Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Hackett on leaving Genesis...

From Hackett's interviews, he mentioned some reasons for his departure :
    1- he had a strange feeling to explore something else
    2- he want to find if he can do music by himself
    3- need to work with other musicians
    4- had tough times to put his ideas with Genesis

It's not clear even from Hackett's perspective what is the main reason.

HtM, no sweat... this is a fine topic anyway

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Even if Steve had stayed, I don't think it would have lasted for very long. The commercial turn Genesis started taking after he left was not a cynical ploy by the remaining three, but an honest expression of where they wanted to go artistically. Steve had his poppier moments on his solo albums from that same period, but never to the same degree. I suspect he would have come to a creative loggerheads with the others pretty quickly.
    Actually, I think hadf Steve stayed, their next album might have drastically different than what ATTWT came out to be.... But yeah, this would've only delayed the problem a bit and it would've surfaced sooner than later

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I could see where Genesis would have embraced a song like "Everyday" from Spectral Morning... and ended up with a hit..
    I can only begin to imagine what Clocks/Mons or the t/t or even Tigetmoth done by Genesis in W1W's successor...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hold up...when did Steve Hackett leave Genesis??!?

News like this totally ruins my day...

Actually it wasn't Phil that ruined Genesis, but Steve (by not being there anylmore)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I understand Steve leaving. He tried to get "Please Don't Touch" worked on by the band and they said no, but they said yes to "Wot Gorilla?" I think he felt like it was always 3 against 1.

Not to mention that awful YOSW lasting twice the length it really needed to be, thus taking another possible spot for a track
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In the booklet with the GTR King Biscuit CD there was some quote from Hackett about why he left GTR; I can't recall the exact wording right now, but it left me with the sense that he felt a bit constrainted in a group.

My own take has been that, in the end, Hackett is and has been most in his element when he is working on his own. He collaborates, and does so often to varying degrees...but I can't see him being completely fulfilled in a group setting as his primary creative outlet.

I'm a fan of both his post-Genesis work and their post-Hackett work...so in the end it's all good. The more music to enjoy the merrier. YMMV.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

As far back as Pete Best, Tony Kaye and Steve. The more you read, the more you hear, the moe questions you have. I wonder if anyone really knows the real reasons for these departures. Personal, musical? Like telling a story, it starts one way and after a few dozen people, it's something else.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, I think hadf Steve stayed, their next album might have drastically different than what ATTWT came out to be.... But yeah, this would've only delayed the problem a bit and it would've surfaced sooner than later
    There is an awkwardness to ATTWT that shows how much influence Steve must have had on the creative process, even if he was mostly helping to shape others' ideas and not getting his own songs included. I do like the album, but it seems tentative.

However, the ship clearly righted itself on Duke, and it's more difficult to imagine Steve fitting in there. Playing devil's advocate to myself, I suppose you can argue that Duke was their creative adaptation to being a three-piece--they might have produced something quite different had Steve stayed in the band. It is fun to speculate about that.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    However, the ship clearly righted itself on Duke, and it's more difficult to imagine Steve fitting in there. Playing devil's advocate to myself, I suppose you can argue that Duke was their creative adaptation to being a three-piece--they might have produced something quite different had Steve stayed in the band. It is fun to speculate about that.
    Yep. IMO the only way Hackett could have remained in Genesis post 1977 is if he had essentially accepted the role of sideman with the occasional bone thrown his way as a writer. The other three were growing and evolving as writers -- Phil especially -- and if there wasn't enough space for Steve's music before there was going to be even less by the time Abacab rolled around. So I could imagine him lasting a couple more albums (which would have made those two dramatically better IMO), but I can't possibly imagine him sticking around much longer than that, no matter how good the money was.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Steve brought a certain quiet subtlety to the band that they lost after he left. The songs became bolder and more about "primary colors." From the various interviews in the reissue series, it doesn't sound like the others were interested in working so hard to keep the subtleties there anymore. They all had young families and other interests and weren't so obsessed about making every bar of music be something amazing.

Now I just wish Steve and Tony would work together, get Nad or someone else great to sing, (but do a lot of instrumentals). I bet they could do some great stuff, and get some sales mileage out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Now I just wish Steve and Tony would work together, get Nad or someone else great to sing, (but do a lot of instrumentals). I bet they could do some great stuff, and get some sales mileage out of it too.
    Kickstarter campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    No Nad please. A real singer please.