Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people continue to submit new reviews of 40-year old albums?

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I became a prog fan in the 70's and lived through that era. However, I have zero interest in reading another, or any, review of a classic album. I am, however, VERY interested in reviews of current albums.
    Hey, I am too.

Originally Posted by Facelift: Because people like playing reviewer.

Yeah I buy that. I did. I played reviewer for a while at first (not on PE). It was a lot of fun. But it seemed like it became a competition to see who can write the most clever reviews and be "funny" and "smart." I realized early on that writing reviews was mainly for my own amusement. I soon lost patience to do these long, track-by-track reviews and tried to avoid cliches. To me, the best way to get an idea about a band/album/concert DVD, etc. is just to read the comments on the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Because people like playing reviewer.

And because people know that review #501 (or #5501) of Close to the Edge still probably has a better chance of being read by somebody than review #3 of something current but obscure.
    In a way, you're right... people love to get their 0.02€ in, and that's most likely my psychological case.

But in my personal case, a lot of my reviewing vame in the early days of the ProgArchives (early 2004 >> yes 10 years ago) and its little sistezr site) Jazz Muxic Archives , because the site was mainly empty of reviews ... So I wrote (often poormy) as many stuff as possible in the first few months so this site would at least have something in the review dept (thankfully there were dozens other helping out), and I later corrected them as time went on

But a big part of my involvement in/of the site were in the addition of band dept of the site - and to a lesser extent the famous genre definition BS that caused so many internal diagreements and fights (>> Eclectic Prog?? WTF?? ) ... reviewing was my visible contribution, but the invisible part is likely an iceberg's below the water proportion.

==============

As for the second part of your statement, it doesn't necessarily work that way: JMA lists above the new reviews... so if yours was the first one of the 532 reviews, most likely, it'sll be the last one... Not sure I like that either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If we are going to question the idea of new reviews for old albums we also have to question a thread begun in February of 2014 about Hackett leaving Genesis.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    If we are going to question the idea of new reviews for old albums we also have to question a thread begun in February of 2014 about Hackett leaving Genesis.
    HACKETT LEFT GENESIS??????

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Good point.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't know. Why do most prog fans focus on mainly newer albums also? I'd say unless those 40 year old albums are by lesser known obscure bands I see nothing wrong it. The problem as I see it is getting sidetracked by what's in front of you instead of digging a little deeper. Forget the here today gone tomorrow albums dig deep and discover the more obscure nuggets of not just the seventies but also 80's, 90's and 00's(over one year old)that have proven the test of time. Progarchives is caught up in the flavor of the week but I see it on here too. As for the obvious bands well they are there and they aren't going anywhere. LOL.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Hey, I am too.
    Really? So you guys have no interest in reading a review about some obscure Italian prog album(or whatever country)from 1973 that you never heard of before? Great music is great music and it shouldn't matter too much when it came out. The only thing that really matters imo is that you are deciding for yourself that it's interesting and not letting the bandwagon persuade you or tempt you to buy the latest album by band x just because everyone else is foaming at the mouth about it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Really? So you guys have no interest in reading a review about some obscure Italian prog album(or whatever country)from 1973 that you never heard of before? Great music is great music and it shouldn't matter too much when it came out. The only thing that really matters imo is that you are deciding for yourself that it's interesting and not letting the bandwagon persuade you or tempt you to buy the latest album by band x just because everyone else is foaming at the mouth about it.
    I think you misunderstood - me, at least. I'm interested in reading reviews things that I haven't heard.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Because most new music sucks? ;-) LOL

!!!!!!! that did come to mind. Was funny to see it posted while it was still echoing around in the box...
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

I've experienced this with my daughter, to her Beethoven, Lennon and Brubeck are all exactly the same, just a bunch of Dead White Guys. If somebody born in the 1980s discovers "Foxtrot" for the first time, why SHOULDN'T he write a review of it? To him it's new. To him it's on a level playing field with Justin Bieber or One Direction or whatever playlist is on his phone. It's all just one big sea of songs out there, waiting to be downloaded.

My oldest daughter is 21, and she loves Old Prog. Gentle Giant is one of her Favorites... She's always going through the old Genesis CD's I have and has recently dicovered Focus through a copy of Hamburger Concerto, she finally got around to listning to.... Birth was her favorite from that Abum.... Addly enough mine too many many years before.

She calls me sometimes on her way to work to exclaim how cool some song is that she's never heard before and just gotten hooked on. "One for the Vine" about 4.5 minutes in was one I remember recently that caught her ear. Whole song is great but the instrumental section is Brilliant...!

So yeah, there's a whole new generation listening to this stuff. Young peole get a little taste of this music and then if they have any ear at all they find a massive library of this (lost to their generation) and I think in some cases they almost have to keep it on the down low that they listen to old prog.... But everyone likes to be different so old prog has this odd very young underground crowd that is beginning.... You'll catch youtube video's of young musicians testing their skills through covers of some of my generations best stuff....

I hope this continues... This music is fantastic stuff... It did not deserve to get buried quite as deeply as the popular trends buried it... My god "Disco" has more life than old prog... and that is just wrong.

