Thread: Prog magazine-promises more Rutherford/Genesis revelations?

Prog magazine-promises more Rutherford/Genesis revelations?

Might be better reading than his book?

Home > News > Prog 43 – New Issue On Sale!
    Prog 43 – New Issue On Sale!
    Comments 0 jerryewing at 11:55am February 12 2014

Prog 43 is on sale today, featuring Genesis guitarist/bassist Mike Rutherford on the cover.

As Mike releases his autobiography The Living Years, the first from a member of Genesis (as well as celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Mike & The Mechanics album of the same name), we talk to him about some of the amazing revelations about both the band and himself, unearthing a whole new, hitherto unseen side of the band. Plus we catch up with Tony Banks and both he, Mike, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel talk about those never ending reunion rumours.

Also in Prog 43…

Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas – how two eccentric legends combined to crate otherworldy soundscapes.

William Shatner – Boldy “pushing the imagination to the limit…” Captain Kirk joins the prog elite.

Rush – “It was an unsettling time” declares Alex Lifeson of the band’s 1982 album Signals – the album where the synths really took over!

Within Temptation – Metal! Prog! Hip-hop! Dutch masters give borth to Hydra, a brand new monster.

Cynic – “We got into prog and jazz and we never looked back.” One band’s fight back from the brink of death (metal)!

Anette Olzon – “I’ve paid my dues!” Ex-Nightwish singer defends her reputation and sheds light on being fired from the band.

Airbag – “Diversity makes the Airbag sound!” That and 18 months in an Oslo studio…

Clannad – “We loved Jethro Tull and jazz rock.” They’re one of Ireland’s most successful bands, but what we want to know is how prog are Clannad?

Edison’s Children – Marillion man Pete and pal Eric are back for round two. It’s going to get epic!

Panic Room – Are the band moving away from prog? We catchup with them – in a castle in Wales!

Vienna Circle – “We tried to be perfect. it got out of hand!” Vrit prog brothers take the pretty route.

Bigelf – The fabulous Mr. Fox an friends face down adversity and return triumphant!

Synaesthesia – Welcome to Prog Readers Tip For 2014. How will they fare this year then?

Gandalf’s Fist – ‘Get pissed with the Fist’? The Cumbrian duo do it with a smile on their faces.

Geoff Downes – spills the beans on the new Yes album Cruise and UK tour.

BJ Cole – Life with Ayes, Gilmour and Scott Walker. The lap steel player par excellence gets a prog grilling.

Reviewed: Mike Oldfield, The Crimson ProjeKCt, Cynic, Edison’s Children, Hammill & Lucas, Pat Metheney, Sunn O))) & Ulver, Herbie Hancock, Brand X, Holger Czukay, Steve Hackett and more…

Lives: Trans -Siberian Orchestra, Steeleye Span, Wisdom Of Crowds, IQ, Steve Hogarth, Pallas, Nektar, Judy Dyble and more…

Plus… Over an hour of exciting new prog sounds on CD with exclusive new music from Bigelf plus Synaesthsia, The Dream Electric Sleep, Hammill & Lucas, Twinscapes, Freedom To Glide and more. Plus regular columnists Steve Davis and Rick Wakeman…

Get it now at myfavouritemagazines.co.uk and on every digital device.

Enquiring minds want to know! lol
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Shouldn't Prog 43 be solely dedicated to Jethro Tull !?!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Prog magazine
    Clannad – “We loved Jethro Tull and jazz rock.” They’re one of Ireland’s most successful bands, but what we want to know is how prog are Clannad?
    Pretty proggy in places, but it had as much to do with the complexities of traditional Irish music as it did Jethro Tull. To me some of their early 90s music is very proggy in a Solstice sort of way. I love it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I found the comment Rutherford made about that they should have found a writer when Phil left instead of Ray Wilson quite funny. They should have signed David Longdon then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prog
    Plus we catch up with Tony Banks and both he, Mike, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel talk about those never ending reunion rumours.
    Interesting use of the word "both" here...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    I found the comment Rutherford made about that they should have found a writer when Phil left instead of Ray Wilson quite funny. They should have signed David Longdon then!!
    Or Nick D'Virgilio.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Pretty proggy in places, but it had as much to do with the complexities of traditional Irish music as it did Jethro Tull. To me some of their early 90s music is very proggy in a Solstice sort of way. I love it.
    Great to see an article on Clannad. I just saw them last Friday in Harrisburg, Pa. They were excellent. I was also able to pick up their new cd, I think that they said it is their first in 15 years. Maire's vocals were amazing. Simply beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Great to see an article on Clannad. I just saw them last Friday in Harrisburg, Pa. They were excellent. I was also able to pick up their new cd, I think that they said it is their first in 15 years. Maire's vocals were amazing. Simply beautiful.
    First in 16 years and first with Pol Brennan back in the group since 1990's Anam. I don't have it yet, but what I've heard makes me think it's a return to their traditional acoustic style.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This issue arrived in my mailbox today, looks like a good one. However, I sure wish they'd stop making that prog quiz on the back page so incredibly easy. Half of it is dedicated to the artist being questioned, which they rarely get wrong, and the second half is fairly middle-of-the-road, simple prog 101 stuff (Name five sections of "Suppers Ready")... it used to be fan-submitted questions only, and those were fun (I may be biased as my question to Fish was featured as the very first question when the quizzes began!)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***