Thread: David Geffen PBS special

David Geffen PBS special

So I caught about 95% of this over the weekend on PBS. Its part of the American Masters biography/documentary series, and IMHO is extremely fascinating on many different levels. First and foremost it delves extensively into the period from the late 60's to mid/late 80's and his involvement with everyone from Joni Mitchell to CSN to Jakson Browne to The Eagles, Neil Young, Laura Nyro, The Band, Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Guns n Roses, and on and on. There are incredible rare photos and videos, and extremely candid interviews. Second it is a brutually honest portrayal of a clever and ruthless(at times) genius who has influenced pop culture as much as any human in the last 50yrs. Who else has had his hands in the mix with so many no. 1 records, movies, and plays. The interviews and stories from Neil Young, David Crosby, Glenn Frey, and Jackson Browne make this worthwhile alone. i never imagined one man has made such an influence-rather you think its mostly good or not.

Sorry I missed it. Hopefully they'll repeat it at some point.

I saw it and found it to be a quite interesting look behind the curtain of pop music, particularly the late 60s /70s LA scene.
    Recommended......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yeah, this is a good one and definitely recommended if you have even a passing interest in the workings of the entertainment industry. He very well may be the biggest power player in America of the last 50 years. Since it just premiered last week, I'd figure PBS will replay it several times over the next few weeks and then will pop up occasionally. So as they always say, "Check your local listings"

I watched it and was struck by the change in Geffen over the years. At first he was a truly admirable idealist - signing bands even if he knew they had minimal commercial potential - he nurtured their careers - but things really began to change and I would venture that he changed too when the money got serious - by the end of the documentary Geffen had morphed into an obnoxious lovie-darling who is obsessed with his own fame. Reminded me a lot of relentless self-promoter Richard Branson - although he was a money-grubbing user from the very start and never really gave a toss about artists.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    things really began to change
    Couldn't help but notice the absence of Aimee Mann....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I enjoyed it quite a bit too. I thought Asylum was a label I could rely on back in the day. I remember when I walked into a record store and the 1st Jackson Browne album was playing or the 1st Jo Jo Gunne album was playing and bought them immediately. There's several stories in the documentary which shed light on Geffen and his career. I particularly enjoy the segment on Joni Mitchell and finding out that Free Man in Paris is a song she wrote about Geffen. I'd like to watch the doc again.