Thread: Anthony Phillips - Private Parts and Pieces III

Anthony Phillips - Private Parts and Pieces III

Missing from my Ant collection....Is this your typical Ant acoustic record???

Yes, and no. It's largely a collection of pieces he composed together with Argentinian guitarist Enrique Berro Garcia. It's very beautiful, of course, and the two of them compliment each other's playing perfectly. Then again, I'm an unabashed Anthony Phillips fan, so I would say that, wouldn't I? The style of the music is mostly what you would expect from Ant, but the addition of Enrique gives it a special flavor.

This is my fave PPaP record next to the very first (albeit somewhat "primitive") one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah, mostly acoustic guitar duets not unlike many of his other works. A couple pieces have electric guitar, one of which also has bass. Some real nice melodies, 'Sand Dunes', 'Hurlingham Suite' and 'Suite for D Minor' (the one with bass) are quite nice.

I love PP&P III. One of my favourites! Defiinitely get it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The electric guitar is by Garcia and is very low-key; more Joe Pass in tone than Joe Satriani.

For example:

About 3:40, there's a solo by Quique.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 02-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.

I wish all these parts and pieces and missing links etc. would be put into a complete box set. That could be a fantastic product.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I wish all these parts and pieces and missing links etc. would be put into a complete box set. That could be a fantastic product.
    What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Yes, and no. It's largely a collection of pieces he composed together with Argentinian guitarist Enrique Berro Garcia. It's very beautiful, of course, and the two of them compliment each other's playing perfectly. Then again, I'm an unabashed Anthony Phillips fan, so I would say that, wouldn't I? The style of the music is mostly what you would expect from Ant, but the addition of Enrique gives it a special flavor.
    Hi Bruce! It's Johnny.....Sorry to go off thread...just wanted to say that I've been waiting 2 years for the new Jade Warrior to be released. Jon Field is not ready yet! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Hi Bruce! It's Johnny.....Sorry to go off thread...just wanted to say that I've been waiting 2 years for the new Jade Warrior to be released. Jon Field is not ready yet! lol!
    Hey John! Great to hear from you. Yeah, I think I check the Jade Warrior site daily. No new updates since October 2011 (!) It must be some sort of supreme irony that the album they're working on is called Haiku.

Hey John! Great to hear from you. Yeah, I think I check the Jade Warrior site daily. No new updates since October 2011 (!) It must be some sort of supreme irony that the album they're working on is called Haiku.
    Really? I'm just happy to know they are working on a new one. Funny, just broke out 'Last Autumn's Dream' a couple days ago, which sounded really good.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Really? I'm just happy to know they are working on a new one. Funny, just broke out 'Last Autumn's Dream' a couple days ago, which sounded really good.
    Not to derail the thread, but...http://www.jadewarrior.com/

Roll your cursor over the words "Haiku" at the bottom, and there is a very brief snippet of music from the forthcoming album.

One of my least favorites from the PP&P series.

Not to derail the thread, but...http://www.jadewarrior.com/

Roll your cursor over the words "Haiku" at the bottom, and there is a very brief snippet of music from the forthcoming album.
    Oooh sounds promising!

Now, back to 'Antiques'...

Gentle and sweet in that AP vein. "Esperanza" is my personal favorite: a short, sweet little ditty with a beautiful electric guitar tone by Garcia matched marvelously with Ant's usual stellar 12-string work.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    What a great idea!
    Listening to one of them now!

A fine album! Heartily recommended.