Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serge Fiori (from Harmonium) new album -free streaming for a few days

Que ca fait du bien d'écouter la musique de Serge FIORI !!

Tellement longtemps que j'attendais un nouvel album...

So good to listen serge's Music

So long i was waiting for a new CD

It's going to be pretty tough importing this, here in Continental Europe, at a reasonable price

Hopefully my usual prog vendors will carry it

EDIT
    : OK, nevermind... found on amazon.ca (and given the exchange rate, it should be cool (canadian posts tarifs suck, though)
    Last edited by Trane; 03-24-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Possibly to try and cross over into an audience that needs it's vocals in English to be interested. Here in Quebec, he's not seen as a marginal progger but as a mainstream artist. In the rest of Canada, he's hardly known. I'd think he'd be beyond caring at this point, but it's the only reason I can see for him doing a song in English.
    The song in English "Crampe" au Cerveau" had some english lyrics because it's a parody about our prime minister of canada who mostly speak in english...

I posted that comment in response to another comment before I ever heard the song. Once I heard it I understood why there were English lyrics. As stated by jarmush it's sarcasm, not an attempt to pander in any way.

Finally gave this a few spins and while I'd hoped for maybe a more up-tempo song or two I have to agree with the posts praising this disc. I believe this is currently the top selling CD in Quebec right now.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just got this in the post today. It took only 1 week to arrive here in Korea from Canada. How sweet is that?

I can't praise this CD enough; he really knows how to make excellent music from the heart. I also see that it went gold in Quebec a mere two weeks after its release. Much applause to you, Serge!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Just got this in the post today. It took only 1 week to arrive here in Korea from Canada. How sweet is that?

I can't praise this CD enough; he really knows how to make excellent music from the heart. I also see that it went gold in Quebec a mere two weeks after its release. Much applause to you, Serge!
    Yeah, it got sent from Amazon.ca (fairly cheap >> less than 15.00€ post incl) and I got it in less than a week...

However DHL didn't put it in my mailbox, sop they will call on my GF to deliver it Wednesday

Always a bit afraid that via DHL , UPS or TNT, we have to pay custom taxes, though
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wow almost complete agreement on this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Wow almost complete agreement on this.
    I disagree with this statement.

I'll add to the almost complete agreement--it is one of the better new prog-related albums I've heard in quite some time, IMO.

I'm really enjoying about the first 7 or 8 songs, but feel I need to put something else on at that point. Maybe just a little too mellow for me towards the end. I recently spun it with my headphones on and found it to be a very strong record, lyric-wise. Maybe more straight forward lyrics than in the Harmonium days, but Serge is an older man now and his method of communication is more direct. It's also a more cynical record than previous releases.

And can someone tell me what other languages he sings aside from French and English?

Hindu

I'm really enjoying about the first 7 or 8 songs, but feel I need to put something else on at that point. Maybe just a little too mellow for me towards the end. I recently spun it with my headphones on and found it to be a very strong record, lyric-wise. Maybe more straight forward lyrics than in the Harmonium days, but Serge is an older man now and his method of communication is more direct. It's also a more cynical record than previous releases.
    Yeah, that was my feeling when I first heard it on preview streaming... and confirmed with the first few listens.... It certainly seemůs tio run out of steam at the 2/3 mark...

I should try it on shuffle or program it in the reverse order , just to see it I just tire (saturate) out from Fiori's sound, or that the last few songs are indeed a bit inferior...

I can fully understand anyone feeling that the whole album is a rather mellow affair; most of the "heavy lifting" songs, if you want to call them that, occur early on. However, I think they're all good, or at least they seem **to me** to cohere with the other songs to create a unified whole. The last 2 songs, Si Bien and its continuation into the instrumental Epilogue are in my mind extremely moving & beautiful, particularly the former with its simple but nonetheless poignant lyrics.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Possibly to try and cross over into an audience that needs it's vocals in English to be interested. Here in Quebec, he's not seen as a marginal progger but as a mainstream artist. In the rest of Canada, he's hardly known. I'd think he'd be beyond caring at this point, but it's the only reason I can see for him doing a song in English.
    I'm not sure about that. I knew about Harmonium when I was a teenager in the 70s in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I knew about Harmonium when I was a teenager in the 70s in Ottawa.
    Indeed, I'm not sure Yves realizes that Harmonium had a certain status thoughout the rest of Canada's French-speaking pockets... New Brunswick, Ontario and yes even in Toronto, where there were two French high-schools - over a population of 2.5M, 2 HS may sound like not much, but I wouldn't call Harmonium's impact insignificant. I had Winnipeg buddies that knew of Harmonium...

Apparently, even in Vancouver (where l'Heptade Live was recorded), they weren't tootally unknown

You're both correct, but never on the level as here. It's a moot point as my original post was before I even heard the song. Now I know exactly why he sings in English and it's sarcasm not pandering.

And can someone tell me what other languages he sings aside from French and English?
    You mean the mantra passages we can hear in one or two songs? It's Hinduism or Buddhism