Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is progressive rock progressive?

Is progressive rock progressive?

Is Pink Floyd progressive rock or did Mike Portnoy ruin Genesis when Phil Collins quit Yes to become Neal Morse or are The Flower Kings less progressive after Steve Hackett left to pursue a career in King Crimson launched progressive rock but is In the Court of Future Past the first progressive rock album that ruined prog when Jon Anderson joined Opeth and betrayed progressive rock when Rick Wakeman sold his mellotron to Porcupine Tree to become a Tarkus is the best progressive rock album of all Time Honored Ghosts is good but is Barclay James Harvest really a progressive label or did they sell out when they signed The Scorpions were progressive rock when they were good but is it good to be progressive and is progressive rock really progressive when Änglagård is regressive or is it better to be repressive like Genesis really ruined progressive rock when Trevor Horn sang Hold On Your Lonely Hearts Club Band is really the first progressive rock album but is it any good?

First, define "music".

When I read the posts on PE after several glasses of wine too many on a Saturday night, this is kind of how it comes across. It also comes across this way on Monday mornings with coffee and a donut, and occasionally on Thursday evenings when I order pizza.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We have a couple other subjects here too. On a good week, anyway.

One opinion consists of varying globules of burnt kitty lips fused with a thinking plague of lighthouse keeper of the keys to ascension, love, devotion and surrender all invisible touch cds to be confiscated and replaced with advent and white willowglass hammer in the sands of singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    First, define "music".
    First, define "define".

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    First, define "define".
    It is the pretty girl among a group of women. She's define one.

chalkpie
    burp.

ruined-progressive-regressive... stick with what sounds pleasing to your ears. I'm enjoying Bee Gees-Main Course as we speak. Then I'll go revisit Opeth-Deliverance and then Dream Theater-Metropolis followed by Roland Orzabal-Raoul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Is Pink Floyd progressive rock or did Mike Portnoy ruin Genesis when Phil Collins quit Yes to become Neal Morse or are The Flower Kings less progressive after Steve Hackett left to pursue a career in King Crimson launched progressive rock but is In the Court of Future Past the first progressive rock album that ruined prog when Jon Anderson joined Opeth and betrayed progressive rock when Rick Wakeman sold his mellotron to Porcupine Tree to become a Tarkus is the best progressive rock album of all Time Honored Ghosts is good but is Barclay James Harvest really a progressive label or did they sell out when they signed The Scorpions were progressive rock when they were good but is it good to be progressive and is progressive rock really progressive when Änglagård is regressive or is it better to be repressive like Genesis really ruined progressive rock when Trevor Horn sang Hold On Your Lonely Hearts Club Band is really the first progressive rock album but is it any good?
    Could you clarify just one point? Is your avatar wearing panties?

Old prog is progressive because of the melodies
    New prog is not very melodic so it doesn't progress past 1 listen

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If Flash is playing in a forest and no one's listening, do they make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If Flash is playing in a forest and no one's listening, do they make a sound?
    ZING!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Are Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, and Kansas progressive? For years people have said yes, but some people are here have said no. Now, I'm confused. Can someone help.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ruined-progressive-regressive... stick with what sounds pleasing to your ears. I'm enjoying Bee Gees-Main Course as we speak. Then I'll go revisit Opeth-Deliverance and then Dream Theater-Metropolis followed by Roland Orzabal-Raoul.
    Yes, but is Roland Orzabel Tears for Fears?

Banned
    Talk
    It's only talk
    Arguments
    Agreements
    Advice
    Answers

Articulate announcements
    It's only talk

Talk
    It's only talk
    Babble
    Burble
    Banter
    Bicker bicker bicker
    Brouhaha
    Boulderdash
    Ballyhoo
    It's only talk
    Back talk

Talk talk talk
    It's only talk
    Comments
    Cliches
    Commentary
    Controversy
    Chatter
    Chit-chat
    Chit-chat
    Chit-chat

Conversation
    Contradiction
    Criticism
    It's only talk
    Cheap talk

Talk
    Talk
    It's only talk
    Debates
    Discussions
    These are words with a D this time
    Dialogue
    Dualogue
    Diatribe

Dissention
    Declamation
    Double talk
    Double talk

Talk
    Talk
    It's all talk
    Too much talk
    Small talk
    Talk that trash
    Expressions
    Editorials
    Expugnations
    Exclamations
    Enfadulations
    It's all talk
    Elephant talk
    Elephant talk
    Elephant talk

TFF was always about Roland and his magic voice. Raoul And The Kings Of Spain sounds very progressive to me

that is one long sentence to read. you know how stops and comas were invented to help with reading Suggestion: erase gaps between words!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Music is dead. Listen to pigs only.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

What the hell is progressive rock? Liberal shale?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Yes and no. Pun.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You know, I get it. You are creating a parody thread of how silly discussions can be here, and how often the same can of progressive worms can be opened ad-nauseam. Yet, these "joke" threads have now become the new Freebird of this site, and annoy me far more than what they are making fun of.

If its copying older music's style, form, sound, epics, etc. how can it then be progressive?
    Regressive is the word that comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    You know, I get it. You are creating a parody thread of how silly discussions can be here, and how often the same can of progressive worms can be opened ad-nauseam. Yet, these "joke" threads have now become the new Freebird of this site, and annoy me far more than what they are making fun of.
    You say that, but here you are.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You say that, but here you are.
    Ok, so your "logic" is that I opened this thread, which is proof that I am not sick of joke threads? Glad you know my mind and feelings better than me. I guess you are from the "you can only comment on things you like" camp?