Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Isildur's Bane Thread

I kind of sniffed at them initially with the "overrated" tag (ah, to be young), but eventually found myself digging MIND 1, MIND 2, and the Voyage quite more than a little. At least one of these is well worth checking out, and give yourself a little more time to let it sink in than I did back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    My favorite is Cheval, then all the ones before that.

I seem to be at odds with popular sentiment here in that I find Voyage and Mind do not hold my attention well enough to be enjoyable.
    I ordered Cheval a long time ago but the vendor (who shall remain nameless and doesn't operate anymore anyway)sent me the Voyage instead. I thought the Voyage was great though. Too bad I no longer have it and too bad it doesn't seem to currently be in print. As for that vendor well maybe one reason why his business is no longer around is because he kept sending cds to his customers that they didn't order.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I have been off this forum for some time, but after my friend Sid Smith mentioned that IB had been mentioned a while ago, I decided to have a look. Following that, I decided to make a comeback and very briefly let you know what IB are up to and also put some things right that have been posted in this thread. I must warn you, this post will go on for a bit. Make tea and read on.

First of all, let me just mention who I am. My name is Thomas Olsson and I am a musicologist by profession (working at Lund University), but in my spare time I do work as a projects manager for IB and curator for IB Expo.

Since 2005, IB is a project based band. That is, depending on what we do, the line up can vary in size from a small unit to an extended band. The same year, we also started IB Expo, a week long musical meeting between musicians from different background who meet on Monday morning, rehearse and do clinics/workshops for five days and wrap the week up with a one time only concert on Saturday evening where everybody brings material and play together. We just wrapped up our 11th IB Expo last Saturday.

Over the years, we have had the pleasure of welcoming Jerry Marotta, Mick Karn, Tom Griesgraber, Markus Reuter, Pat Mastelotto, Pamelia Stickney, Mike Keneally, Björn J:son Lindh, Janne Schaffer, Valgeir Sigurdsson, Tony Levin, Michael Bernier, Julie Slick, Adrian Belew, Marco Minnemann, Michala Østergaard-Nielsen, Lisa Nordström, Lisen Rylander Löwe, Phil Manzanera, Guy Pratt, Lindha Kallerdahl, Jakko Jakszyk, Trey Gunn, Liesbeth Lambrecht, Jana Arns, Joris Vanvinckenroye, Morgan Ågren, Luca Calabrese, Christian Saggese, Richard Barbieri, Steve Hogarth, David Torn, Qarin Wikström, Percy Jones, Mel Collins, Magnus Öström and David Rhodes.

We have also actively worked with young musicians, presenting clinics/workshops with some of the names mentioned above, but also Bill Buford, Henry Kaiser, The Thing (Mats Gustafsson, Paal Nilssen-Love & Ingebrigt Haaker-Flaten), Mattias "Ia" Eklundh, Terry Bozzio and others.

IB currently do three things:
    1) band activities (recordings, live gigs)
    2) clinics/workshops
    3) IB Expo

In 2016, IB will celebrate 40 years of unbroken musical activity. Therefore, we plan on releasing a new album, plus a compilation album and possibly a book. All of these will appear - fingers crossed - towards the end of 2016. IB Expo 16 will celebrate 40 years of IB music and present new music featuring well-known international guests.

The current line up (since 2012) is: Katrine Amsler (keyboards, electronics), Klas Assarsson (percussion), Axel Croné (bass/woodwinds), Samuel Hällkvist (guitar), Mats Johansson (keyboards) and Kjell Severinsson (drums).

Regarding instruments at NEARfest: drums, perucssion and amps were kindly supplied by the festival. Guitar, bass and the keyboards traveled with us from Sweden. Unfortunately, the Kurzweil K2000 broke during the transport and worked erratically for a while during the festival before it gave in completely.

The Voyage and MIND Vol. 1 are out of print, but we hope to print new editions next year.

As our website is under reconstruction, and will be for some time, I recommend keeping in touch with IB via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ibexpo

Thanks for your interest in IB, we appreciate it greatly!

All the best!

Thomas

fantastic news Thomas!

I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing some new music from IB
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing some new music from IB
    As am I! Thanks for the update! I still have my Voyage 'suitcase'. I have to periodically re-glue the labels as they tend to come loose around the edges.

Thanks for the update! I have much love and respect for IB...keep up the fantastic work!

Thanks for this great news, Thomas. I used to receive a newsletter from you now and then, but I suppose that history now everybody (except me it seems) is running to the facebooks.

