Thread: PF- (Burning Bridges/Mudmen)

PF- (Burning Bridges/Mudmen)

I always wondered by they just didn't combine it to make one tune. Maybe for the movie perhaps...Any thoughts...

I would imagine it was done that way for the scenes in the movie.

Two excellent tracks with plenty of input from Richard Wright. Anyone see this movie?

Never saw the film but I too assumed it was something to do with the narrative. I always found the album beautiful, these two songs in particular. 'Mudmen' has some really amazing playing from David Gilmour IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Two excellent tracks with plenty of input from Richard Wright. Anyone see this movie?
    Yeah I want to say I watched it on Netflix.. in French as I recall... confusing story line for me... There was some hype regarding additional song included with soundtrack but I didn't pick up on it...

My two favourite tracks from that album. I'm not sure they would sound better together, I like them the way they are.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    There was some hype regarding additional song included with soundtrack but I didn't pick up on it...
    I think you're confusing La Vallée (to which Obscured by Clouds is the soundtrack) with More. it's the latter that includes the unreleased "Seabirds," audible (barely) in this clip.

Saw the film back in the day. Not a great film to say the least, but some great music of course. These are probably my 2 favorites from the album, I think it works well to have them separate so that it is almost like a recurring theme. I guess Richard Wright wrote the music to Burning Bridges, with Waters on lyrics, and David Gilmour played a great solo to Richards music for Mudmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think you're confusing La Vallée (to which Obscured by Clouds is the soundtrack) with More. it's the latter that includes the unreleased "Seabirds," audible (barely) in this clip.

Thanks for link... In looking back through notes I've got for a multi disc Floyd release titled A Tree full of Secrets... For Obscured by Clouds.. they list a song not on the album "Instrumental".. it's been ages since I've listened to that particular disc so I'm clueless at this moment just what that track sounds like.. also.. since you bring More to the table for discussion.. they list an additional track not found on that album as well (mind you it's only 38 seconds) and they show Seabirds with a 3:50 length vs 56 seconds...

"La Vallee"

24 - Obscured by Clouds (Waters, Gilmour) 01:00

Recorded : France, Château d'Hérouville, 1972

Primary source : French radio broadcast, February 27, 1972

Source for the tree : unknown gen copy from French radio broadcast

Outtake from "Obscured By Clouds" recording sessions. One can hear some keyboard parts not appearing on the regular version.

25 - Free Four (Waters) - short version 03:30

Primary source : "Free Four" US promo single, released July 10, 1972

Source for the tree : "Free Four" US promo single

Early fade out.

26 - Free Four (Waters) - film version 02:08

Primary source : "La Vallee" film, released 1972

Source for the tree : 1st gen copy from "La Vallee" video

Directly from the film. This version has an extra verse.

27 - Instrumental (uncredited) 01:37

Primary source : "La Vallee" film, released 1972

Source for the tree : 1st gen copy from "La Vallee" video

Directly from the film. This short instrumental track was not included on the album.

"More"

13 - Main Theme (Waters, Wright, Gilmour) - film version 03:39

Recorded : London, Sound Techniques Studios, March 1969

Primary source : "More" film, released 1969

Source for the tree : "More" video

On the film, the slide guitar that can be heard on the regular version was edited out.

14 - Seabirds (Waters) 03:50

This song doesn't appear on the album.

15 - Cymbaline (Waters) - film version 05:18

This version has alternate lyrics, and the vocals are sung in a very different way than on the album ("head voice").

16 - Hollywood (Gilmour) 00:38

Short instrumental track, not included on the album.

CD10

1 - "More" outtakes 05:42

Primary source : BBC broadcast ("Laying Down Tracks"), June 1969

Source for the tree : unknown gen from BBC broadcast

This is in fact a documentary about the multi-track recording technique, broadcast by the BBC in June 1969, under the title "Laying Down Tracks". One can hear outtakes from the "More" recording sessions: first, some unreleased instrumental music, then "Cirrus Minor" and at last the keyboards intro to "Main Theme".

On some RoIOs, this BBC docmumentary is wrongly referred as being "The Committee" soundtrack.

"Seabirds" sounds like a faster version of "Point Me At The Sky". Wright's "waa-waa" organ sound in clearly evident.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I always wondered by they just didn't combine it to make one tune. Maybe for the movie perhaps...Any thoughts...
    Possibly for revenue purposes. Back in those days, rock groups got paid based on the number of songs were on a record. If you had fewer titles on your record, regardless of how long the individual tracks were, you got paid less. This is why the Grateful Dead listed That's It For The Other One as if it were a suite on the Anthem Of The Sun album, because by listing it four "movement" titles under the main title, they got paid as if it were four individual songs, instead of getting paid for just one. Robert Fripp has said this is also why the song titles are the way they are on the first three King Crimson album (eg "21st Century Schizoid Man, including Mirrors"). And I suspect this is why things like Tarkus itself, Close To The Edge itself, And You And I and Supper's Ready all have similar "movement" titles.

So perhaps this was a gambit by Pink Floyd (or their manager) to get a little more money out of the record company.

Speaking of Seabirds, apparently, at some point a song book came out that had the full song in it. Hence, someone (I've forgotten who) was able to do a cover the entire song.

Combined the first two tracks as one performance. When You're In begins at the fade with the snare triplet into the main riff. Sounds like a variation of the same track. I personally couldn't figure why they didn't do it like that on the album.

Rare footage from that period-

And-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Wow! I hadn't seen that '73 video. Thanks for posting.

Did you notice that during "Great gig…" Gilmour is at the keyboards?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Nice video of live footage.. don't believe I've ever seen that... assuming that was in included with DSOTM Immersion set?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Wow! I hadn't seen that '73 video. Thanks for posting.

Did you notice that during "Great gig…" Gilmour is at the keyboards?
    Yeah! Doesn't he play the organ in Pulse?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Combined the first two tracks as one performance. When You're In begins at the fade with the snare triplet into the main riff. Sounds like a variation of the same track. I personally couldn't figure why they didn't do it like that on the album.
    Hahaha! They did it that way live! My edit is EXACTLY done that way. LOL!

Is that a HUMBUCKER on Gilmour's Strat?

BigO just posted a 4 disc collection titled Games for May which includes Seabirds.. I thought I had this collection however don't seem to be able to find it.. guess I'll download it and check out a few of these rarities..