Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massive in the USA but not anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No way , Meat Loaf was huge in the UK in the late 70s, early 80s - due both to his album and his appearance in RHPS.
    Reportedly, during the 80's, he'd play huge venues in the UK and Europe, but when he came back to the States he was playing clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No way , Meat Loaf was huge in the UK in the late 70s, early 80s - due both to his album and his appearance in RHPS.
    Indeed, he had hits in the UK with songs from Dead Ringer. You couldn't give that album away in the States.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No he didn't. If he had been managing Elvis correctly in the 50's, he'd have let Elvis do some decent movies that revolve around Elvis bursting into song every 10 minutes. He'd also have been smart if he had let Elvis take supporting roles in some pictures, instead of making each film an "Elvis movie". As I said, the frelling frellnik cared about one thing and one thing only, and that was his 10%. He didn't care that he was trading bigger dividends for a lackluster reputation/legacy.
    Yup, it has been pretty well documented how much parker screwed Elvis's movie career. He was offered several major roles in movies that ended up being considered classics, but they were all turned down by Parker.

Reportedly, during the 80's, he'd play huge venues in the UK and Europe, but when he came back to the States he was playing clubs.
    I saw Meatloaf twice in the mid to late 80’s and he was indeed playing in clubs in the U.S. This was prior to “Bat Out Of Hell II” which eventually put him back into arenas. Love him or hate him, Meat’s club shows were outstanding. The guy was still in prime form and I think he was hungry to try to get back to where he had been. Both shows I saw were around 2.5 hours long, with a killer band and Meat literally commanding the stage. After his big comeback a few years later I saw him again in a big arena, with a huge production, and did not think he was nearly as good. Anyway……back on topic, yes I believe he was still playing arenas in the UK in the late 80’s, but clubs in the U.S.

No he didn't. If he had been managing Elvis correctly in the 50's, he'd have let Elvis do some decent movies that revolve around Elvis bursting into song every 10 minutes. He'd also have been smart if he had let Elvis take supporting roles in some pictures, instead of making each film an "Elvis movie". As I said, the frelling frellnik cared about one thing and one thing only, and that was his 10%. He didn't care that he was trading bigger dividends for a lackluster reputation/legacy.
    The 50s movies are fine- in particular 'King Creole' holds up great even without the songs, some good actors in it like Walter Matthau and directed by Michael Curtiz who had directed 'Casablanca'. I don't see how you can nitpick about what was then- rock and roll- an unknown quantity in any case. Before the draft he'd only done four movies, he was still young. The mismanagement started almost as soon as he came back from the army, and would IMHO have been especially prominent after the British Invasion. Parker should have gone then, no question.

And yes, Meatloaf has always been popular in Britain...I think even when Jim Steinman wasn't involved. I was very young when 'Bat II' came out but I remember that being massive...to be honest I really hated 'I'd Do Anything For Love But I Won't Do That' then (and still do!), though later came to enjoy the first 'Bat...' album. I even have a memory of Meatloaf presenting Top Of The Pops over here in the 90s.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And yes, Meatloaf has always been popular in Britain...I think even when Jim Steinman wasn't involved. I was very young when 'Bat II' came out but I remember that being massive...to be honest I really hated 'I'd Do Anything For Love But I Won't Do That' then (and still do!), though later came to enjoy the first 'Bat...' album. I even have a memory of Meatloaf presenting Top Of The Pops over here in the 90s.
    That's all you'll need from him OR Steinman, if you're not a fanboy.... the rest is redundant.... and not nearly as good...
    Last edited by Trane; 02-13-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The difference with American bands and bands from other parts of the world is that American bands don't need to make it outside the USA to still have hugely successful careers. Bands from outside the USA usually gauge their success by making it IN the USA.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Hmmm. I doubt Three Dog Night were big in Europe. They were huge here. Did Sinatra ever go over big in Europe? He seems quintessentially American! Aerosmith? I don't remember them touring Europe much. The Monkees?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Hmmm. I doubt Three Dog Night were big in Europe. They were huge here. Did Sinatra ever go over big in Europe? He seems quintessentially American! Aerosmith? I don't remember them touring Europe much. The Monkees?
    Three Dog Night never achieved more than a small cult following in the UK
    Aroesmith didnt make it big until the 80"s but they have Run DMC to thank for that.
    The Monkees where huge & ditto Sinatra and his Rat Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Grateful Dead is the obvious one. I don't think Europeans can actually imagine how big a band could be... a weeks residence in this football stadium..... a week in that one....
    I think there was sufficient demand/interest for the Grateful Dead in Europe and elsewhere outside of the US, it's just the band didn't want to risk going through the various customs offices and having their massive drug supplies confiscated and possibly getting arrested!
    (From what i recall reading about their successful Euro tour of 1972, which resulted in one of their more popular live albums: the band was nervous to go to Europe in the first place--traveling without their drug supplies and having to rely on finding the necessary substances while over there--something that caused great anxiety to Garcia/rest of band, and was one of the main factors why they ventured so infrequently outside of the US after that! )
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    You're right, TDN had no exposure in Continental Europe... but then again, even in Canada, I'd not really heard of their music anywhere.

