Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog Song Covers

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Not better than the original, but interestingly different.
    The traditional point of a cover version, unless you're playing to a dancing crowd as a swingband, that is, is usually to adapt the song - thus to "make it your own" or present an interpretation. I have to say that I don't hear ANY of this in those Magna Carta "covers" anthologies. Transatlantic's take on Procol's "In Held 'Twas in I" is arguably the single worst and most embarrassing attempt at a "cover" I've ever been so unfortunate to stumble across.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Manfred Mann did a number of covers throughout his career, some of which might be considered prog or at least proggy. Of course Blinded by the Light and also For You (another Springsteen), Quinn the Eskimo (Dylan), and even Dont Let It Bring You Down (Neil Young). He has other covers, but these might be considered prog-renditions (the live version of Quinn, not the studio).

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ I just heard the cover of Follow You Follow me, and it's rather good. Not better than the original, but interestingly different.
    Very nice indeed.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I thought Fish did a nice job with his "Songs From The Mirror" album from the early 90s. I particularly like "Question" and "Fearless".

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Proggy version of The Battle of Evermore by Led Zep

Paul Gilbert's version of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Death Organ's version of "Tom Sawyer"
    Chad

^

Deathorgan were a damn good band and always great fun.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Transatlantic's take on Procol's "In Held 'Twas in I" is arguably the single worst and most embarrassing attempt at a "cover" I've ever been so unfortunate to stumble across.
    The best thing about that I could say was that it acknowledged Procol Harum's importance (and that song in particular), a band seen by some as a one hit wonder.

But they took out the 'quirky' bits (specifically the entire 'Twas Teatime At The Circus' section) and 'slicked it up'...something I find a drawback with this type of prog generally.

Sabbath Iron Man cover

Hey everyone This is my very humble little cover of King Crimson's Larks tongue in Aspic part 1. Had been wanting to learn it for years and finally sat down to figure it out

Well, we've had Jeff Buckley's version and Kevin Gilbert's, so let's complete the set with Tony Levin.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    Proggy version of The Battle of Evermore by Led Zep

How about that -- it's not a bad song. I was never able to tell before through Plant's hideous vocals (but God bless Sandy Denny).

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Well, we've had Jeff Buckley's version and Kevin Gilbert's, so let's complete the set with Tony Levin.

Not surprising, he played it on Gabriel's second solo tour...

Who's that singing? TLev himself?

Quote Originally Posted by petestorz View Post
    Hey everyone This is my very humble little cover of King Crimson's Larks tongue in Aspic part 1. Had been wanting to learn it for years and finally sat down to figure it out

Excellent!!

Thank you very much I have tabs of my transcription for anyone who's interested

[QUOTE=jamesmanzi;461581]Well, we've had Jeff Buckley's version and Kevin Gilbert's, so let's complete the set with Tony Levin.

Actually I'd prefer that Tony didn't cover this...the other 3 musicians who have (Kevin Gilbert, Jeff Buckley, and Shaun Guerin), all died untimely deaths. Although I suppose Tony is old enough to have missed the curse

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    My favorite cover is still Stanley Snail's (Kevin Gilbert, Mike Keneally, Bryan Beller and Nick D'Virgilio) version of Siberian Khatru from the Tales From Yeeterday album.
    Yeah! Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Death Organ's version of "Tom Sawyer"
    Dude...that is such a twisted cover...I forgot that even existed. I have that disc in a box somewhere.

And one of the coolest, and forgotten, is Hoyry Kone's cover of "The Trooper":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBt7DjhyHe4

Brett, Paul and Ray of echolyn did a really nice version of Giant's 'Aspirations' on their 'Always Almost' disc, with Pat Strawser from Volare on keys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OadUQy_ubI0

And then there is this...NOT a good cover....be warned, you won't be able to 'unhear' it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njJRAB9HGw

Sorry...coming up with more.

Lest one doubt Maiden's prog credentials there is their quite obscure Nektar cover (which gave me HUGE respect from my older metal brother back in the day):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFBGQIEv0SI

...and of course they had to take a stab at 'Hocus Pocus":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPGL-g--gkQ

Those who have yet to experience the music prodigy Rachel flowers will drop there jaws in awe when they listen to these three tracks. And yes, she plays ALL of the instruments. This young blind woman's talent is otherwordly. She also has some ELP covers on Youtube. Wow, I mean it!

https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers...le-giant-cover

https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers...-crimson-cover

https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers...-crimson-cover
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Finnish folk singer Carita Holmström did a version of Yes’ “Time and a Word.”

And then there’s this unlikely cover version:

And this one (from the Mothra girls!):

And this one (original by Il Volo, the Radius/Lavezzi one, not the boy band):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I came across this the other day:

By the way, now that Steven Wilson is so prominent in the world of prog, I have yet to discover any covers of songs from his Porcupine Tree years. Has anyone come across any?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar