Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Pronunciaition

Recently while watching various US dramas, I discovered something I was hitherto unaware of, in that I noticed several times that Americans pronounce the word vase as vaice. Presumably to follow logic and match with the pronunciation of words like case and base.

Whereas on this side of the pond we don't follow that logic at all. We say, "vahz" .... isn't that odd?

I wonder why we pronounce it like that, vahz.

EDIT oops...of all the places to have fat fingers, in the thread title...aaaagghhhh

Shed-ule. That always hits my ear oddly. And of course, the infamous "toe-mah-toe". Another Brit pronunciation I get a kick out of is the heavy stress on the back half of condom, like "con-dahm". And of course the odd superfluous extra syllable in aluminium.

I think the difference between vase and "vahz" is in value. I'm not suggesting it's an English rule, but that's the way collectors refer to them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And of course the odd superfluous extra syllable in aluminium.
    Actually, that's acceptable. Both spellings are considered correct.
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-25-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, that's acceptable. Both spelling are considered correct.
    Yes, I know, I'm just saying from an American perspective it sounds odd. And it's true that no one, anywhere, ever speaks of a Ming Dynasty Vase with the long "a"...

Yes, I know, I'm just saying from an American perspective it sounds odd.
    Indeed. I had a science teacher who pronounced it that way.

I love how, when I was growing up, the planet was always pronounced like "your anus," but now I always hear it pronounced "you're a nus" by any scientist I see on TV.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

OY, Watch it!

I pronounce schedule like this, "timetable"

nuculer
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Strategery
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Looking at the thread title, maybe we should have one about spelling, too.

Then again...

either: strong e or strong i
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think the difference between vase and "vahz" is in value. I'm not suggesting it's an English rule, but that's the way collectors refer to them.
    That's half of it. the other part is a 'vahz' is bigger and more elaborately designed than a 'vase': http://reggiedarling.blogspot.com/20...vase-vahz.html

the accents on different syllables in different countries is confusing to me. e.g., in North America we say 'REN-uh-zontz' while in England I think they say 'ren-AY-zontz'

also, in the Louisville area and throughout Indiana, most people say 'ha' (like 'Holland' w/o the 'lland' - meaning 'hi') as a greeting. Growing up in south Jersey, I learned to say 'hi', so that kinda stands out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    either: strong e or strong i
    It depends on your upbringing dear boy.

Looking at the thread title, maybe we should have one about spelling, too.

Then again...
    nuffin rong wif my spelin. Aluminium, Through, Night, Behaviour, Colour, Neighbour etc

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the accents on different syllables in different countries is confusing to me. e.g., in North America we say 'REN-uh-zontz' while in England I think they say 'ren-AY-zontz'
    That's because the correct way to say the French ai in renaissance is AY not UH, and the stress is on the 2nd last syllable not the first. First time I heard that term "Ren-uh-cents fair", I thought "a what fair?"

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    nuculer
    Dubya was always fighting a war against tourists and tourism but I never understood why

It seems to follow the pattern of many other elements in the periodic table that end in "ium".
    <sig out of order>

So, how does the English band, Renaissance pronounce their name? On Live at Carnegie Hall, they are introduced with the accent on the first syllable. One might think that if that weren't correct, the band would tell him how to say it.

Oh lerd, talking about regional pronunciation mangling- I live about 10 minutes away from a town called Lafayette. They call it "Luh-FAY-ut". i didn't even know what they were talking about when I first came down here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    That's because the correct way to say the French ai in renaissance is AY not UH, and the stress is on the 2nd last syllable not the first. First time I heard that term "Ren-uh-cents fair", I thought "a what fair?"
    But lots of French words have their own English-centric pronunciation, no?

I don't find a lot of people insisting on calling me "Gee" (Guy)...not that I mind.
    <sig out of order>

Oh lerd, talking about regional pronunciation mangling- I live about 10 minutes away from a town called Lafayette. They call it "Luh-FAY-ut". i didn't even know what they were talking about when I first came down here.
    I lived on a Lafayette Street in New Jersey many years ago. Everyone in the neighborhood said "Lahf-ee-ETT". Accent on the last syllable.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I lived on a Lafayette Street in New Jersey many years ago. Everyone in the neighborhood said "Lahf-ee-ETT". Accent on the last syllable.
    Because that's the correct way to say it.