Thread: The prog-metal Sweeney Todd - to appear in DC

The prog-metal Sweeney Todd - to appear in DC

Yes, you read that right. A theater company in the Washington, DC area is in the process of developing a prog-metal version of Sweeney Todd. You know, the Broadway musical.....

As unlikely as this sounds, it might work better than you'd think:

In fact the only real problem I hear with Dee's version is that the original was written for a whole stage full of singers, but he's just one guy, and so some of the changes don't come off quite the way the music wants them to.

Here's a few links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...b84_story.html

http://www.playbill.com/news/article...f-Sweeney-Todd

http://www.dcmetrotheaterarts.com/20...ew-l-baughman/

Sweeney Todd is a pretty good show; the music is one of the best I can think of for a musical of the last 40 years.

Having said that, I probably won't go see this, as I am just not a prog metal fan.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that - I'm a huge Sweeney Todd fan, having seen the original Broadway production, as well as a couple of other NYC productions since then. We're going to see a NY Philharmonic production in March with Emma Thompson. Also, my father was a friend of Sondheim's and we've been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times, and he's also been helpful in getting us tickets to shows in the past.

I was never a Twisted Sister fan, but I felt a bit bad for Dee Snider's stalled career, so I'm happy to say that this looks pretty cool, and he actually seems to be a good person to do it. I may actually look into the possibility of seeing this production.

To anyone who's never seen it (if there is anyone), the Tim Burton movie is a damn good version of it - they sacrifice a few songs, but it's all thoughtfully done and well performed. I was so glad Burton was as faithful as could be expected for a screen version.

Sondheim is smart in allowing younger people to adapt this work in interesting ways that will appeal to differing audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Sweeney Todd is a pretty good show; the music is one of the best I can think of for a musical of the last 40 years. Having said that, I probably won't go see this, as I am just not a prog metal fan.
    I'm not too big a fan of it myself. At least not the Dream Theater version, which smells rather strongly of their singer's last name. However, I do enjoy the Mr. Bungle + Sleepytime + Behold the Arctopus varieties, which I also consider prog-metal.

And as for Sweeney Todd, I agree with you. Some of Sondheim's other scores are pretty good as well: Company, which channels the late-Sixties pop of its sophisticated Manhattan milieu, particularly Burt Bacharach. And Assassins - his take on musical Americana, sounding a bit like evil Aaron Copland, if you can imagine such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was never a Twisted Sister fan, but I felt a bit bad for Dee Snider's stalled career, so I'm happy to say that this looks pretty cool, and he actually seems to be a good person to do it. I may actually look into the possibility of seeing this production.
    I don't think Snider is actually in it. The video was from a gig supporting a solo album of his, in which he apparently sang metal versions of Broadway material. Maybe he's trying to reinvent himself as a singing actor.

With that said, I think Nils Frykdahl would be a fantastic Sweeney. Too bad he lives on the wrong coast to be easily cast. Maybe someone'll mount a production of that version in SF one day....

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I do enjoy the Mr. Bungle + Sleepytime + Behold the Arctopus varieties, which I also consider prog-metal.
    I don't consider those bands 'prog metal' and I like them too. Maybe I don't consider them 'prog metal' because I like them. I dunno

AND I agree that Sondheim is a very talented cat. I have a lot of respect for him.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.