Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Genius Of XTC

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I know most people here think Wikipedia is full of shit, but they say that English Settlement arguably XTC's defining moment; a significant milestone of the band's abilities as musicians and songwriters. I didn't quote this, because I might have gotten some of the words wrong.
    I do think that they were really starting to find themselves on that album, but they felt it wasn't completed. I don't remember the story, but I think they had planned on doing overdubs and further things to it production-wise that never came to pass and they felt that the end result was a bit stark. I dig a lot of stuff on that album, but I don't personally consider it to be their defining moment. For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.
    For him and at least one other person, that would be true.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

their defining momemnt to me was "skylarking" since it melded the best of the new wavey xtc with the later period beatlesque xtc. for me skylarking was their most best loved release but my fave will always be drums and wires and black sea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    their defining momemnt to me was "skylarking" since it melded the best of the new wavey xtc with the later period beatlesque xtc. for me skylarking was their most best loved release but my fave will always be drums and wires and black sea.
    I don't don't get that last part. You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites. Sounds like a contradiction. Oh, you mean that Skylarking was there most popular? I'll bet money that Todd Rungren had a lot to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For me, that would be Oranges and Lemons.
    Yes!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I don't don't get that last part. You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites. Sounds like a contradiction. Oh, you mean that Skylarking was there most popular? I'll bet money that Todd Rungren had a lot to do with that.
    yeah it had their biggest hit and sold well.

Funny I work at Chase Bank by day, and on our Chase Muzak system, 2 regulars are 'Making Plans For Nigel' and 'Generals and Majors' (as well as a ton of other great music). I'll say something like, 'We're the only bank to give you XTC', which is generally rewarded with blank looks.

I can't pick a favorite XTC album personally. Like them all. Some favorite songs: 'Easter Theatre', 'King For A Day', 'Bungalow', 'Rook', 'Mermaid Smiled', 'Blame The Weather', and 'Good Things', among others.

^^^^^

Without "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" there would be no "King For A Day", so many thanks Tears For Fears, since your already killer song was made even better by XTC imo with "King".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

You said that Skylarking was their most beloved release, but Drums And Wires and Black Sea are your favorites.
    beloved by fans critics etal of which i was not one that agreed to that title well amongst the sites and mags i've read over the years..

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    beloved by fans critics etal of which i was not one that agreed to that title well amongst the sites and mags i've read over the years..
    Wow

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    Many fans on here of White Music? Saw that at Second Spin, and that just might be my next XTC purchase.

I'm a fan of the first two.. Barry A is great.

Don't like Go2 much but I think White Music is seriously underrated, it's such an energetic, goofy rock album. I love their take on "Watchtower"!

I got The Big Express recently, Great album! Lots of great tunes (I Remember The Sun, Train Running Low on Soul Coal, All You Pretty Girls, and You're The Wish You Are I Had being stellar standouts). I just love this band, I know have everything from English Settlement onward (except Wasp Star), and Fossil Fuel. They are true genius. Some of the most invigorating songwriting I've ever heard. I could go on, but...
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    You really cannot go that wrong with anything by them, but you have picked up three classics already. Personally I love Nonsuch and Apple Venus (1) the most, and play the earlier run of albums less so, but that's just my taste. The singles collection Fossil Fuel Is a good way to get all of the hits and B-sides in one easy place too, so if going cheap in your sure, pick up a copy.

If you like your 60's sounds, be sure to check out The Dukes Of Stratosphere, which is XTC under an assumed name, and in pastiche mode, but rather brilliant it is too.
    You might want to check out AP's Fuzzy Warbles series also (I've got the box), which are demos that are incredibly well-constructed and, in many cases, near-perfect already. Some very silly stuff, some very heavy stuff.

For me, XTC begins with English Settlement and goes up from there; first two records a little too new wavey for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Funny I work at Chase Bank by day, and on our Chase Muzak system, 2 regulars are 'Making Plans For Nigel' and 'Generals and Majors' (as well as a ton of other great music). I'll say something like, 'We're the only bank to give you XTC', which is generally rewarded with blank looks.

I can't pick a favorite XTC album personally. Like them all. Some favorite songs: 'Easter Theatre', 'King For A Day', 'Bungalow', 'Rook', 'Mermaid Smiled', 'Blame The Weather', and 'Good Things', among others.
    I know the look, Bill! "King For A Day" imo is the father of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears FF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I know the look, Bill! "King For A Day" imo is the father of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears FF
    Wouldn't it be the other way around, since the Tears For Fears song came first?

Wouldn't it be the other way around, since the Tears For Fears song came first?
    You have just witnessed a textbook example of the correlation between old people and short term memory loss.

See post #83.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I got The Big Express recently, Great album! Lots of great tunes (I Remember The Sun, Train Running Low on Soul Coal, All You Pretty Girls, and You're The Wish You Are I Had being stellar standouts.
    "The Big Express" is a way, way underrated album. Sure, it's kind of loud and big-sounding, but the songs are all excellent and very catchy. I'll also put in votes for "I Bought Myself a Liarbird" and "Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her." The CD has three extra songs, two of which are dandy ("Red Brick Dream" and "Washaway," the latter of which should have been on the album proper). All in all, it's my second favorite album after "Skylarking".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You have just witnessed a textbook example of the correlation between old people and short term memory loss.

See post #83.
    Don't worry, Geezer. Happens to me a lot, too, and I'm not that old.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love the song Dear God but I recall it wasn't that popular on PE a few years back. I love both the message and the music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)