Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transatlatic concert review: Keswick Theater

Transatlatic concert review: Keswick Theater

I'll start by saying I'm really not the biggest Transatlantic fan around. Like them, but never considered them more than a little side project of it's members. Then I saw them last night as they blew the roof off a nearly packed Keswick, over 1,000 fans there would likely agree. OK, getting ahead of myself. When TA formed back in 99, I was already a DT fanatic, excited about another side project of my favorite band's drummer. To hear he would work with Morse, Stolt and Trewavas was a shock. I had only discovered Spock's Beard and Flower Kings a couple years earlier, but already was a big fan. Add to that a Marillion member? But this was a quick project, written and recorded in a couple weeks. My excitement waned until hearing it, and it did turn out to be a nice retro prog album. But that was all it was, I still preferred their main bands or their "real" jobs. Saw their rather sloppy but fun show at Nearfest in 2000. Then "Bridge Across Forever" came out, I actually liked this one more. A bit long winded in spots, so not a classic, but songs like Duel With the Devil" and "Stranger in Your Soul" filled a prog itch for sure. Got the DVD too, a better performance than from NF. And that was that. Morse leaves to do his Christian thing and TA became just another project to come and go. Many years go by, and surprisingly Morse agrees to do another. Bought it, was kind of bored by much of it. Of well, nice little project, I'm done with it.

So this past year I hear a new album is coming, not sure I even care. Before a brilliant Hackett show in October, a see a sign announcing a TA show. So I think, why the heck not, it's close by and these guys can still really play, and hell, no more Portnoy in DT, always found him entertaining. So many TA fans, and this always amazed me, they were hardcore fans treating them like a full time, real group, they were all so excited. Annoying fanboys to me. I watched the "Shine" video, I think I liked it more than many fans. Still, my interest just isn't great. So I never did get the album. I figured I might if they had it at the show. They didn't. The closer it got to the show though, I was starting to get psyched. It's like my very own soul knew there was a reason to go. My brain wasn't quite there. And somehow the awful northeast weather held out.

So we get there and they move us to the 2nd row -just love this place, 1st row for Hackett, 2nd for TA, not shabby. We are on the left or the side of Neal Morse, Stolt just a few feet away. They start playing and it's pretty loud, but still clear sounding. I don't recognize the music, it's something new, and what do you know, I really like it! The band are a tight unit, so much more than that old NF show, they actually sound like a real band. Hell, the replacement 5th member Ted Leonard fits like a glove. I'm a huge Leonard fan thanks to his work with Enchant, Thought Chamber and Affector. And it's ironic that he currently fills Neal Morse's old role in Spock's Beard. I knew he played some guitar, but here he had to play a lot, and added some keys and percussion. He was one very busy guy. He even got called to the front of the stage to sing lead. Funny moment, as he nearly didn't make it there on time, literally running to the front, mike in hand. His lead or co-lead vocals were few, but still enough for people to notice what serious pipes he has. One of my favorite vocalists, he didn't disappoint. A shame about Gildenlow, but a nice break for the under-appreciated Leonard.

Highlight # 1. "My New World" from the debut. Portnoy pointed out it was written 15 years ago, hard to believe. So he proves it, bringing out his now 14 year old son, who was an infant at the time of the Nearfest gig. My favorite song from this, very melodic and not as long winded as other epics of theirs.

Highlight # 2. A truncated version of "Whirlwind". Guess the editing helped, or maybe I just need to re-visit this album. Sounded great, really an improvement to my ears. And there is that one really frantic section where Portnoy is going totally nuts, and each member is keeping up with him! There are some lightning fast starts and stops, and the band is so tight here. Not thought of as a chop fest kind of group, but maybe that assessment is wrong. At least last night they could play with anyone. For a moment, it felt like Portnoy was back with his old band, even if less metallic. A side project just doesn't play like this. No, they play like TA did in 2000.

The band did manage a couple "little" songs, and I quite enjoyed them. First was the new one, "Shine", a pretty ballad with a real nice Stolt guitar solo. Some fans hate this, not me. It's a nice break from the epic mayhem. Sometimes pretty is good. The other little song was also a ballad, but from the first album, "We All Need Some Light". I'm not a huge fan of this, but was surprised how good this sounded, plus was fun to sing along to. Got into this one far more than I expected.

Highlight #3. The new epic or "the big one" as Portnoy called it. It's grand, it's epic and bloated and full of the things prog bashers hate. And I thought I just wasn't into their brand of epics, at least not to the level of fanboys. Guess I'm a convert, this piece wowed me for sure. I hope the studio version is as electric as this.

Highlight # 4. Ending the show with "Stranger In Your Soul". This was also truncated a bit, and didn't come off as long winded at all, and a fitting conclusion. Stolt was a monster on this, in fact he was on fire most of the night. I have a minor quibble, as I think his vocals were not high enough in the mix. As to the shared vocals of the night, well it's a TA trademark and always has been. So Pete and Mike don't have great lead voices, it still works in this setting. And having someone as skilled as Leonard backing them up doesn't hurt. More importantly, they seem to enjoy singing with them. In fact they all just seemed to have a blast on stage. Feeding off a large, adoring crowd doesn't hurt either.

