Thread: Tomahawk - Anonymous

chalkpie

Tomahawk - Anonymous

Never heard this before but Patton can seem to do no wrong. Whatever he does he goes balls out. So great, never heard any music like this before. Super complex in pretty much all aspects. His voice is so versatile - love the Native American vox!

The one Tomahawk I don't have. Not sure why I never picked it up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    A fan!

Is this band that obscure or do people generally not give three shits about them?

This is some bad-ass stuff.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Oddly enough, it's the only album of theirs I do have.

As for the thread...I must have missed this super complexness when I was listening because that's never a way I would have described this album. That said, I do enjoy it. The native American influence is not something that seems to pop up often and it's well used. I like the atmosphere this creates, but admit I don't listen to it all that often.

A revisit soon is required.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

My least favorite out of the 4 albums.

I'm not saying it's a bad album. I just prefer Tomahawk when they rawk a bit more.

Adding Trevor Dunn for the last album was a good move (adding Trevor Dunn to every band is a good move). Too bad the last album is a tad phoned in. Still good, but it just seems like the burst of creativity evident on the first two has waned. Mit Gas is their best.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is this band that obscure or do people generally not give three shits about them?
    "Progressive rock" at large (i.e. not inwards looking but creative on more or less first principle) is usually rather obscure with the self-proclaimed "prog fanbase" - and that's a fact. Patton's main occupation for the past decade, Fantõmas, is one of the best examples of that very point.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 02-13-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think this is the one I have. Is it primarily Native American inspired sounds? (That's how often I have spun it).
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I think this is the one I have. Is it primarily Native American inspired sounds? (That's how often I have spun it).
    It's a great concept. From Wiki:

Anonymous was recorded after the departure of Tomahawk's bass player Kevin Rutmanis, leaving a lineup composed of Mike Patton, Duane Denison and John Stanier. Denison and Stanier recorded their musical parts for the album in Nashville, Tennessee, before sending them to Patton in San Francisco to add vocal parts and samples; the resulting album was a mix of live studio recordings and overdubbed sounds.[1][2] Due to the absence of Rutmanis, both Denison and Patton recorded bass tracks for the album. Patton's former Mr. Bungle bandmate Trevor Dunn became the band's bass player in 2012.[2]
    The songs on Anonymous are based on Native American compositions, which Denison had researched while touring Indian reservations with musician Hank Williams III.[3] During that tour, Denison had been listening to Native American rock groups and was disappointed "at how normal they sounded", having expected to hear music that was "more aggressive, spookier and more kinetic" than the Southern rock and country rock he had heard.[4] Denison found transcriptions of traditional music, and based his work for the album on these—the title Anonymous is a reference to the uncredited composers of this source material.[5] The original compositions were mostly written with one melody line—often for a nose flute—with a simple accompaniment such as hand clapping. As a result, Denison has said the group "took a lot of liberties, and filled in a lot of space", leaving much of the album newly composed around these simple frameworks.[4] Denison has called Anonymous a "kind of a detour" from Tomahawk's usual sound, and described it as a concept album.[2]

Let me give it a more thorough listen. A work colleague made me listen to this band and what I heard was a harder, edgier sound. More akin to grunge or the likes of Tool than what I heard on this disc. I basically set it aside and it got lost in the shuffle (literally!)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Let me give it a more thorough listen. A work colleague made me listen to this band and what I heard was a harder, edgier sound. More akin to grunge or the likes of Tool than what I heard on this disc. I basically set it aside and it got lost in the shuffle (literally!)
    Funny - it's the only record I've heard by these lunatics so far, so I have no reference point. But I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Funny - it's the only record I've heard by these lunatics so far, so I have no reference point. But I dig it.

chalkpie
    Thanks - they're on Spot too.