Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "High Fantasy" recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Glad you enjoyed those! The four volume Rain Wild Chronicles picks up basically from where Liveship Traders leaves off, so that may be a good logical next step. But I love all her stuff.

I'm waiting for the last book of Fitz and the Fool to come out (which should be soon) before cracking into those. When I start with Hobb's stuff, I get very obsessive about it and have to read everything in the series, so I want them all in hand before starting one.

Bill
    I just finished Liveship Traders. Currently taking a break from the genre but will be picking up the Rain Wild Chronicles when I return !
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Malazan Book of the Fallen

Probably been mentioned already, but just in case it has not....

I don't know if Erikson writes "high fantasy" or not but this is deep, brutal and great world building.

My favorite in the series:

Also, please chime in and join our group for those who may not be aware: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php?groupid=27
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Malazan Book of the Fallen

Probably been mentioned already, but just in case it has not....

I don't know if Erikson writes "high fantasy" or not but this is deep, brutal and great world building.

My favorite in the series:

Also, please chime in and join our group for those who may not be aware: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php?groupid=27
    Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are my favorites in that series. So many great moments in those two books. That series took a turn I didn't care for in the next few books but I'll give Erikson credit for sticking the landing with the last two books.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I just finished Liveship Traders. Currently taking a break from the genre but will be picking up the Rain Wild Chronicles when I return !
    I believe The Tawny Man Trilogy is what comes next:

• Fool's Errand (2001)
    • The Golden Fool (2002)
    • Fool's Fate (2003)

and The Rain Wild Chronicles follow it.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    I believe The Tawny Man Trilogy is what comes next:

• Fool's Errand (2001)
    • The Golden Fool (2002)
    • Fool's Fate (2003)

and The Rain Wild Chronicles follow it.
    I read both the Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy. I believe they take place at the same time as the Liveship Trilogy as Amber makes an appearance in one of those series, as she is of the same species as The Fool.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    You are going to the City. There is only one City. It is only said with a capital C. No one needs bother saying the name of the City. It is the City.
    San Francisco?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    San Francisco?
    No, that's a PK Dick novel. Technically Berkeley, but close enough.

The problem with that list is that I *do* have an apostrophe (and a hyphen, for that matter...) in my full name. Where's my f***ing magical MacGuffin?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Halfway through Ship of Magic, thanks for the recommendation.

Forgot to thank the group for the recommendation for "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld" by Patricia McKillip, a delightful stand-alone read which prompted me to buy her "Riddle-Master" Trilogy (found used in one volume).

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Forgot to thank the group for the recommendation for "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld" by Patricia McKillip, a delightful stand-alone read which prompted me to buy her "Riddle-Master" Trilogy (found used in one volume).
    She’s a wonderful writer, continuing to write her little short-form standalone novellas in the era of bloated door-stopper epics. I have a soft spot for her because she lives just up the coast from me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That's about when world building and stage setting shifts into action! You won't regret starting the series!

P.S. Halfway through the 1st book of the Tawny Man Trilogy. Can't get enough of Robin Hobb's books!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I took that recommendation too, and am a little more than half way through. I'm keeping with it but finding it kind of slow going. Let's discuss it when we're done.

I thought I'd take a brief fantasy break (which means reading some SF) but was compelled to return to Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle with Merlin (Book Two), which I started this weekend. I have a soft spot for Arthurian literature, loved "Once and Future King" some years ago...

I thought I'd take a brief fantasy break (which means reading some SF) but was compelled to return to Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle with Merlin (Book Two), which I started this weekend. I have a soft spot for Arthurian literature, loved "Once and Future King" some years ago...
    Have you read the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell? I loved that take on Arthur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warlord_Chronicles

In an appendix in the last book, Cornwell writes that in Saxon written history, for two generations their progress across England/Wales was stopped dead in its tracks by one Brit warlord. They hated this guy so much that they refused to write his name. And that gave Cornwell an idea...

Just finished Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, first in the Broken Empire series. Oh my, this puts the grim into grimdark. The setting is somewhere in Europe, far in the future and everything is reduced back to medieval tech with little knowledge of the past. The protagonist, Prince Jorg, witnessed his mother and brother killed when he was ten and now he's a teenager, reckless and amoral, bent on vengeance. There's some feuding sorcerers playing some great game and Jorg becomes a pawn. But when a pawn becomes aware the body count sky-rockets. Jorg commits an atrocious war crime and yet, you're kinda rooting for the young psychopath. I'd recommend it but like I said before, it is a very dark ride.

Sounds intruiging.. Is the entire series already finished? I don't read anything where the last book isn't already available...

I took a break from fantasy for a while but recently started The Soldier's Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. Not rated as highly as some of her other works, but I am totally engrossed so far. Once again, her characters pop off the pages, warts and all... Truly one of the more mature and philosophical fantasy writers.

Yep, the series is completed.

Robin Hobb is a marvel and I need to pick up more of her books.

Mark Lawrence- Broken Empire ... NOTED!

Don't know if this has been mentioned:

The Stormlight Chronicles by Brandon Sanderson. Three books so far: The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and Oathbringer. All three are VERY long. First two are excellent, but the third has been a slight drop in quality but still very good.

Mistborn series also by Sanderson. Ever so slightly less awesome than the above. I have only listened to the first book so far (I listen to audiobooks in the car to and from work or trips, etc.)

The magics described in both books are very original.

And while I don't know if this qualifies as "high fantasy" (don't really know nor care about the 'distinctions' of the different sorts of fantasies) but my fave fantasy book of all time is Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly. I have read this several times and listened to the audiobook numerous times as well. The rich characters and the subtle details of world building are phenomenal.

One other series as I think of it. The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik imagines the Napoleonic wars with sentient dragons added into the mix. Absolutely zero magic and a very realistic depiction of the mores and language of the time. The first three books are excellent, the fourth passable and the last five decent.

I actually bought my mom the Mistborn series, which I will borrow off her once she is finished with it. Thanks for the other recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Don't know if this has been mentioned:

The Stormlight Chronicles by Brandon Sanderson. Three books so far: The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and Oathbringer. All three are VERY long. First two are excellent, but the third has been a slight drop in quality but still very good.
    I have been eagerly awaiting Oathbringer since book 2. Heard the same about the drop in quality, but hoping I don't notice. Also heard that he has as many as ten books planned for the series, which doesn't sound promising to be honest. We don't need another Wheel of Time, which, just like it's name, just goes on and on and on.....

Long series can be good; just look at the Malazan Book of the Damned...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Long series can be good; just look at the Malazan Book of the Damned...
    The Malazan is the exception to the rule. Besides, Sanderson was not involved with the Malazan, but Sanderson finished what Jordan started long after it should have been ended.