Thread: Question For Post Rock Fans

Question For Post Rock Fans

I mean this sincerely but can any of you tell the difference between one band and another by their sound? I find that so much of this music sounds exactly alike that it might as well be the same band performing all of it.
    Last edited by Splicer; 02-14-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Back in the 70's you always could. I went to ROSfest one year and listened to all the bands, if you had played me any of their material I honestly couldn't tell you who was who.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

to my ears, Explosions in the Sky, Pelican and Mono have their distinctive sounds. But I understand your question.

Tortoise and GYBE don't sound anything alike. I mean, there isn't a single part of any song by either band that could be mistaken for each other.

I think the same thing could be said about a lot of genres of music, including prog. The innovators in each genre will have a distinctive sound. The imitators, not so much. Post rock definitely does suffer from a lot of bands that sound alike, but the top-tier groups of the genre are worth investigating. I'm not real heavy into the scene, but groups like Explosions in the Sky, Don Caballero, Tortoise and Battles have all held my attention at one point or another.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

post-rock, per definition by music journalist simon reynolds, contains “using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes”. there is, hence, no rocknroll-ish riffola, no swagger and a denial of showboating, the flaunting of musical virtuosity and generally a workmanlike approach to music creating without utilising it for self-depiction. the rest is a wide-open field. you could go pastoral and symphonic as with MONO or SIGUR ROS, polyrhythmic with TORTOISE, VESSELS and BATTLES (bordering on math rock) or forever scaling the quiet/loud dynamics of MOGWAI. there is much more out there that i am not familiar with. if you come from flat-out prog rock you may try out the sadly extinct OCEANSiZE for smooth transition.

You'd might ask the very same given "interludes" from 37 different symph-progressive bands with vintage gear from any point during the tenure 1971-2014.

Main, A Silver Mt. Zion, LaBradford, Ulan Bator, The Sea & Cake, GY!BE, Sigur Rós, Isotope217 - there's the odd (albeit sometimes instrumentally seminal) common denominator, but no more than in most musics usually debated in here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    I think the same thing could be said about a lot of genres of music, including prog. The innovators in each genre will have a distinctive sound. The imitators, not so much. Post rock definitely does suffer from a lot of bands that sound alike, but the top-tier groups of the genre are worth investigating. I'm not real heavy into the scene, but groups like Explosions in the Sky, Don Caballero, Tortoise and Battles have all held my attention at one point or another.
    "Prog", I think, is an unusually non-heterogenous term referring to several approaches to the various aspects of structure in "rock"-based musical composition and creativity. Most progressive rock bands were never "symph", for instance - yet the average discourse in places like PE seems to rest on the logic that it was/is.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I mean this sincerely but can any of you tell the difference between one band and another by their sound?
    Sure can

Of course, there are some copycat type bands that have blurry distinctions at best, but...as some other folks noted, the same could be said of many genres, including some progressive stuff.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Thanks for the responses -- I'll certainly check out the bands that have been mentioned by some of you.

And thanks for not seeing the OP as a troll. I appreciate that.

While it is true that some of their own stuff songs similar, I have found no other Post Rock band that sounds like:
    God is an Astronaut
    And based on their instrumentation and style should be easy for a Prog-ster that is not into Post rock

Another fav of mine is: Bosch's with You

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I mean this sincerely but can any of you tell the difference between one band and another by their sound? I find that so much of this music sounds exactly alike that it might as well be the same band performing all of it.
    You've been listening to the wrong 'post-rock' bands. These three don't sound anything like each other:

I assume most of what you have been listening to was inspired by Mogwai - the lullabies-on-electric-guitar that turn into wall-of-distortion crescendos.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Back in the 70's you always could. I went to ROSfest one year and listened to all the bands, if you had played me any of their material I honestly couldn't tell you who was who.
    Post rock wasn't around in the seventies though. It's a genre that started in the 90's.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)