Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic w/ Jon Anderson performing "Revealing Science Of God"

Transatlantic w/ Jon Anderson performing "Revealing Science Of God"

From the Prog Nation cruise... just a brief clip but apparently the whole show was filmed with multiple cameras, so perhaps it will be a DVD before long. Hoping more footage emerges in the meantime!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sounded great, especially Jon's vox.

Nobody expected that one !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Nobody expected that one !!!
    No, and in fact Portnoy mentioned a day or two before (without naming the song) that it was one of the most technically challenging pieces he's ever had to learn to play. I'm curious to hear how Neal handled the moog solo.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here's another clip:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152257049730135

..and here's the setlist from that night:

Whirlwind Medley:

Overture (Abridged)
    Rose Colored Glasses
    Evermore
    Is It Really Happening?
    Dancing With Eternal Glory
    Indiscipline
    (King Crimson cover) (with Adrian Belew)
    We All Need Some Light
    All of the Above
    (Full Moon Rising / October Wind)
    Stranger in Your Soul
    (Awakening The Stranger / … more)

Encore:

The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn)
    (Yes cover) (with Jon Anderson)
    Long Distance Runaround
    And You And I
    Starship Trooper

... they had played on the first night as well, doing the entire Kaleidoscope album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ver cool - thanks.

I hate when people do that "hoo-hoo" sound you keep hearing. Shut up- we get that you're enthused!

Lone dissenter.

JA's doing that thing that Steve Walsh seems to be doing now; going all over the map with the vocal melodies. Sometimes I don't even think he's on key because he's not even close sometimes, and the song sounds weird to me. It's a shame because the TA guys have the song pretty much nailed (if anyone can sound like Howe, it's Roine Stolt) from what I can see. But JA's off-model vocalizing makes the samples hard to listen to. Kind of sad.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Lone dissenter.

JA's doing that thing that Steve Walsh seems to be doing now; going all over the map with the vocal melodies. Sometimes I don't even think he's on key because he's not even close sometimes, and the song sounds weird to me. It's a shame because the TA guys have the song pretty much nailed (if anyone can sound like Howe, it's Roine Stolt) from what I can see. But JA's off-model vocalizing makes the samples hard to listen to. Kind of sad.
    It could be that he needed much more rehearsal time after not playing that piece in quite a while (I saw Yes do it in 2002 and it was spectacular). Perhaps at almost 70 years of age it's a bit much for him.... I did notice the somewhat random melodies, but I still enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    From the Prog Nation cruise... just a brief clip but apparently the whole show was filmed with multiple cameras, so perhaps it will be a DVD before long. Hoping more footage emerges in the meantime!

Bring on the DVD extras!

Transatlantic and Jon Anderson...
    Thanks for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Lone dissenter.

I'm with you. Jon sounded like a singer in a mediocre Yes cover band...too bad.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Im really sorry...but they lost me at smoke on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I'm with you. Jon sounded like a singer in a mediocre Yes cover band...too bad.
    Guys, Jon is close to 70 years old. The fact that he is still out there doing this is a blessing. Cut him some slack that he can't pull off the vocals and such like he did back in the day. Probably the reason why YES is touring with a much younger singer at this point. The performance on the video sounds good and it seems that folks in attendance on the cruise enjoyed it. Later in Frank Sinatra's life, fans knew that he didn't sound quite like the Frank of earlier days, but they didn't care. They celebrated the opportunity to see and thank the guy who had provided them so many years of entertainment. I think Jon is owed the same respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Guys, Jon is close to 70 years old. The fact that he is still out there doing this is a blessing. Cut him some slack that he can't pull off the vocals and such like he did back in the day. Probably the reason why YES is touring with a much younger singer at this point. The performance on the video sounds good and it seems that folks in attendance on the cruise enjoyed it. Later in Frank Sinatra's life, fans knew that he didn't sound quite like the Frank of earlier days, but they didn't care. They celebrated the opportunity to see and thank the guy who had provided them so many years of entertainment. I think Jon is owed the same respect.

Well sAid Sir, some people are unreal! Out of all the 'prog" greats he has aged the best IMO. Went to see Gabriel on his recent SO tour & his voice was flat & sounded like he sang everything in the same key,did it bother me?, not one bit!! Same with Ozzy, his voice was shot even with auto-tunr ,these guys arnt spring chickens but i feel blessed they are still performing!
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-23-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    x2

(WARNING: OLD MAN RANT INCOMING)

I will be posting my full review of PN14 later (overall I was very impressed)

... but my #1 biggest complaint were all these people who couldn't put their FUCKING CELL PHONES and CAMERAS down for THREE FUCKING SECONDS and just enjoy the show. I paid all that money to go on this cruise and see all these amazing prog acts, NOT to stare at the arms of all these fucktards with their stupid cameras held in their air for the whole show, recording shitty YouTube videos that nobody is going to watch anyway.

Here's an idea: have the slightest common courtesy to the people behind you, put your FUCKING camera down, and enjoy the show you're there to see, assholes.

(RANT OVER, COMMENCE THREAD)

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    (WARNING: OLD MAN RANT INCOMING)

I will be posting my full review of PN14 later (overall I was very impressed)

... but my #1 biggest complaint were all these people who couldn't put their FUCKING CELL PHONES and CAMERAS down for THREE FUCKING SECONDS and just enjoy the show. I paid all that money to go on this cruise and see all these amazing prog acts, NOT to stare at the arms of all these fucktards with their stupid cameras held in their air for the whole show, recording shitty YouTube videos that nobody is going to watch anyway.

Here's an idea: have the slightest common courtesy to the people behind you, put your FUCKING camera down, and enjoy the show you're there to see, assholes.

(RANT OVER, COMMENCE THREAD)
    Jon should've done a Jeff Tate & ripped some fuckers head off!!!

Sure would have beaten the week I had at work last week. ;-)

As far as the legion of idiots with the phones, you should have just grabbed a phone at a time, threw it overboard and the owner would follow. You would have gotten rid of half the participants and the rest of you would have had a much better time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    As far as the legion of idiots with the phones, you should have just grabbed a phone at a time, threw it overboard and the owner would follow.
    Oh, I considered it.

The solution that worked for me was to watch the shows from the upper deck.

chalkpie

Yikes....somebody grab the autotune...quick!

No, and in fact Portnoy mentioned a day or two before (without naming the song) that it was one of the most technically challenging pieces he's ever had to learn to play. I'm curious to hear how Neal handled the moog solo.
    What do you mean without naming the song. Don't we already know he was referring to the revealing science of god or have we got mixed up here somehow and you are referring to something else?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    What do you mean without naming the song. Don't we already know he was referring to the revealing science of god or have we got mixed up here somehow and you are referring to something else?
    I meant that Portnoy didn't name the song beforehand so as not to spoil for anyone. He just said he was learning a very challenging Yes piece for the cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think he meant that Portnoy said he was playing one of the most challenging pieces ever, but didn't name the song at the time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

One of the things that stands out in this brief clip is that the drummer is really overplaying. Sounds almost like he's doing a metal tune. I always feel that part of musicianship is underplaying classic material. He's overplaying right out of the gate.

The keyboards are a bit disappointing. Those are the best Wakeman-like "samples" he can come up with?

Jon kind of starts out in space but eventually touches down just fine. Frankly, whatever problems this "interpretation" faces in this brief clip I think he is last on the list. I think they were going for an intro that was a bit different, is all. His voice sounds clear and full of life to me.

I meant that Portnoy didn't name the song beforehand so as not to spoil for anyone. He just said he was learning a very challenging Yes piece for the cruise.
    Oh ok.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)