Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VRIL "Effigies in Cork"

Just ordered VRIL Effigies in Cork with some other BD Gems. Can't wait this sounds amazing, Bob Drake you rule!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Just ordered VRIL Effigies in Cork with some other BD Gems. Can't wait this sounds amazing, Bob Drake you rule!
    Yeah man, you're gonna dig this sucker.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Frank: about making video of the recording sessions: No it would be a hassle and distraction trying to think about that.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Rats. Even a 30-minute nugget would suffice. It would be fascinating to see your studio and just a wee glimpse into the details of your music for us "Bob Heads".
    Last edited by chalkpie; 02-27-2014 at 09:57 PM.

chalkpie
    I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. I have my own opinion of course, but will refrain from commenting so as to not color your judgement.

BD
    Well, it's gotten 5 or 6 (almost) complete spins, but "The Thing" only has gotten 2. I'll spin that one again, it's just that I prefer that with headphones and this disc has been in my car all week. I also grabbed "Little Black Train" but '13 Songs' hasn't left the player! Some tunes have gotten played many more times, like "Rtuff", maybe one of my favorite BD pieces ever. Totally brilliant. I'll probably start a different thread so it can be properly archived here.

chalkpie
    PS -also spun Stockhausen "Kontakte" tonight. I play so much weird music, the kids didn't even notice it, and I had it cranked up. That is also seriously beyond incredible.

I have never heard any Stockhousen, its time to change that
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Rats. It would be fascinating to see your studio.
    Here are a few photos I took in August 2012 when I was recording "Agents of Decay", with some description of what I was doing: http://bdblog.bdrak.com/june-july-august/
    The song is here: https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/agents-of-decay
    I used the "poor man's Leslie" on the Solina organ during the verses.

and just a wee glimpse into the details of your music for us "Bob Heads".
    The final result is all that matters, the rest is just me having too much fun and working dawn till dusk

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    THANK YOU Lieto! I hope you enjoy them!
    BD
    www.bdrak.com

PS -also spun Stockhausen "Kontakte" tonight. I play so much weird music, the kids didn't even notice it, and I had it cranked up. That is also seriously beyond incredible.
    Landmark work. I've got the original Deutsche Grammophon vinyl release where this features with "Gesang der Jünglinge" (also spectacularly great!), and it's definitely on of the most cherished modern classical gems in my collection.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

THANK YOU Lieto! I hope you enjoy them!
    BD
    www.bdrak.com
    My pleasure Bob! You make some amazing music! My favorite so far is Skull Mailbox and Other Horrors. You also have one of my favorite voices in music too!
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    "The Fatal Duckpond"

Just got this too. One spin through, very enjoyable a la Effigies although I'm sure future listens will further reveal this album. Overall it has the same carefree, grooving fun nature about it. Of course, stellar playing.