Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA members... Hunnibee

Banned
    Facebook is spam. I stopped email notification at FB and still get emails with from field set to a friend's name. The email all ways has a link to a site in a foreign country, typically Eastern Europe.

Regarding JIF, I'm not particularly sad that he and his obtuse posts are gone, but as devil's advocate/defense attorney, most of his problems stem from his disease (Cerebral Palsy iirc), which I'm guessing never allowed him to discern sarcasm, humor and subtlety.

If that ain't the kiss of death among all of us idiot savants here, I don't know what is.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Regarding JIF, I'm not particularly sad that he and his obtuse posts are gone, but as devil's advocate/defense attorney, most of his problems stem from his disease (Cerebral Palsy iirc), which I'm guessing never allowed him to discern sarcasm, humor and subtlety.

If that ain't the kiss of death among all of us idiot savants here, I don't know what is.
    spot on. There are subtle nuances in day-to-day repartee between like-minded folk that eluded that dude. I have no problem with the long leash he was granted but he stayed at the end of it constantly and most people don't have the stomach for the daily dosage of salt required to tolerate a JIF. Just one more of the ironic people I've encountered who are so desirous human interaction but suck so badly at obtaining and maintaining it.

My experience of working with those with cerebral palsy is that they can be very affectionate, but, sadly for some, perhaps this does not necessarily translate to the internet. Because cp effects muscle strength/tone, sufferers often need a lot of physiotherapy in order to be able to perform functions that many of us take for granted, such as breathing. I do not know anything about the case in question, but the disease is certainly no laughing matter. I'll stick my neck out here and say possibly he needed to be limited to a number of posts per week, but the software may not have facilitated such a decision?
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Right. I can't even relate to what it must be like living with something like that, but there's no doubt that he was a little socially challenged. We had our differences from time to time, but I feel bad for the kid. Hope he finds another outlet - he obviously loves the music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    When confronted with the identity discovery:

Who the hell is JIF? Seriously, stop talking about peanut butter. You're making me my hungry.

Why was he banned?
    So Jymbot could have some company

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Isn't Jymbot luvyes...?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's so hard to keep track anymore...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Isn't Jymbot luvyes...?
    I thought Lino stated he was "Wallace"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Right. I can't even relate to what it must be like living with something like that, but there's no doubt that he was a little socially challenged. We had our differences from time to time, but I feel bad for the kid. Hope he finds another outlet - he obviously loves the music.
    I feel bad for him, too. I get the feeling that his condition keeps him homebound (I think he once said on here that he needed help getting around town and back to his place), and his social awkwardness probably means he doesn't have many real-life friends. As such, I think this was one of few his outlets to the outside world, and it meant a lot to him, since he found a community of people who love the same kind of music he does.

I know he annoyed a lot of people on here, but I also don't think he did it with malicious intent. He just doesn't communicate well, and as Progeezer said, the subtleties that make sense to those of us who are (more or less) properly wired most likely went over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Isn't Jymbot luvyes...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I thought Lino stated he was "Wallace"
    Yeah, Jymbot is, or was Wallace. He eventually admitted it, and even started posting in Wallace dialect. No idea about luvyes.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    What current PE member used to be 80swereok?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Yeah, Jymbot is, or was Wallace. He eventually admitted it, and even started posting in Wallace dialect. No idea about luvyes.
    Yeh, I did a search and found a thread about pretentious prog posters. Wow, the prose in that thread is mind bending, not just Wallace either. The thread is incredibly creative, whether you agree with opinions or not. I'd expect that many people who pour that much energy into a thread, that at some point the stress builds up and leads to schizophrenic behavior, especially in grumpsters like me.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-posters/page7

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Damn I miss threads like that on PE, I used to disappear in the prose.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Proof that some here get too much rope.

I'm my own person. I have nothing to hide. Ask anyone who knows me ;-) ( if I'm the luvyes some are referring to- I don't see a luvyes as a member here; I'm the closest one).

And let's be honest, there are many folks here and real life who are a bit off. They take things or themselves waay too seriously, focus on or are too intense on issues/ have some form of a.d.d., have little or no social skills, may lack a sense of humor ( something that is required if one is to interpret some of my posts. I told a co-worker just yesterday who told me for the hundredth time that I'm a funny guy- I have him laughing everyday at work- that "I'm not really funny; just a thinly-veiled asshole" ;-). ), may have mental issues and btw, many of these folks are attracted to the Internet for infinite reasons; sometimes even an attempt to work on their own socialization and communication skills and Internet personas.

I personally can more easily accept those who are "a bit off" for one reason or another for their postings. Blaming or accessing others' postings and bad behavior on physical limitations and challenges and the frustrations that sometime go along with them, I really don't buy that at all. Just my two cents.

