Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tears for Fears New Album?

Banned

That link didn't work on my iPad, so I went to their site. This is the third cover they've recorded since going back into the studio to work together. They said a new album of material is being written for this year! That indeed is GREAT news!!

You need Gruno to check in here - the resident Tears for Fears insider.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    That link didn't work on my iPad, so I went to their site. This is the third cover they've recorded since going back into the studio to work together. They said a new album of material is being written for this year! That indeed is GREAT news!!
    That's funny it was generated with my iphone 5 and it goes there still via Safari. You aren't missing much and yes it would be cool if Gruno weighs in.

There isn't much to report. Being 'in the studio' is a bit misleading. Roland was in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago. Nothing much from that. They are intent on releasing something one day, they just don't know when. They finally have new management involved. They have been without a manager since 2005. Some back story: around 2002, Roland bought a house in the Hollywood Hills. He and his family moved in and remained while TFF recorded their reunion album. After a year of promotions and tours of the US, Europe and a festival show in France, and one more run up and down the US West Coast, Roland moved back to England; his sons missed their friends. They figured TFF was done touring/recording in any extensive way, so they released their management company. Since 2005, TFF has done small tours/jaunts: 2006/2007 Night of the Proms; US West Coast jaunts 2007/2009/2011; US East Coast 2010; Australia/Asia 2010; Mexico/S. America 2011; Korea/Japan/Philippines 2012. All of those were done without management. All of this was also done without having a functioning website or web presence, except for Curt's solo website & social media.

This new management team seems ok. Roland once told me that TFF always seems to have missed the boat on promotion. [I should dig out that interview and post it. It is great] They have sort of withered away their anniversary of The Hurting, but I suppose they could still capitalize on it somehow. Their managers have discussed their intentions & goals with me, but I have yet to see things happen. For example, their site was supposed to go live in June.

I am a bit 50/50 on the prospect of a new TFF album. I rank Roland's Tomcats Screaming Outside in my top 10 all-time discs -- spinning it as I type. I would love for Roland to do another solo album. Curt's solo material is very weak, imo. He tends to be melancholy and dreary with his solo music. Very few, if any, toe-tapping songs. When Everybody Loves A Happy Ending came out in 2004, I loved it. Over time, I felt the songs that featured Curt were the weaker of the lot.

I would love something in this vein:

Agree on Tomcats. A couple of amazing songs there. Btw, am I one of the few who are not that into the Beatles influnced TTF tracks? Tomcats is a good example of the more experimental parts of Rolands writing. I'm more into that.

everything with Roland in charge was great: Elemental, Raoul, Tomcats. Happy Ending had nothing in there wondering what the next one will have instore. But with another collaborative effort... I'm sceptical.

ELAHE is my fave album of the past decade. Just fantastic songwriting.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    everything with Roland in charge was great: Elemental, Raoul, Tomcats. Happy Ending had nothing in there wondering what the next one will have instore. But with another collaborative effort... I'm sceptical.
    I too prefer a Curt-less TFF. Seems to me that his role was diminishing on Seeds, and then was gone completely for the next two albums. Those are by far my favorite of their catalog- songs like Brian Wilson Said or the achingly beautiful Los Reyes Catolicos really show a maturing in Rolands songwriting that I'm not sure would have occurred without Curt gone. The improved basswork on these albums is also a plus. I burned out out on that Beatles thing they do, so the latest album is not my cuppa, but I really like the Animal Collective cover. Would love to hear more like it.
    Last edited by proggrinch; 02-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Agree on Tomcats. A couple of amazing songs there. Btw, am I one of the few who are not that into the Beatles influnced TTF tracks? Tomcats is a good example of the more experimental parts of Rolands writing. I'm more into that.
    I don't get the Beatles connection except that Seeds celebrates the most creative and original period in popular music, and that includes Sgt Peppers. Seeds came out around the 20th anniversary of that late 60s vibe and includes the great Oletta Adams on piano and vocals. One of the best live performances of the band was videoed at Knebworth:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Over time, I felt the songs that featured Curt were the weaker of the lot.
    That's probably so, but I really love "Who You Are" for some reason. The plaintive wistfulness in that song is missing in Roland's songs, which are bigger and more Beatley. Roland's a good singer, but he doesn't have the emotion that Curt Smith can convey in his voice. At any rate, "Everybody" was one of the best albums I'd heard in a long time, and I'd just love for them to release something new.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ELAHE is my fave album of the past decade. Just fantastic songwriting.
    Probably so, however the saturation and loudness of that master sucks for me relative to all TFF albums before it. When I heard those songs live in Baltimore, they were great.

I love all of the TFF albums and thought ELAHE was great. I'm into the Beatlesque stuff but also most everything else too. Hope they do make another album. Oddly enough I didn't really get into Tomcats but maybe I need to give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    That's probably so, but I really love "Who You Are" for some reason. The plaintive wistfulness in that song is missing in Roland's songs, which are bigger and more Beatley. Roland's a good singer, but he doesn't have the emotion that Curt Smith can convey in his voice. At any rate, "Everybody" was one of the best albums I'd heard in a long time, and I'd just love for them to release something new.
    ELaHE is stellar.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

That's probably so, but I really love "Who You Are" for some reason. .
    Great song. That bit that builds after the first chorus, is just magic. Also a few favs, "Call Me Mellow", "Ladybird", "Closest Thing To Heaven", "Pulling a Cloud" (though a little unfinished), this album my friends is pop magic. Combine with some incredibly intelligent lyrics that are, I don't know, age appropriate for me, and of course amazing production, it's the entire package. Love the Wings "Let 'Em In" reference on "Secret World". That's just fun.

That's probably so, but I really love "Who You Are" for some reason. The plaintive wistfulness in that song is missing in Roland's songs, which are bigger and more Beatley. Roland's a good singer, but he doesn't have the emotion that Curt Smith can convey in his voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Great song. That bit that builds after the first chorus, is just magic.
    I agree it is a good song. When they would perform it live it really kicked ass with NDV doubling Curt's vocals.

Here is the difference when Roland is involved…

This was recorded by Curt before the ELAHE version, released on his halfway, pleased cd:

The TFF version:

If I had to choose one song from Curt's solo career that he nails, I would choose this one:

Slivovitz... dear god. My dad would bring unmarked bottles of that back from the old country.

Nice song, Gruno, Seven of Sundays. Is that with Charlton Petrus?

"Seven of Sundays" is pretty much all Charlton Pettus. Curt performed this tune on "The Late Late Show with Craig Fergusson" back in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Here is the difference when Roland is involved…
    I didn't even have to listen to that for fifteen seconds before I got how much Roland improved that song. There's no doubt that Roland Orzabal is a brilliant songwriter/arranger, and having re-listened to ELaHE today, I feel like I want finally to try out "Elemental" and "Raoul." (After Curt Smith left I wasn't that interested in TFF anymore. Guess I was just that fond of his presence in the duo.)

I guess the best analogy for me is that Curt Smith is the Colin Moulding to Roland Orzabal's Andy Partridge. Roland is the bold, brazen genius while Curt is the quieter soul that softens his edge.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

We look at it in a similar way.

Raoul is a good one. If you are buying it new, get the re-release that came out around 2010. It has excellent liner notes from Roland. Also includes some unreleased gems like "War of Attrition" as well as the acoustic versions of "Raoul..." And "Break It Down Again".

Elemental is a good one. I favor Raoul a bit more. I revisit 90s TFF a lot more than their 80s output.

When TFF are in rehearsals for live shows, Roland often jams out some tracks from Raoul while the rest of the band takes a break. When Nick was in the band, he would rush to get behind the kit to join him. Nick is a big fan of Raoul and it was also his first tour back in the 90s. I wish Roland would suggest they play more from Raoul in their current live shows.
    Last edited by Gruno; 02-26-2014 at 01:33 AM.

it's been 10 years since ELAHE.... would love a new album.

Banned
    I like Elemental and especially the Beach Boyesque tune Brian Wilson Said. Apparently it was performed live:

Elemental is another excellent album. Great tracks, songwriting. Love the understated organ that murks so menacingly in "Power".

Here is the Raoul re-release info:

Digitally remastered and expanded edition of the 1995 album by the British band, their second release after the departure of co-founder Curt Smith. Tears For Fears' fifth studio album, Raoul And The Kings of Spain, now comes expanded with seven bonus recordings including 'All Of The Angels', 'The Madness Of Roland', 'Queen Of Compromise', 'Until I Drown', 'War Of Attrition' and acoustic versions of 'Raoul And The Kings Of Spain' and 'Break It Down Again'. The album features a return by Oleta Adams, who duets with Roland Orzabal on the track 'Me and My Big Ideas'. Includes a picture booklet containing sleevenotes by Malcolm Dome, a new interview with Roland Orzabal and a track by track run-down. Cherry Pop. 2009.
    1. Raoul and the Kings of Spain
    2. Falling Down
    3. Secrets
    4. God's Mistake
    5. Sketches of Pain
    6. Los Reyes Católicos
    7. Sorry
    8. Humdrum and Humble
    9. I Choose You
    10. Don't Drink the Water
    11. Me and My Big Ideas
    12. Los Reyes Católicos (Reprise)