Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promo Video of Emminent Victorians--Nick Magnus (feat Steve Hackett) April 2014

We don't do standard consignment distro in the USA so depends if lasers edge etc decide to order a particular title, all titles though are always available on amazon.com The big distro companies in the USA have lousy terms that means you have to sell for peanuts and hence we only do import apart from the big selling titles in the USA such as Todd, Jack Bruce etc and we then use MVD

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    We don't do standard consignment distro in the USA so depends if lasers edge etc decide to order a particular title, all titles though are always available on amazon.com The big distro companies in the USA have lousy terms that means you have to sell for peanuts and hence we only do import apart from the big selling titles in the USA such as Todd, Jack Bruce etc and we then use MVD
    Understood. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

One way or another, I'll be ordering it.

No problems, Im often asked why we dont do wide scale US distribution and the problem is its a big risk and Cherry Red have been bitten too many times now to be that keen, so we keep it just to certain titles.

I recently received my copy of the new CD, N' Monix (thanks Vicky) and I have listened to it a few times. Bravo to Nick as it is a very entertaining album. Nick's last two CD's have gone a long way in showing how instrumental he was in the sound and style of those early Steve Hackett solo albums. If you like Steve's early albums, run out and get Nick's new CD as you will love it. By the way, Steve offers up some great work on the album as well. I am really happy that Nick has starting making this style of prog album again as he really excels at it. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by Patelena396; 05-11-2014 at 08:37 AM.

My pleasure--glad you are enjoying it, its had great reviews so far!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Got this from Laser's Edge in their recent sale. Gave it a couple of spins in the car and I'm really enjoying it. As soon as I saw the photo of Tony Patterson in the booklet I gathered he was probably the singer from ReGenesis and that he would sound like vintage Peter Gabriel. I was right! He's on two tracks I believe.

The song Headcase has me briefly mystified, then Google came to my rescue to explain what it's about. I won't spoil the fun for those who decide to investigate to find out what's going on in the words to the song.

Glad you are enjoying it--a popular album here at Esoteric Towers. We also have a new album with Tony Patterson and Brendan Eyre in November and thats very good too.

I bought N'Monix about a month ago, and I've really enjoyed listening to it a lot in the car. I don't quite know whether some songs have uncredited lead guitar or if Nick Magnus is a lead synth player or rare genius (e.g. the final track "Entropy"), as the booklet credits don't make a lot of things clear enough for my taste (not really a moan, Vicky - just saying I wish it was clearer who was doing what beyond the guest vocalists and Steve Hackett's guitar on three tracks).

If I was being picky (which, well, I sometimes am), I'd say that I'm a bit distracted by "Memory" sounding a bit like a knock-off of Howard Shore's music from Lord of the Rings (it is beautiful, though). But "Eminent Victorians" and "Broken" are excellent tracks, and I reckon "Kombat Kid" is one of the most endearing and clever mini-epic prog tracks (i.e. short but packed with juicy details) that I've heard this year. I'm a bit surprised this album didn't rate in Prog magazine's awards nominations, but I hope some of their critics use their end of year lists more wisely.

Well I certainly think it should have been there over an album that wasn't even out at that point, lol. but then that would be nitpicking, I'm pretty sure it's synth and not guitar on that track, a lot of Nicks synth playing does sound like guitar. Credits came from nick, I will smack his wrists.

What's the album that was nominated before it was released? Rhymes with..?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the album that was nominated before it was released? Rhymes with..?
    Guess.

rhymes with Guess. I didnt approve of that. No reflection on the album or the fact that Nicks wasnt in there----, more the fact the aformentioned album was in there before release .

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Guess.

rhymes with Guess. I didnt approve of that. No reflection on the album or the fact that Nicks wasnt in there----, more the fact the aformentioned album was in there before release .
    Yeah that blows.