As to Morse, I think his keyboard work has risen to a new level thanks to his solo albums of the past several years. I can tolerate the born-again themes, and that allows me to really enjoy his stellar keys work. And it shows now with TA, especially live. And he has some of the best keyboard lead sounds in the business, lots of big, fat synth patches that cut trough a wall of sound without a problem. Which is good, or Portnoy would drown him out. I've never thought of Portnoy as a real pounding drummer, in fact for a metal guy, he generally has a light touch. But it seems with TA he goes for a different vibe, I've never seem him pound the drums with such ferocity. Maybe not playing as technical or precise music allows this. I didn't forget Pete on bass. Even in 2000, I noticed how much better a player he is than I had thought when listening to Marillion. It's just that they go for more an emotional feel, TA music is just so much more flashy and uptempo.

So the show ends, and I can't help but feel like I want them to keep on playing. I was hungry for more despite the 2 hour plus performance. Isn't that the sign of a great concert, you just don't want it to end? Heck, "Duel With the Devil" isn't really that long, is it? Wishful thinking. Seriously though, I just felt so satisfied, I got every pennies worth of the 58 dollar price tag and then some. More than just experiencing a great concert, I've come away far more appreciative of their music than I was. Those fanboys that annoyed me a bit, I may be joining them, at the very least I'm a much bigger fan now than I was just 24 hours ago. Thanks guys, I needed that during this otherwise dreary winter.
    Last edited by Yanks2014; 02-09-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Nice review. I was a big fan of the first two TA albums when they came out, but The Whirlwind didn't do much for me on release. Hearing all this material come alive in concert--the new songs, in particular--was a revelation. I don't normally buy that many concert DVDs, but I'd definitely pick one up from this tour if they're going to record one (which seems pretty certain, based on their history).

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Hearing all this material come alive in concert--the new songs, in particular--was a revelation.
    Wish I had said that in my review!

Nice review, so glad these guys are still at it making albums and doing live shows.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Since you skipped the Whirwind tour maybe you should get the concert DVD from the tour or the one NM has called Once is Never Enough that was recorded in London. They played 3.5 hours on that tour and played all of 4 Epics up to the Whirwind in their entirety; All of the Above, Duel with the Devil, Stranger in Your Soul, The Whirlwind plus Bridge Across Forever and We All need Some Light. I thought this show was really well done (saw the first show in LA last Friday) but it was hard to match the last tour just for the enormity of it all still a very satisfying concert. They all have said the new material made them feel like this was a band now not a project, so there is something to your perception.

*Bump*

Seeing Ted Leonard actively participating made me appreciate how great he is on the new Spocks Beard!

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Since you skipped the Whirwind tour maybe you should get the concert DVD from the tour or the one NM has called Once is Never Enough that was recorded in London. They played 3.5 hours on that tour and played all of 4 Epics up to the Whirwind in their entirety; All of the Above, Duel with the Devil, Stranger in Your Soul, The Whirlwind plus Bridge Across Forever and We All need Some Light. I thought this show was really well done (saw the first show in LA last Friday) but it was hard to match the last tour just for the enormity of it all still a very satisfying concert. They all have said the new material made them feel like this was a band now not a project, so there is something to your perception.
    I bought the first DVD that came out from that tour. On the "Once is Never Enough" DVD, does Neal take over on drums while Mike stage dives into the audience and get carried around the arena, as they do on the first DVD?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I bought the first DVD that came out from that tour. On the "Once is Never Enough" DVD, does Neal take over on drums while Mike stage dives into the audience and get carried around the arena, as they do on the first DVD?
    I want to say yes but I will have to go back and look. I know Neal does take over the drums, they did that on every show I believe, I just don't remember if Mike did the stage dive. Off hand do you remember what song they did this in?

Stranger in Your Soul

Your teview has certainly wetted my appetite for the London gig
    Both the Whirlwind album & tour where awesome!

Was at the same show and told some friends I thought Roine's solo in "Stranger in your Soul" was just plain epic! The perfect to a great night of music.

A small quibble: it's More is Never Enough, not Once.....

Sadly had to miss the Montreal show as I was on vacation in Florida...had originally planned to interview everyone in the band, round table style, as part of the live review. Ah well, next time.....

I was at this show as well, and generally enjoyed it, but I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with the set list. For starters, I was not overly impressed with the new album. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I think it relies too heavily on the formulas used on previous Transatlantic albums, and there are not as many great melodies on it as on previous efforts. Secondly, I had a hard time with the way epics from the earlier albums were edited. I can understand the necessity of editing "The Whirlwind" due to time constraints, but I really wish they had just played "Stranger in Your Soul" in its entirety rather than combining it with "All of the Above". "Bridge across Forever", which is my favorite Transatlantic was grossly underrepresented.

That said, I was very happy to hear "My New World", and I really enjoyed the version of "We All need Some Light" with Neal and Ted Leonard sharing the lead vocals. The edited "Whirlwind", "All of the Above", and "Stranger in your Soul" were excellent, but they left me wanting more.

