Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: "High Fantasy" recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Whoa, yes. Norrell/Strange is not exactly "high" fantasy, but it's one of the most original fantasy novels in the last 20 years or so.
    Norrell/Strange is very reminiscent of Moby Dick in its mode of storytelling (the asides, citations, footnotes and stories within stories). And I'm sure if Herman Melville was considering writing a fantasy epic devoid of allegory, then it might be set up like this. The novel itself started off promising, but I found I really disliked it by the end. There is a lot of dicking around and dawdling, with much belaboring of points, and the climax is...anti-climactic. But I heartily suggest reading the first few chapters, which are excellent. Then stop.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I was reading your description of the Susanna Clarke book and thinking to myself "That sounds a lot like Little, Big. Then I kept reading. I'm unfamiliar with the Clarke book, but will probably order it tonight.
    Hey, so my post was already worth writing! Based on your remarks in this thread, I'd be surprised if you did not at least like it.

Regarding Little, Big, I just finished rereading Crowley's first three short novels (collected as Otherwise, and it's interesting to see how the accessability improves from book to book, while the ideas are brilliant right from the start. Have you already read Ka from 2017? I've got in on order, and really look forward to see how his return to more fantastic topics works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MaikH View Post
    Have you already read Ka from 2017? I've got in on order, and really look forward to see how his return to more fantastic topics works out.
    Superb book, though that's not surprising from Crowley.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaikH View Post
    Gene Wolfe • The Wizard Knight

So, thanks again for starting this thread - for myself, the first recommendation I'll pick up from here is Patricia McKillip, who was a complete unknown to me but sounds right up my alley.
    My pleasure. The recommendations here have dominated my reading since my initial post. I did read The Wizard/The Knight by Gene Wolf, enjoyed the use of the "unreliable narrator". McKillip's Forgotten Beasts of Eld led me to her RiddleMaster trilogy. All thanks to the good folks here.
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 07-01-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Have any of you read anything by Naomi Novik? "Uprooted" and "Spinning Silver" were both fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Have any of you read anything by Naomi Novik? "Uprooted" and "Spinning Silver" were both fantastic.
    Her Temeraire series was very good. The first three novels in the series were excellent.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

After finishing Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy (I find his prose captivating, as I did when I read his Pendragon Cycle, of which I still have Avalon waiting), just enjoyed Poul Anderson's charming "Thre Hearts and Three Lions" which I devoured in a day. Thanks once again for these recomendations!

Halfway through "Foundryside" by Robert Jackson Bennett. Had been on my list for past year but pulled the trigger after reading a great review of the second book in the NYT Book Review. Not sure if others are enjoying this as much as I am. Fast-paced, intriguing stuff. The writing kinda reminds me of China Mieveile's urban fantasies.

Just finished a rather astonishing book called Black Leopard, Red Wolf. It's set in an alternate, or maybe future (after a few rises and falls of human civilization) Africa-like place, with all sorts of magickal stuff going on. The hero is called Tracker because he "has a nose", the ability to know where someone is after getting their scent. He and a bunch of other people get hired by a slaver to find a young boy who was stolen three years ago. Politics of kingdoms and war are involved.

Not for the weak of stomach or those who can't handle gay sex and random vulgarity.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!