Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where Genesis the first prog band to go 'pop'?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    that my comments were directed to Peter G. He stated in post #37 that Pink Floyd weren't prog.
    NO I didn't. READ what is written. What I said in response to the "pop" issue was "Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple and Genesis all STARTED off as pop bands" That is a stone cold FACT. And my response there had nothing to do with whether or not certain bands were or weren't prog. But it does not mean that they didn't develop into other things becasue we all know they did. And it definitely does not mean that I said PF were not prog. Pink Floyd were prog. Did you not read my previous post on this?

Speaking of letting it go. I know it's "his opinion", but not many people think the same way. I was only trying to be helpful and save him the embarrassment of a thread like Mel Collins Ruined Genesis.
    No embarrassment possible, it is only musical opinion on a website.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No embarrassment possible, it is only musical opinion on a website.
    Well, I've learned that statements like "Kansas aren't prog"(which you did say in post #37) goes down on here like "Phil Collins ruined Genesis". Kansas is a prog band like Genesis(in both cases, both bands mixed long and short songs). When punk came along, both bands(along with many other bands) either changed their sound, or disbanded. In fact, Kansas is recognized as one of the first American prog bands. Supertramp is term "progressive pop" or "prog pop". Certain members of Kansas every call themselves progressive rock. Steve Hackett must've recognized Kansas as a prog, since he did have Steve Walsh and Phil Ehart guest on Please Don't Touch.

OPINIONS vary from person to person and nowhere as great as when it comes to the ARTS.

Kansas was never a prog band TO MY EARS. Phil Collins IMPROVED Genesis TO MY EARS when he replaced that moaning, shitty lyric-writer Gabriel. Trick is their BEST album TO MY EARS. Zappa is the god of experimental music TO MY EARS and made most prog rock bands sound lame. Jethro Tull was NEVER a prog band TO MY EARS. Rush is BRILLIANT. Pink Floyd were a prog band TO MY EARS. Apart from about 3 albums YES was mostly pretty boring TO MY EARS. When King Crimson were good they were very very good but when they were bad they were bloody awful TO MY EARS. Gentle Giant was one of the few prog bands in the 70s that starting with their debut had a successive run of 5 great albums , TO MY EARS. Floyd, Yes, KC, Genesis didn't even come close to a successive run like that. ELP was the only other 70s prog band that had a great run of 5 lps like that starting with the debut TO MY EARS. Cardiacs is the best band ever to have existed TO MY EARS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    moaning, shitty lyric-writer Gabriel.
    Seriously? Peter Gabriel a shitty lyric writer? Btw, did you know that Phil sang in a similar to Gabriel up until Duke? Tell me, do you prefer Hogarth to Fish?

? Yes
    ? Yes
    ? No,he didn't, not TO MY EARS
    ? No

I did warn you that you are better off arguing with a brick wall than with this braying lunatic.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, I've learned that statements like "Kansas aren't prog"(which you did say in post #37) goes down on here like "Phil Collins ruined Genesis".
    Yes, they certainly do go down the same. You obsess over them and won't ever let them go. Are you trying to set a record for ruined threads?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'd love to participate in this thread but I have to, I dunno, go jerk off or something...
    So, is Glass Hammer a Christian band or not? Because no Christians jerk off.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So, is Glass Hammer a Christian band or not? Because no Christians jerk off.
    Figure of speech.

Lol! ^^ spiritual warfare on PE!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You know, trurl, I've never really been able to tell what the heck is going on in your avatar, but it always looked like the cover of Tormato. Is it a Lego version of the cover of Tormato?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You know, trurl, I've never really been able to tell what the heck is going on in your avatar, but it always looked like the cover of Tormato. Is it a Lego version of the cover of Tormato?
    Yep, with little bitty tomato seeds I don't remember where I found it!

This is also great;

^^ My favorite avatar on PE.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally