Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush-Spirit of the Airwaves Live 1980 CD

Rush-Spirit of the Airwaves Live 1980 CD

Official live CD coming in March! As I dont listen to or collect bootlegs I am looking forward to this gem from my favourite Rush period!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Official live CD coming in March! As I dont listen to or collect bootlegs I am looking forward to this gem from my favourite Rush period!
    It's not an official release according to the rushisaband link.

I used to have this on cassette. I taped it off the radio when it was originally broadcast.

Also, this was the first tour that I saw them on.

I have every album from 74 (debut) to 82 (Signals) on vinyl. I have no Rush at all on CD. But I've also got 1 or 2 on cassette.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I have every album from 74 (debut) to 82 (Signals) on vinyl. I have no Rush at all on CD. But I've also got 1 or 2 on cassette.
    Thanks, we'll make a note of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, we'll make a note of that.
    Yea, I see you've contributed positively greatly to the thread. One post, just criticising, well done! You should be proud of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    It's not an official release according to the rushisaband link.

I used to have this on cassette. I taped it off the radio when it was originally broadcast.

Also, this was the first tour that I saw them on.
    There must be some legality to it as its been available as a dowload on i-tunes for a while!

Always liked that often-bootlegged St. Louis show. I remember hearing it as it was being broadcasted.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Widely available boot, you probably DL from one of the torrent sites like dimeadozen. Europe seems to have more lenient copyright laws on these kind of releases, I don't think the band gets anything. Might as well DL for free.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Widely available boot, you probably DL from one of the torrent sites like dimeadozen. Europe seems to have more lenient copyright laws on these kind of releases, I don't think the band gets anything. Might as well DL for free.
    It is also going to get a USA release. I fail to see the reason that just bevause it isnt on Rush's label makes it illegal. The run of KBFH radio shows were never on any of the bands 'labels' but they were all legit releases. Whether Rush get a penny or not wont stop me buyin g this!

It is also going to get a USA release. I fail to see the reason that just bevause it isnt on Rush's label makes it illegal. The run of KBFH radio shows were never on any of the bands 'labels' but they were all legit releases. Whether Rush get a penny or not wont stop me buyin g this!
    If you read the Rushisaband piece more closely, it says: It will be available in the US and Canada as an import only - likely due to legal issues as it's not an official Rush release. I'm not sure anyone's saying it's an illegal release. Probably Rush SHOULD be getting paid something for it (or the original radio station that broadcast it or something), but I doubt Rush cares that much if their fans buy this release. I doubt I'll buy it, but I'll probably download a copy from SOMEWHERE.

I don't see it on iTunes though...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-20-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Great show! I recorded it off of WMET in Chicago when it was broadcast. On 8 track. LOL! Definitive versions of 2112 and By Tor. They were on fire....

I fail to see the reason that just bevause it isnt on Rush's label makes it illegal.
    Really?!

Whether Rush get a penny or not wont stop me buyin g this!
    Nice.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Really?!

Nice.

So did any of the bands profit from the legit KBFH releases & did you buy any?

I've bought a few.

But I didn't know at the time that they weren't legit. Had I known, I would not have bought them.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have the old cd "La Villa Strangiato" same broadcast - love the sound. A rare flub on Natural Science from Neil too - gives it all the more character. lol I'll stick with that.

Question about the setlist: Considering this was from the Permanent Waves tour it's actually pretty light on material from that album and heavy on oldies. Was this the same setlist from the original FM broadcast, or did these people drop PW songs to get this onto a single CD? I notice it times out around 75 minutes so it's clearly not the entire concert.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

So did any of the bands profit from the legit KBFH releases & did you buy any?
    Those CDs weren't legit? Didn't know that. Sony released them without the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Question about the setlist: Considering this was from the Permanent Waves tour it's actually pretty light on material from that album and heavy on oldies. Was this the same setlist from the original FM broadcast, or did these people drop PW songs to get this onto a single CD? I notice it times out around 75 minutes so it's clearly not the entire concert.
    They played the entire PW album except for Different Strings & Entre Nous when I saw them. The setlist advertised for the CD is not the complete show.

I just looked at the setlist again and it's also missing Cygnus- X1 and Hemispheres.
    Last edited by Joe F.; 02-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.

They played the entire PW album except for Different Strings & Entre Nous when I saw them. The setlist advertised for the CD is not the complete show.
    What`s missing?

What`s missing?
    I just edited my post above to include a couple more missing songs.

I just edited my post above to include a couple more missing songs.
    Damn that's a shame!

Damn that's a shame!
    Indeed. It was a great show!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Been burning out lately to A Desert Passage from Tuscon in '78. My new live Rush favorite. (Except for the crowd mobbing the stage. MOVE BACK)
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson