Thread: Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us

Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us

I haven't seen anyone talking about this great new release yet.

After just 2 listenings, this is really growing on me.

Gone are the growl or scream style vocals. Gone are most of the most 'brutal' metal passages (some reviewers are saying it is not a metal album).

But still there is the complexity, the incredible musicianship, great melodies, a lot of mood, emotion, and dynamic changes. There are times I am reminded of PT during some of the vocal passages.

Anyone else have any opinions?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

i enjoy it...it really doesn't differ too much to me since their last EP...i don't know...but it's nice to hear Malone actually sounding like himself again that's for sure.

No death vocals, I might have to pick up this one. It's been the one thing stopping me from getting into their music. I know "Traced in Air" has less of the death thing, so I might give that a shot as well. But the first one, I've heard songs from it and find it unlistenable despite the great playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    No death vocals, I might have to pick up this one. It's been the one thing stopping me from getting into their music. I know "Traced in Air" has less of the death thing, so I might give that a shot as well. But the first one, I've heard songs from it and find it unlistenable despite the great playing.

Even with the growl vocals, 'Traced in Air' is a must.

They are few.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I've listened to it about eight times and it leaves me unimpressed each time.
    I have been a fan since Focus came out, and they just get less interesting on every album since Focus.
    Luckily I saw them on the focus tour, because they aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be.

Good Lord. I bought this based on this thread, and it is awful.

The music is hackneyed, and the lyrics are just plain gibberish. Ugh.

Luckily, I can take it back for credit.

I was starting to love it initially, and do enjoy it more than Traced in Air certainly. But, there is a little bit of a samey element to it, I only gave it 3.5 stars on rym.

I find this release to be a natural progression from traced in air thru to the eps. Great stuff. Really enjoying it! The bass work is quite grand. Some of the lyrics are a bit odd, but the vocals are good. I never had a problem with the minimal growls and vocoder on TIA. I really love that album, and the last ep was great as well. The portal tapes was a total letdown. No wonder it was abandoned. Sounds like Sarah McLaughlin goes techno. Yuch!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Good Lord. I bought this based on this thread, and it is awful.
    The music is hackneyed, and the lyrics are just plain gibberish. Ugh.
    Care to elaborate on what you didn't like about the music? Did you listen to any samples before buying? And are you all that familiar with their work, or of the projects of those involved?