Thread: Recommend Some Gershwin

Recommend Some Gershwin

I just read an article about George Gershwin and it occurred to me to wonder if there is a more definitive collection than the one Bernstein compilation I have. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Gershwin/Ravel piano concertos on Sony
    Herbie Hancock-Gershwin's World A very interesting take on some Gershwin compositions and songs w/ quest vocalists Joni Mitchell, Kathleen Battle, Stevie Wonder.

Also check out the Three Preludes. These are some very famous short pieces that have been recorded in a myriad of different configurations.

Forgot to mention Porgy and Bess by Miles Davis.

"An American In Paris" I've always really enjoyed.

Agree with Reid on both the Herbie and Miles recordings as well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Is it just me or would anyone else say that Synergy (Larry Fast) - New York Suite is rather Gershwin inspired ? Nice CD anyway.

Arturo Toscanini's recording of An American In Paris. Also Gershwin's own piano recordings of his own music.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Today's birthday boy (Happy 64th!) singing Gershwin:

"Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Always enjoyed the soundtrack to Woody Allen's "Manhattan". All Gershwin. My favorite version of "Rhapsody In Blue".

The first time I heard Rhapsody in Blue it had Oscar Levant on piano. I don't remember what orchestra played it but to me that is the definitive version.

Can't go wrong with Bernstein, but this Fiedler disc is what I pick most often for a Gershwin fix:

http://www.amazon.com/Gershwin-Rhaps...+concerto+in+f

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Here's a nice medley I'll be singing with my chorus, Makhela, on Sunday at Amherst College.

http://www.penders.com/product_info....ts_id=23978151

Kathleen Battle does the best Summertime in my opinion. So there are two recommendations for you. KB-Summertime, and as I mentioned above, Oscar Levant-RiB.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Gershwin: Salami, turkey, corned beef, cole slaw, swiss cheese, russian dressing on pumpernickel.

Here are a few I consider essential:

Jazz Gershwin on Columbia Records - dirt cheap on Amazon

Gershwin Rhapsodies - CBS Masterworks w/Michael Tilson Thomas; after Levant, one of my favorites; also dirt cheap on Amazon

Complete Gershwin - St Louis Symphony w/Leonard Slatkin conducting - 2 disc of his symphonic work; released on VoxBox; last time I checked was very cheap on Amazon as well

The Living Stereo release is also quite good; later tonight I'll be headphoning Steinberg/Pittsburgh Symphony version of American in Paris (vintage recording on the Everest label).

Check out the American in Paris blu-ray - yes, the title track is a stunning visualization from Gene Kelly but seeing Levant in action on Concerto in F is jaw dropping.

Peter

Herbie Hancock-Gershwin's World A very interesting take on some Gershwin compositions and songs w/ quest vocalists Joni Mitchell, Kathleen Battle, Stevie Wonder.
    Mitchell and Wonder

This recording also includes Corea, Garrett, Carter, Shorter, plus a host of others. And if you like his covers of Gershwin, check out Hancock's New Standards. He brought this show and his trio (w/Holland and DeJohnette) to the Caravan of Dreams in Ft. Worth, TX in 1995. His performance was far from standard!

I used to play this often when it was released 20+ years ago and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but , Dave Gruisin's The Gershwin Connection is really a treat. It shows that DG is quite a piano player. Very enjoyable and quite different than what I usually listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Another vote for the Hancock release - this is a great listen.

Ella Fitzgerald's complete Gershwin Songbook.

Forget the newbies and classical cross-overs - this is the Holy Grail.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?