So I say review the old stuff.... someone under 20 might take a look at it and find they like it.
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 02-27-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

What she doesn't like YES?

Did you know Phil Collins used to be in a band? Did you know he used to have hair?

Personally, I would replace Phil Collins with Peter Gabriel. I think most younger people know about the Phil Collins led Genesis.

Personally, I would replace Peter Gabriel with Phil Collins.
    I think he already did that for you.

What she doesn't like YES?
    And King Crimson, and Some of the really vintage bands like Atomic Rooster. I slipped Illusions on a Double Dimple in her pile the other day, she'll find it... she's hungry to listen to it all.. The YES catalog she's been through.... knows it been there done that... We started on YES after they both attended one of the last "real" YES concerts back in 2004....They we're young then... but loved it..! She's having a blast discovering the rest of my CD's... I find it fun to remember the feelings I see her get when she's gets all excited about some song she dicovered. She knows the Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show.... the Entire Lamb Album has been played to her by me for a while now... But it's the less listened to stuff, that I have passed over while learing the pieces I have focused on that she is having the most fun with... She does not get Frank Zappa. I told her its "OK" No One Really Does, they just say they do.

If you have kids.... and your a classic prog fan... there's no more of a proud feeling than to see one of your kids catch on to this great music... And she's becoming quite a good guitarist as well. Wanted to start with Steve Howe's stuff... but then don't we all...! If she continues I'll have to send her on to work with some musicians who can teach her far better.

And to "rcarlberg" I did the right thing with Phil.... I let her know his name as the drummer for Genesis long before she found out Peter Gabriel left and Phil took over singing... She finds The Dutchess sad.... she fels its a Genesis song saying goodby to its PROG roots... and embracing the more popular material to stay relevant and make money. She is pissed that they can't manage to get a concert together.... all of them.... and do a great show... so she can see them all.... I'm with her on this one... Our musical idols are going to begin dropping off in not to long.... Its just the way it is... Time to bury the hatchets....

I digress
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 02-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think he already did that for you.

Nice job of rearranging my sentence there. Oh well you made it work. Good for you.

To Classic Progressive: When are you going to introduce her(or are you)to the newer prog stuff like Glass Hammer, Echolyn, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree etc?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Its so very simple... its because mine is the definitive opinion on the subject

duh...

because the monkey said so.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

To Classic Progressive: When are you going to introduce her(or are you)to the newer prog stuff like Glass Hammer, Echolyn, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree etc?
    She's finding her own material now. She has found Porcupine Tree on her own and I have a Spocks beard CD or two around here somewhere, she may have listened to them by now. She's usually mentions the new stuff she loves to hear. She's still in love with the old prog and if you think I have any interest in taking the discovery of this great music away by racing to get her to the newer material, you'd be sadly mistaken. Its so rare to have found prog by a young person in this way and to go through it from the early to the late material is the way to go. Her take on some of the newer material is it not as much fun as the old stuff. ! I got her into the old material I think its just because both my daughters listened to it a lot when they were young, but my youngest could care less....she's a lady gaga fan.... and hey, that's OK. My oldest is into this material on her own. She has some Indie bands she listens to, but she gets excited about the old prog. BTW where she works there is a Hamburger Restaurant Chain called "5 Guy's" their coorporate office has them playing only great classic rock material... Lots of Yes, Sting, Gabriel and the like. She eats there a lot because of the music.

I remember the first time listening to The Lamb so many years ago..... I love seeing the look on her face when she tells me how cool some song is she's discovered... like... Harem Scarem... or Breakthrough... She is hooked on the classic Hammond-Leslie sound.

I hope she has this music appreciation all her life.

I admire and pretty much agree with the sentiment of Progatron. We smaller, newer and-perhaps the biggest detriment-American bands really need exposure and a 501st review for Genesis certainly seems like wasted effort but to each his/her own. 3RDegree tells our fan base often to go and weigh in at Progarchives because-say what you will-it is the only site with a rating system and ability for reviews to be written in the Prog genre that contribute to a final score where people can sift through what is out there. We have stayed in the Best Albums of 2012 between #8 and #15 (roughly) since late '12 and have more reviews than some bands we view-at least-as "better known" than us. It adds a bit of gravitas to a release to see 100+ ratings and a good amount of written reviews.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I know that, and I'm hoping I was clear. New people CAN discover it - easily. My only real point is that if there are 500 reviews, can a 501st really offer anything new? I just don't understand why people go to all the trouble of writing what has most assuredly already been written for all to see.
    because they want to submit their opinions on it.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    because they want to submit their opinions on it.
    That sums it up. Joe Average who wants to write a review of a well known prog album is writing for his own pleasure and probably doesn't care whether his review influences anyone. Years ago, before I ever knew anything about PE I was a member of a site called Epinions.com. I went nuts writing reviews. It was a lot of fun. Once in a while I'd get some follow up comments and that made it even more enjoyable. Eventually it just got boring. I'd had all the fun I wanted to have writing album reviews.