Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GENESIS - SNOWBOUND

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Since Hackett is running out of material for another Genesis Revisited, wouldn't it make sense for him to tackle some songs after he'd left Genesis and show how things might have sounded had he stayed. This would be a perfect song for such an experiment. --Peter (who had to ditch his car 1/2 mile from home yesterday, but at least it's in the neighborhood and not on a public road)
    Great idea, but oh so cruel.

I'm wondering if Phil, Tony and Mike would actually give him the rights to do it, to be honest.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Since Hackett is running out of material for another Genesis Revisited, wouldn't it make sense for him to tackle some songs after he'd left Genesis and show how things might have sounded had he stayed. This would be a perfect song for such an experiment. --Peter (who had to ditch his car 1/2 mile from home yesterday, but at least it's in the neighborhood and not on a public road)
    I seem to recall reading something on here of him doing just that.

Now that Mike has revealed in his book that he was a cokehead, perhaps "Snowbound" has a completely different meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Now that Mike has revealed in his book that he was a cokehead, perhaps "Snowbound" has a completely different meaning.
    Low "blow."

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Low "blow."
    *snort*

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I think it is good but not great. The song would benefit hugely by an instrumental passage-something heartwrenching like that in 'Ripples'. The saving grace for me is the 3 Banks tunes, Burning Rope, Lady Lies and Undertow (which also mentions snow, of course). Still there is a strong mood to much of this album, even in tracks like Ballad of Big. But pastoral instrumental breaks throughout this album would have made it great.
    That's what I found most disheartening back then.... There is almost none of those in the album, outside one (and not even strong) in Motherlode...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's what I found most disheartening back then.... There is almost none of those in the album, outside one (and not even strong) in Motherlode...
    This period is a bit confusing.. on one hand you have Phil on record as saying he assumed that after Peter left they would end up being an all instrumental band... then by ATTWT period all three of them have stated that they purposely tried to pare down the instrumentals or as Tony said "be a bit more concise"... Phil and Mike I'm sure asked him to say what he needed to say in 3 minutes vs. 5+.. This obviously was the beginning of what turned out to be the new Genesis writing style adopted on Abacab and subsequent albums after that... Personally I didn't have a problem with this... what would have been nice is had they "extended" those songs in concert.. with instrumental passages... there are plenty of spots where they could have taken the instrumentals to some very interesting areas... lots of good songs on that album.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjI93COgJ1M
    Last edited by happytheman; 02-14-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    This period is a bit confusing.. on one hand you have Phil on record as saying he assumed that after Peter left they would end up being an all instrumental band... then by ATTWT period all three of them have stated that they purposely tried to pare down the instrumentals or as Tony said "be a bit more concise"...
    Yeah, but a lot changed in the music industry between 1975 and 1978.

Even though I don't necessarily like the direction they went in (though I do like the Abacab album), Genesis quite rightly are the one example of a 70s prog band that successfully adapted and even thrived in the 80s (I don't count Yes because IMO 90125 was a fluke.) They obviously had a very keen sense for how they needed to evolve in order to succeed in the new era. ATTWT was the start of that evolution.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Genesis quite rightly are the one example of a 70s prog band that successfully adapted and even thrived in the 80s

ATTWT is one of few Genesis albums that doesn't really have a big epic track (on the later ones, you have 'Duke's Travels', 'Dodo/Lurker', 'Home By The Sea', 'Domino', 'Driving The Last Spike', 'Fading Lights'). I think 'Burning Rope' is closest....would have been nice to ditch one of the lesser songs on the album and develop one of the other songs more.

I've always felt, however, it still towers over other 1978 albums like 'Love Beach' and 'Tormato' which are very confused IMHO. I think ATTWT is at least a consistent album in terms of its approach and sound, unlike those two.

Great idea, but oh so cruel.

I'm wondering if Phil, Tony and Mike would actually give him the rights to do it, to be honest.
    I think it's a fun idea but maybe not one to pursue further. Steve, quite rightly, is recording a properly new album at the moment.

I always skipped that song. I just listened now and it's not as bad as I remembered, though I'll probably still skip it next time I listen to that album. But don't mind me; this is coming from a guy who likes "Scenes From a Night's Dream."

^'...Night's Dream' comes in the same category as 'Another Record' for me...great intro, average song. And the conclusion of 'Night's Dream' is one of the weakest things they ever did IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Right. Well 'Burning Rope' has a great instrumental passage, but that's it for me. And then 'Lady Lies' and 'Down and Out' have brief synth solos.

Live, they did extend the outro of 'Say Its Alright Joe', which had they done that on album would have been a highlight. It was really nice, a lot of potential to that outro, a bit like the intro to 'Duchess'.

ATTWT should be a great album, but alas it is not. The songs just fall a tad short of greatness.

I'm probably going to catch some brickbats for this, but if bands like Marillion wrote songs like Burning Rope, or Undertow, or Motherload or Many 2, their fans would rank those among the top in their catalog. But for Genesis, they are second or third tier (Suppers and Cinema Show and several other being first tier).

Some very good songs on this disc, but not up to snuff for Genesis.

Very beautiful song - one of my favs on ATTWT. "Uncertain Weather" from CAS actually reminds me a bit of this style - that was a good one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Genesis quite rightly are the one example of a 70s prog band that successfully adapted and even thrived in the 80s
    In terms of sales Genesis outdid Crimson hundredfolds in the 80's

Artistically i's another ballgame
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Terrible song from a terrible album. At least Tormata is 2/3 good. This is just ATTWTripe!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Terrible song from a terrible album. At least Tormata is 2/3 good. This is just ATTWTripe!
    Let me guess. Phil Collins made this album terrible.

Like much of this album, this song has so much potential, but doesn't quite make it. Love the verses and the basic "dead body hidden in the snowman" idea, but the chorus is really weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    At least Tormata is 2/3 good.
    I can only assume Tormata is some sort of bootleg version of Tormato where "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" takes up 2/3 of the album?

I think ATTWT is perhaps Phil's best vocal performance. With the prior two albums, he was still learning the ropes of how to be a lead singer. His voice is stronger by 1978 and he's learned a lot. Still not a big star, his ego is not out of control yet.

In later albums, he turned into "Phil the Attention Whore" with a yelling-singing style.

His drumming is great too. I like his drum fills (Phils?) on the laid back numbers like Undertow and Snowbound.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I think ATTWT is perhaps Phil's best vocal performance. With the prior two albums, he was still learning the ropes of how to be a lead singer. His voice is stronger by 1978 and he's learned a lot. Still not a big star, his ego is not out of control yet.
    I agree that Phil had not become the Big Star yet, but neither had he really matured as a singer either. Duke is where he really arrived as a singer, IMO.

Banned
    In 77 I moved from NC to the north side of the Baltimore area. That winter had one of the biggest snow storms I had ever been in. However even with the smaller snow falls, riding around the Loch Raven reservoir with the snow sticking to the huge spruce trees, and listening to this song, is memory I'll have forever. Such a beautiful sight. Saw them that summer of 78 at the Merriweather Post Pavilion. Also in 77 PG1 was released and the last 3 songs come to mind when I think of that year:

Waiting for the Big One
    Down the Dolce Vita
    Here Comes the Flood

Since Hackett is running out of material for another Genesis Revisited, wouldn't it make sense for him to tackle some songs after he'd left Genesis and show how things might have sounded had he stayed. This would be a perfect song for such an experiment.
    I hope not. I'd rather Steve get back to doing his own stuff again.