I hope the book won't be in Swedish

And any chance for some dvd's and/or cd's with a collection of the Expo-performances?? Would love to have some of Mick Karn's live-work with the band.
    Last edited by interbellum; 12-03-2015 at 02:48 PM.

I guess I may be the only one to stick up for MIND Vol. 3. I actually found the combination of prog band + free improvisors interesting and enjoyable. Then again I do like improv.

A friend of mine noticed the IB-facebook announced the passing of former IB-guitarist Mats Nilsson. Farewell Mats.

For those who don't do Facebook here is the full message:

"It is with great sorrow that we heard of the passing of Mats Nilsson, guitarist, vocalist, composer and co-founder of Isildurs Bane. He is fondly remembered by us and our thoughts go to his family. Here is Mats at his best, live in Budapest playing Sea Reflections"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I have been off this forum for some time, but after my friend Sid Smith mentioned that IB had been mentioned a while ago, I decided to have a look. Following that, I decided to make a comeback and very briefly let you know what IB are up to and also put some things right that have been posted in this thread. I must warn you, this post will go on for a bit. Make tea and read on.

First of all, let me just mention who I am. My name is Thomas Olsson and I am a musicologist by profession (working at Lund University), but in my spare time I do work as a projects manager for IB and curator for IB Expo.

Since 2005, IB is a project based band. That is, depending on what we do, the line up can vary in size from a small unit to an extended band. The same year, we also started IB Expo, a week long musical meeting between musicians from different background who meet on Monday morning, rehearse and do clinics/workshops for five days and wrap the week up with a one time only concert on Saturday evening where everybody brings material and play together. We just wrapped up our 11th IB Expo last Saturday.

Over the years, we have had the pleasure of welcoming Jerry Marotta, Mick Karn, Tom Griesgraber, Markus Reuter, Pat Mastelotto, Pamelia Stickney, Mike Keneally, Björn J:son Lindh, Janne Schaffer, Valgeir Sigurdsson, Tony Levin, Michael Bernier, Julie Slick, Adrian Belew, Marco Minnemann, Michala Østergaard-Nielsen, Lisa Nordström, Lisen Rylander Löwe, Phil Manzanera, Guy Pratt, Lindha Kallerdahl, Jakko Jakszyk, Trey Gunn, Liesbeth Lambrecht, Jana Arns, Joris Vanvinckenroye, Morgan Ågren, Luca Calabrese, Christian Saggese, Richard Barbieri, Steve Hogarth, David Torn, Qarin Wikström, Percy Jones, Mel Collins, Magnus Öström and David Rhodes.

We have also actively worked with young musicians, presenting clinics/workshops with some of the names mentioned above, but also Bill Buford, Henry Kaiser, The Thing (Mats Gustafsson, Paal Nilssen-Love & Ingebrigt Haaker-Flaten), Mattias "Ia" Eklundh, Terry Bozzio and others.

IB currently do three things:
    1) band activities (recordings, live gigs)
    2) clinics/workshops
    3) IB Expo

In 2016, IB will celebrate 40 years of unbroken musical activity. Therefore, we plan on releasing a new album, plus a compilation album and possibly a book. All of these will appear - fingers crossed - towards the end of 2016. IB Expo 16 will celebrate 40 years of IB music and present new music featuring well-known international guests.

The current line up (since 2012) is: Katrine Amsler (keyboards, electronics), Klas Assarsson (percussion), Axel Croné (bass/woodwinds), Samuel Hällkvist (guitar), Mats Johansson (keyboards) and Kjell Severinsson (drums).

Regarding instruments at NEARfest: drums, perucssion and amps were kindly supplied by the festival. Guitar, bass and the keyboards traveled with us from Sweden. Unfortunately, the Kurzweil K2000 broke during the transport and worked erratically for a while during the festival before it gave in completely.

The Voyage and MIND Vol. 1 are out of print, but we hope to print new editions next year.

As our website is under reconstruction, and will be for some time, I recommend keeping in touch with IB via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ibexpo

Thanks for your interest in IB, we appreciate it greatly!

All the best!

Thomas
    Thanks for the thorough update! I look forward to new material and (hopefully) the reprint of The Voyage!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

And that's Pat Mastelotto on drums.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Recent concert from IB with Richard Barbieri and Percy Jones:

The Voyage, MIND Vol. 1 and MIND Vol. 4 will be available again for sure in 2016. Probably the first half of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Thanks for the thorough update! I look forward to new material and (hopefully) the reprint of The Voyage!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    The Voyage, MIND Vol. 1 and MIND Vol. 4 will be available again for sure in 2016. Probably the first half of 2016.
    Excellent. Many thanks!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.