[QUOTE=MicrowaveBrain;220204 I really wish they had just played "Stranger in Your Soul" in its entirety rather than combining it with "All of the Above". "Bridge across Forever", which is my favorite Transatlantic was grossly underrepresented.[/QUOTE]

Yes, most certainly the album that got the 'axe' from the set the most in order to make room for the new material. I can only assume it's because they played the majority of it the last time around (2010).. both epics (including an even longer "Stranger" with the Neal drum section) as well as a lovely version of the title track with Roine joining in.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was at this show as well. Kaleidoscope is definitely my least favorite TA album, but seeing it live made me appreciate it quite a bit more than I expected! I think the title track is probably one of their best songs after seeing it live, whereas seeing Into The Blue live really made me realize just how repetitive and drawn out it really is. Probably their weakest epic so far. My New World was an absolute highlight and one I'm glad they did! They should've thrown Charlotte Pike in there to better represent BAF and just ended with SIYS in its entirety rather than butcher AOTA.

Overall, it was a great show and I didn't really expect to enjoy myself as much as I did! Even my girlfriend, who I dragged along and is only into girly pop music, had a good time which is all that matters at a live show.

By the way, does anyone else think Portnoy is getting super-annoying on stage nowadays? I used to idolize this guy, but it seemed like every time there was a section without drums he'd walk off stage for some reason. Not to mention all the silly shit he's doing with standing up. I'd kind of just like to see him be a drummer again and not have to resort to making himself the center of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    By the way, does anyone else think Portnoy is getting super-annoying on stage nowadays? I used to idolize this guy, but it seemed like every time there was a section without drums he'd walk off stage for some reason. Not to mention all the silly shit he's doing with standing up. I'd kind of just like to see him be a drummer again and not have to resort to making himself the center of attention.
    I didn't get that vibe at all. Looked to me like he was having a blast. I've seen him play live a good 20 times over the years with DT, TA, LTE and with Petrucci at G3, and don't see him acting all that differently. If you are growing tired of his antics, I can understand. But really, I just care about his playing, which was pretty great at the TA show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I didn't get that vibe at all. Looked to me like he was having a blast. I've seen him play live a good 20 times over the years with DT, TA, LTE and with Petrucci at G3, and don't see him acting all that differently. If you are growing tired of his antics, I can understand. But really, I just care about his playing, which was pretty great at the TA show.
    Agree, love the live vibe of seeing musicians enjoy themselves!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Ditto. One of the tightest shows ever. I wasn't a fan of the Whirlwind album either. This concert really makes that album 'shine"

Just before "Stranger in your soul" I moved to the back of the Keswick where it was less loud and could get a different perspective and see the band as a whole. I got the sense they had became a band not just a side project because it seemed they were very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    Just before "Stranger in your soul" I moved to the back of the Keswick where it was less loud and could get a different perspective and see the band as a whole. I got the sense they had became a band not just a side project because it seemed they were very tight.
    I've always referred to them as "just a side project". This concert made me re-think that quite a bit. Sure looked and sounded like a band to me.

It was a great show. I really enjoyed the music.
    I can do without the lights shining into the audience.
    I ended up wearing sunglasses for a good part of the show, or at least had them ready to deploy.
    Very obnoxious as a regular 'lighting element'.
    I understand the artists need for the visual feedback of an adoring crowd.
    Just save it for encores and special moments.
    TA is by no means the only offender.
    I have been to big brand name acts that had bright lights shining into the audience for most of the show.
    Video camera countermeasures or some such thing.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It was a great show. I really enjoyed the music.
    I can do without the lights shining into the audience.
    I ended up wearing sunglasses for a good part of the show, or at least had them ready to deploy.
    Very obnoxious as a regular 'lighting element'.
    I understand the artists need for the visual feedback of an adoring crowd.
    Just save it for encores and special moments.
    TA is by no means the only offender.
    I have been to big brand name acts that had bright lights shining into the audience for most of the show.
    Video camera countermeasures or some such thing.
    I totally disagree, I love lighting elements like that, and in fact I thought the TA show lighting was fairly mild. Go to a Rush show, you would lose your mind, and I guess your vision. OK, 'm being a little harsh, but I think you exaggerate things a bit too. Rock concerts and very bright, flashing lights are a staple, and I for one want strong visuals at concerts. TA had a rear projection and kind of minimal lights by concert standards. I'd say Nearfest had much more lighting elements at the last few fests. And I remember people griping, but I loved it. I go to shows totally sober, so I soak up all the sounds and sights as best I can, and some visual overload is a good thing to me.

The light show on stage was fine. Rather minimal, but very effective.
    The projections were really nice.
    The bright white lights above either side of the stage that shone only on the audience ( not the stage ) bothered me.
    I felt that the lighting operator used them too much.
    And yes I have been to shows where the 'audience illumination lights' were apparently borrowed from a tanning salon.
    It is a minor quibble. A great show that I would see again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Yeah, there were two lights on the side that killed me. I love crazy lighting, but it shouldn't make you have to shield your eyes or look away from the stage.