Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Genesis the first prog band to go 'pop'?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Can't really get my head around the idea of "Revealing Science" being entirely woven of pop songs
    Not "entirely", but individual sections, that work on their own is what I'm getting at

There are plenty of hooks and melodies

As for "Supper's Ready", I doubt "Apocalypse In 9/8" was a smash hit on AM radio.
    Neither was "Willow Farm", but that was a "45", just dropped in : )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Neither was "Willow Farm", but that was a "45", just dropped in : )
    Very true!

As for "Revealing Science", I can certainly see how singles could have been made from the "Starlight... seeker..." sections as well as the main "We must have waited all our lives for this" theme. Perhaps not the opening chant or the Wakeman moog solo. Now this would be a fun/funny project for someone with good music software skills... Tales From Topographic Oceans: The Singles!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Early Yes was full of melodies and hooks in both long and short form song. Yet all anyone wants to remember are the side-long epics..
    "Close to the Edge" has three verses, an instrumental solo and a middle-8. Structurally, it's a three-minute pop song.

Everything being relative, back to the OP question, I would nominate the BEATLES as the first progressive band to go POP. Now showing my age, back in the early 60s, you had Paul Anka, Elvis, Paul Mariot (love is blue) and then the BEATLES came along. Quite progressive in comparison..... then they went POP with HEY JUDE, COME TOGETHER and SOMETHING. Ruined it for me right there.

Jim

The Beatles were the first pop band to go progressive.

Banned
    You're wasting your time, man. Might as well argue with a brick wall.
    Do you just like attacking me? So, you agree with him that Pink Floyd and Kansas aren't prog band? So, I guess websites like Allmusic and Progressive Archives are wrong in labeling these bands Progressive Rock.

Banned

Banned
    Even some of Kansas' short songs were symphonic and progressive

Banned
    Nothing worse that someone trying to rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Nothing worse that someone trying to rewrite history.
    I can think of something worse...

Oh, please JIF, post more videos for nobody to watch.

I recall seeing a Frank Zappa interview on CBS where they called him a "rocker." So, I guess that means he was a "rocker."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Oh, please JIF, post more videos for nobody to watch.
    LOL. Videos this time? I thought it would be whining and putting words in people's mouths again. This is what I see instead. Highly recommended.

Capture.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

LOL. Videos this time?
    Well, in all fairness, it was only a dozen.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Well, in all fairness, it was only a dozen.
    LOL. Videos this time? I thought it would be whining and putting words in people's mouths again. This is what I see instead. Highly recommended.

Capture.jpg
    If Frank Zappa wasn't progressive, then what was he(besides a genius)? No one before and no one since has done what Zappa has done. Also, you two obviously missed the points of my posts. Why do you two say that Pink Floyd, Zappa, and Kansas aren't progressive when a lot of people say that they are?

So, you agree with him that Pink Floyd and Kansas aren't prog band?
    JIF, please try to remember what people have written & stop making wild assumptions about what you think people think based on what they HAVEN'T written. I have NEVER EVER on this forum or any other forum said that Pink Floys is not prog. I have ALWAYS considered Pink Floyd as one of the Big 5 & most definitely prog.

1. Genesis
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Yes
    4. King Crimson
    5. ELP

If Frank Zappa wasn't progressive, then what was he(besides a genius)? No one before and no one since has done what Zappa has done. Also, you two obviously missed the points of my posts. Why do you two say that Pink Floyd, Zappa, and Kansas aren't progressive when a lot of people say that they are?
    Man, you really don't get it. Of course Zappa was progressive. Frank was just about everything.

You cited web sites as your proof that a band is progressive:

So, I guess websites like Allmusic and Progressive Archives are wrong in labeling these bands Progressive Rock.
    While I agree that Kansas and, especially Pink Floyd, are prog, just because a couple of web sites say something doesn't necessarily make it true. So, I was proving that with an example of someone else's wrong labeling of a musician.

Zappa was great. Zappa transcended all genres. Zappa was better than most prog rock bands & it is for those reasons I've never considered Zappa as prog rock becasue I think calling Zappa prog rock is an insult. He was so much more than just a genre, he was all genres. Zappa's genre was Zappa: progressive, fusion, classical, jazz, rock, avantgarde, pop, rock n roll, doo wop etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Zappa was great. Zappa transcended all genres. Zappa was better than most prog rock bands & it is for those reasons I've never considered Zappa as prog rock becasue I think calling Zappa prog rock is an insult. He was so much more than just a genre, he was all genres. Zappa's genre was Zappa: progressive, fusion, classical, jazz, rock, avantgarde, pop, rock n roll, doo wop etc.
    I totally agree, which is why I was careful to use "progressive" with a small "p."

Zappa transcended all genres. Zappa's genre was Zappa:
    Agree..

I've devoted more time and spent more money on Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa than I could ever estimate, and mass amounts of physical media by both sets of artists fill quite a lot of my shelves. I am a FREAK for both Floyd and Zappa. Anyone who decides that I said either are "not prog" (as though that's of any importance anyway) is an idiot. But then, we already knew that, didn't we?

If there was ever one single member that could be pinpointed as significantly lowering the value of this otherwise excellent forum, I think I know who it is.

Man, you really don't get it.
    The things that clown doesn't get could fill a phone book.

Banned
    I've devoted more time and spent more money on Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa than I could ever estimate, and mass amounts of physical media by both sets of artists fill quite a lot of my shelves. I am a FREAK for both Floyd and Zappa. Anyone who decides that I said either are "not prog" (as though that's of any importance anyway) is an idiot. But then, we already knew that, didn't we?

If there was ever one single member that could be pinpointed as significantly lowering the value of this otherwise excellent forum, I think I know who it is.

The things that clown doesn't get could fill a phone book.
    If you could get your head out of your ass, you would realize that my comments were directed to Peter G. He stated in post #37 that Pink Floyd and Kansas weren't prog. I only mentioned you because, as usually, you attack me without any reason. Now, can we all get back to making of Rufus?

If you could get your head out of your ass, you would realize that my comments were directed to Peter G. He stated in post #37 that Pink Floyd and Kansas weren't prog. I only mentioned you because, as usually, you attack me without any reason. Now, can we all get back to making of Rufus?
    JIF, let it go, will ya? His statement was (emphasis mine):

...For me Supertramp, Kansas, Zappa, Jethro Tull (as much as I like all of them) were never prog. It is all very individual.
    Why do you find it so difficult to accept this?

There are many here who disagree with it. But only you can't seem to let it go.

Banned
    JIF, let it go, will ya? His statement was (emphasis mine):

Why do you find it so difficult to accept this?

There are many here who disagree with it. But only you can't seem to let it go.
    Speaking of letting it go. I know it's "his opinion", but not many people think the same way. I was only trying to be helpful and save him the embarrassment of a thread like Mel Collins Ruined Genesis.

Pink Floyd isn't prog.

Just sayin'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Pink Floyd isn't prog.

Just sayin'.
    That's a load of crap, Fred. Next, you're going to tell me that bears don't shit in the woods.