There have to be some basic rules of decorum on most sites. The majority of members usually aren't privy to what goes on behind the scenes and how much "rope" is actually let out by the mod.s and administrators and how repeat offending members prefer to "hang" themselves; truth be known.

It was the aggression that I personally couldn't deal with, and largely stayed away from his threads/posts after a while. It got to the point where there were certain topics- like latter-day Yes, for instance- that I felt uncomfortable posting about in fear of another OTT blow-up from him. The long quotes from posts you've already seen once, and the YouTube postings also irritated me personally, and I did tell him that on here. We probably all have our issues away from the music, but the music is the reason I'm here, pure and simple.

But there have been a couple of 'troll' types (I never felt JIF was a 'troll', really) around here IMHO, whilst some more interesting people on the old site have pretty much disappeared.

Yeah unfortunately the bottom line is what counts. Whether a condition is to blame or not, one simply cannot stomp around the forum arguing and nitpicking with everyone he sees, it ruins the experience for people. And I do mean nitpicking of the highest order. Typos happen, and if I accidentally type "Alan Whiite", it's entirely unnecessary to quote my whole post to say "Isn't it Alan White?".... Personally, this place is an oasis for me: a place to discuss my one true passion with (mostly) like-minded and knowledgeable people, hopefully with a touch of humour and wit, at least now and then, without endless combative responses. I love it here, and the experience was being seriously diminished there for a while, what with the condescending remarks, the hundred-posts-per-day, the "Wikipedia knows all" approach and the juvenile arguing and deflecting.

The good people here vastly outnumber the handful of problem people IMO, and while some interesting ones may have dropped off, there's still plenty of greatness to be found.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You can still find Jymbot-Wallace (as Wallace) on another forum, they used to post a lot of spam threads here
    so I'm giving them no Promotion (it's one of the worst forums I ever seen).

Why people do feel the urge to say something like "i'm pwog masterman and you are not" every 2 minutes is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    You can still find Jymbot-Wallace (as Wallace) on another forum, they used to post a lot of spam threads here
    so I'm giving them no Promotion (it's one of the worst forums I ever seen).

Why people do feel the urge to say something like "i'm pwog masterman and you are not" every 2 minutes is beyond me.
    I suppose that once you realize that you're not going to get laid anytime soon, and you've exhausted your normal masturbatory zeal, that the only thing left is to masturbate your ego.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Hey, that's quotable!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    I suppose that once you realize that you're not going to get laid anytime soon, and you've exhausted your normal masturbatory zeal, that the only thing left is to masturbate your ego.
    I thought he was playing the role of ProgDick, and putting on a satire

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah unfortunately the bottom line is what counts. Whether a condition is to blame or not, one simply cannot stomp around the forum arguing and nitpicking with everyone he sees, it ruins the experience for people. And I do mean nitpicking of the highest order. Typos happen, and if I accidentally type "Alan Whiite", it's entirely unnecessary to quote my whole post to say "Isn't it Alan White?".... Personally, this place is an oasis for me: a place to discuss my one true passion with (mostly) like-minded and knowledgeable people, hopefully with a touch of humour and wit, at least now and then, without endless combative responses. I love it here, and the experience was being seriously diminished there for a while, what with the condescending remarks, the hundred-posts-per-day, the "Wikipedia knows all" approach and the juvenile arguing and deflecting.

The good people here vastly outnumber the handful of problem people IMO, and while some interesting ones may have dropped off, there's still plenty of greatness to be found.
    Agreed. I understand why he was banned; I just wish he could have found a way to comport himself in a way that didn't get under people's skin. I mean, there are some trollish people on here who deliberately give other people a hard time, that I would have banned long before JIF -- but it's obviously not my forum and not my call. But in the end, the good far outweighs the bad. We all want a forum where we can come and relax and enjoy ourselves, and despite the occasional bump in the road, this place is still much more welcoming than most places on the Web. Sean and the other mods deserve a lot of credit for that.

At least Nestor seems not to have come over from PE v.2 to infect this place. Talk about combative trolls that can ruin an entire forum ...
    Last edited by Adrian; 03-03-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Nestor I never had a problem with personally. I did find value in most of his contributions, but the combative approach didn't endear him to many (and I didn't agree with his Beatles posts, that's for sure- the 'boy band' stuff just seemed like deliberate baiting).

Two of the biggest trolls in PE history (at least since 2006), Nestor and Johnny Quest, were both attorneys. Maybe they delusionally thought PE was a good place to practice their courtroom adversarial forensics.

BTW, thanks Sean!