Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: "High Fantasy" recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Thanks to J. Michael Straczynski, who is the executor of the Ellison estate, we're finally getting The Last Dangerous Visions.
    [ring ring]

Hello?

Hey Harlan! Is it really frozen over down there?
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY overwhelmingly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Thanks to J. Michael Straczynski, who is the executor of the Ellison estate, we're finally getting The Last Dangerous Visions. Apparently it features a previously unpublished Ellison story along with all the others, a work which may or may not be Suspect Zero in the volume's decades-long delay.
    I've been disappointed so many times by promised appearances of TLDV that I'll pretty much believe it when I see it. Plus, what was new and shocking in the mid-'70s when the book was originally being assembled may be dull today. And there may be some legal issues concerning some of the work by people who were alive then but ain't now.

BUT, I have a lot of faith in Joe Straczynski's work ethic, so I have some hope that it will actually appear. But...we'll see.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I've been disappointed so many times by promised appearances of TLDV that I'll pretty much believe it when I see it. Plus, what was new and shocking in the mid-'70s when the book was originally being assembled may be dull today. And there may be some legal issues concerning some of the work by people who were alive then but ain't now.

BUT, I have a lot of faith in Joe Straczynski's work ethic, so I have some hope that it will actually appear. But...we'll see.
    JMS went into that, too. Some stories, he affirms, are as relevant, or more so, today. Some will no longer appear and rights have been returned to those authors. Thus, there are new (modern) stories that have been added to TLDV. Last month, he opened a 24-hour submission window for one last story, with the proviso that only new, unpublished authors may submit. That's pretty cool.

The eons are closing
    When I was reading up on this- I was surprised at the venom from Priest on the matter

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Finished Katherine Kurtz' first Deryni trilogy, enjoyed those so immediately moved onto her Legends of Camber of Culdi trilogy. Thanks for the recommendation, what later works of hers should I be seeking out?

In the middle of "The Golem and the Jinni" by Helene Wecker. It's an interesting story and a nice change from someone swinging swords and casting spells.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.