AFAIK, Areosmith did allright in the 70's over here in terms of album sales and airplay

Sinatra was worldwide, even in the 60's, I'd say
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The difference with American bands and bands from other parts of the world is that American bands don't need to make it outside the USA to still have hugely successful careers. Bands from outside the USA usually gauge their success by making it IN the USA.
    Depends where they are from. The great majority of Oz acts wanting overseas credibility ignore the US and head for the UK.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

^Yes, absolutely true. The Easybeats, Olivia Newton-John, John Farrar and The Bee Gees all came to the UK in the 60s. Granted, not all of them were born in Australia, but they resided there and had hits there before they did anywhere else. I think I'm right in saying the same was true of AC/DC being popular in Britain before America?

All the great crooners were popular in Britain. Not just Frank Sinatra, but Andy Williams, for example, he was having big chart hits in the UK well into the 70s. He was also at the centre of a big revival in his British popularity in the 90s, with reissued hits and compilations charting.

Three Dog Night...I think the only one of their songs that the public might know is their version of 'Mama Told Me Not To Come'. I don't know if they had many other hits here.

Angus and Malcolm Youngs older brother George was the guitarist in the Easybeats. He and fellow bandmate Vanda became AC/DCs managers and they patterned the route for AC/DC's success after their own with The Easybeats

It's hard to conceive that TDN were once the biggest band in the USA, as they were sort of the baseline for bland yet competent mediocrity. I can't think of anything by them I dislike, but I also can't imagine them being anyone's favourite anything. And they had at least one massive #1 hit ("Black and White") which is so unmemorable, I couldn't hum the melody if I tried.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I thought everyone was bigger in the states than the rest of the world according to studies on obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I thought everyone was bigger in the states than the rest of the world according to studies on obesity.
    Apparently on the average,the Dutch are the boiggest in the wirld but in the other direction (fuck, even after 10 years over here it's still amazing to see so many people above 1m90, including some women)

I don't think TDN were ever the biggest act in America. Lots of top ten singles but they never filled the sheds like the biggest acts of the day, Brit or American.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The problem with TDN were the actual guys, the singers, at least for me. Over the top, and frequently off key. The band was fantastic, especially for its day. They were tight, inventive and great arrangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't think TDN were ever the biggest act in America. Lots of top ten singles but they never filled the sheds like the biggest acts of the day, Brit or American.
    ELO was the same way: a massive number hit singles but, with the exception of "Out of the Blue" and its subsequent tour, wasn't really a super draw

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The problem with TDN were the actual guys, the singers, at least for me. Over the top, and frequently off key. The band was fantastic, especially for its day. They were tight, inventive and great arrangers.
    I remember Mike Keneally writing an article in Guitar Player back in the mid 90's, a "Here's a few key licks from each of my favorite guitarists of the 70's" sort of deal. I remember he mentioned Ollie Hassall, Steve Hillage (though I gather Mike only likes Khan, didn't care for Gong or Hillage's solo records), and a few others. At one point he goes into discussing phenomenal guitarists who are underrated because they were in really hugely popular bands. He mentions Terry Kath, and then the guy from Three Dog Night. The line he used was "Listen to Three Dog Night Captured Live At The Forum! Seriously!", like he thought readers might have thought a Three Dog Night recommendation might be a joke.

"Listen to Three Dog Night Captured Live At The Forum! Seriously!", like he thought readers might have thought a Three Dog Night recommendation might be a joke.
    QFT!! This is one of the greatest live albums of all time!! Well, at least for me, that is!

I don't know about live (are there any publications or sites that quantify an artist's ticket sales?) but going by Billboard's singles chart, TDN were the biggest group of the pre-disco 70s (with Elton John the biggest artist of the whole decade).

Incidentally, Hall & Oates were the biggest sellers in the States of the 80s, pre-Thriller. Another act that was big here, meant little overseas.