and stuff he has played on. I do dig Technology of Tears. Have had ot for a long time, but haven't played it recently.

If you don't have Accidental, Allies, Traffic Continues or the Skeleton Crew albums, check those suckers out. Steveroonius Maximoonius has at least a couple of those suckers available.

OK. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    I need to try that one. "Cheap At Half The Price" has some great "pop" tunes, too.
    Yes Cheap At Half The Price is also really good and I kind of see Prints as a continuation of that album.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Anybody dig this one?
    Technology of Tears is very interesting but quite challenging listen as it is so long album. I need to listen it more. And as you said it is quite impressive how well Frith uses Synclavier as he is not "synthesizer guy" usually.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I am a digger of The Mighty Frith and have many of his albums and stuff he has played on. I do dig Technology of Tears. Have had ot for a long time, but haven't played it recently.

If you don't have Accidental, Allies, Traffic Continues or the Skeleton Crew albums, check those suckers out. Steveroonius Maximoonius has at least a couple of those suckers available.

OK. Bye.
    Accidental is a sonic wonder. I played it last night and it's on again now. If you want to test out your home hifi capabilities, this is great recording to do so. Textures and colors galore - such an exhilarating listen. Some parts of it sounds like my CD player is skipping, although it actually isn't.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

Accidental is a sonic wonder. I played it last night and it's on again now. If you want to test out your home hifi capabilities, this is great recording to do so. Textures and colors galore - such an exhilarating listen. Some parts of it sounds like my CD player is skipping, although it actually isn't.
    Kewl. I hit Technology of Tears yesterday for the first time in a while. Still dig it. Maybe moreso than I recalled. It would be nice if Tenko used a few more syllables than hah and oh, though. And Zorn, who does not have a limited vocabulary, could have used more of his vocabulary on this. Fred's work is for sure the highlight of the album, which makes sense, of course, but it probably would have been awesome without the guests, as well.

OK. Bye.

I spun a bunch of Morricone today, and now some Frith. I just did Gravity, and all I can say is that I get more and more out of that amazing record every time I play it. There is so much detail contained on those tracks, but it's never cluttered or claustrophobic - there is always a purpose to the overall FF sound-world. I am such a sucker for those intricate unison passages, especially when he is playing violin. I also love how he changes scales/modes in the middle of a run - it's so beautiful when he will just alter one or two notes - switching from lydian to phyrgian to harmonic minor (for instance). The tracks with SMM are amazing, as are the Muffins tracks! I would love to hear stories about those sessions, the circumstances around them, etc etc. I am moving on to:

Speechless
    Middle of the Moment
    Guitar Solos
    Technology of Tears

We'll see what happens after those. Love this guy - I can never get enough of his music.

PS - I played Guitar Solos last week on the hifi and told my teen daughter that all of the music was played by guitar, and she basically didn't believe me at first. I had to show her the cd digipack. Then she did.
    Technology of Tears - so yummy
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...