Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transatlantic concert this Saturday / Snow

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. Yay! We'll be cutting it close getting there.

I listened to the new one about 3 times. Like it alot. Really looking forward to the show.

Just hope they don't play f'ing June!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't forget - VIP tix means you can give Portnoy's beard a good tug. It's tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't forget - VIP tix means you can give Portnoy's beard a good tug. It's tradition.
    I thought the VIP description says you get to dip his beard in the Colored Dye of your Choice?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    " Hey, Pete, your vocal section on the track "Kalleidoscope" seems totally out of place."
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I wouldn't mind it a bit! Plus it's a short tune so it's not like they would be wasting set time much. Getting psyched for this, I leave for the show in a few minutes.

Did they play f'n June?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Did they play f'n June?
    LOL well I wasn't there, but... no. Too much of their own material to play now! Kaleidoscope has already bumped a lot of previous stuff out of the set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I thought the VIP description says you get to dip his beard in the Colored Dye of your Choice?
    " Hey, Pete, your vocal section on the track "Kalleidoscope" seems totally out of place."
    You guys are crackin' me up!

YAY! No F'ing June!
    Seems like he plays it whenever he can. Pretty sick of it.

GREAT SHOW!

I have to concur that Pete's vocals were really weak in Kaleidoscope. At least he gets a chance to play bass now.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

YAY! No F'ing June!
    Seems like he plays it whenever he can. Pretty sick of it.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think TA have played material from the members' current and former bands since the SMPT:e tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think TA have played material from the members' current and former bands since the SMPT:e tour.
    You are correct. Personally, I have seen Neal perform a lot over the years and it doesn't seemed that he overdoes June. In fact, with the amount of solo material he has, he doesn't often go back to the Spock's catalog and hasn't since he went solo. Yes, he has performed the song, but to say that he does it whenever he has a chance is not really accurate. At least not at the fairly significant number of shows that I have seen.

I think they did "June" with Flying Colors but rarely with Neal's solo band if I recall.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't think Pete fashions himself a vocalist, but somehow his vocals work for me in the Transatlantic material. They certainly don't overuse his vocals and yes, they aren't perfect, but they work somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think they did "June" with Flying Colors but rarely with Neal's solo band if I recall.
    That is true as much like the first Transatlantic shows, they did a song from each band member. June is a signature Neal tune for these kinds of circumstances, but also has the benefit of being short. That same thing can't be said of 80% of the other Prog related material that Neal has been involved with.

[QUOTE=Jimmy Giant;216934]YAY! No F'ing June!
    Seems like he plays it whenever he can. Pretty sick of it/QUOTE]

What on about! He hardly plays it. I have every solo CD/DVD he's done & June isnt on any of 'em!

The concert last night was incredible, it far exceeded my expectations! Got to sit in the second row for this too. Packed place, not a sellout, but well over a 1,000 in attendance, nice to see. Loved the new material, but sadly I didn't see the new album available by the time I got to the table after the show. I'm not the biggest fan of "Whirlwind" but the truncated version of this sounded great. And how about Ted Leonard? What a great choice to replace the ill Daniel Gildenlow. And they kept him really busy back there. I would have wanted more vocals from him, just to hear that awesome voice of his. As for Portnoy, I think I somehow had forgotten what a terrific drummer he is. I had seem him live countless times over the years, but it's been a while, since 2008 with LTE. And he and the whole band were having a blast. I've always referred to TA as "just" a side project, but I think at this point I'm converted, this is a true band.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    The concert last night was incredible, it far exceeded my expectations! Got to sit in the second row for this too. Packed place, not a sellout, but well over a 1,000 in attendance, nice to see. Loved the new material, but sadly I didn't see the new album available by the time I got to the table after the show. I'm not the biggest fan of "Whirlwind" but the truncated version of this sounded great. And how about Ted Leonard? What a great choice to replace the ill Daniel Gildenlow. And they kept him really busy back there. I would have wanted more vocals from him, just to hear that awesome voice of his. As for Portnoy, I think I somehow had forgotten what a terrific drummer he is. I had seem him live countless times over the years, but it's been a while, since 2008 with LTE. And he and the whole band were having a blast. I've always referred to TA as "just" a side project, but I think at this point I'm converted, this is a true band.
    Thanks for sharing! I bet the weather forecast kept a few people at home so glad it was still well attended!

Nice set (link from Keswick posted below, SPOILERS), can't make tonight's show...or can I? Hmmmmmm.....

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/transa...-53c5232d.html
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Ha! I thought that if anything, Portnoy might have convinced them to play some Beatles tunes what with the 50th anniversary being this weekend and all.

Either way, had a great time at the show, even if I did lose my cell phone Oh, and if anyone is looking for a good spot to eat before a show at the Keswick, we went to Drake Tavern... good food and a nice selection of craft beers on tap.

Just got back this afternoon from Philly. What a great show, indeed. I bought the new album on the way up there from DC and listened to it once before the show. It wasn't blowing me away on first listen, but the live versions are wonderful. I'm starting to dig the studio version more, also.

They ought to just make Ted Leonard a permanent fifth member of the band. His vocals, in particular, added a lot. I suppose the last thing they need is yet another songwriter in the mix, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Cupcakes View Post
    Ha! I thought that if anything, Portnoy might have convinced them to play some Beatles tunes what with the 50th anniversary being this weekend and all.

Either way, had a great time at the show, even if I did lose my cell phone Oh, and if anyone is looking for a good spot to eat before a show at the Keswick, we went to Drake Tavern... good food and a nice selection of craft beers on tap.
    I'd happily go there, but I'm hooked on the pizza joint around the corner. "Trio" something. Had great pizza the previous time, this time had a killer panini. A craft brew would have been nice though.