Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brecker Brothers Complete 8CD set for $13 at Amazon

They are the real thing, not knock offs. Received mine a few days ago from soverstocks. I don't know how they do it for this price though....

There you have it, Tim.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've ordered some pretty decent CD's from zoverstocks for £0.01 + shipping. It seems that almost each time I check out the third party sellers for a CD in amazon.co.uk, it turns out that zoverstocks is selling it. My guess is that they are probably some sort of company which monetizes the excess inventory of bankrupt CD vendors, or something like that.

Ordered this morning.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Glad to see some interest in The Brecker Brothers happening here! I've sort of felt like every time I've mentioned them, the response has generally been the sound of crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    got mine... checking out the first album now... very solid and fun!

only one throwaway song
    That "throwaway song" is "Oh My Stars," no doubt! The only vocal tune, for starters. But in a lot of ways, I think that debut was their best. What they were doing was pretty groundbreaking at the time; they brought very sophisticated modern jazz harmony to funk, a music that's usually fairly simplistic harmonically. Obviously, they were far from the first jazz players to dabble in funk, but I feel that the way they approached it was fresh and unprecedented. Randy Brecker wrote the majority of the material and he had a very distinct style of composing. Later on, brother Michael would become a great composer with a personal style of his own, but that's more in evidence on his solo albums, which were more in the modern straight ahead jazz vein (although "Now You See it, Now You Don't" was pretty funky).

My favorite BB albums are the s/t debut, Heavy Metal Bebop and Straphanging, but there's great stuff to be found on all of them.

BTW, I saw the band when the debut was still a new release and David Sanborn was a member. Awesome show!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Glad to see some interest in The Brecker Brothers happening here! I've sort of felt like every time I've mentioned them, the response has generally been the sound of crickets.

That "throwaway song" is "Oh My Stars," no doubt! The only vocal tune, for starters. But in a lot of ways, I think that debut was their best. What they were doing was pretty groundbreaking at the time; they brought very sophisticated modern jazz harmony to funk, a music that's usually fairly simplistic harmonically. Obviously, they were far from the first jazz players to dabble in funk, but I feel that the way they approached it was fresh and unprecedented. Randy Brecker wrote the majority of the material and he had a very distinct style of composing. Later on, brother Michael would become a great composer with a personal style of his own, but that's more in evidence on his solo albums, which were more in the modern straight ahead jazz vein (although "Now You See it, Now You Don't" was pretty funky).

My favorite BB albums are the s/t debut, Heavy Metal Bebop and Straphanging, but there's great stuff to be found on all of them.

BTW, I saw the band when the debut was still a new release and David Sanborn was a member. Awesome show!

In the news of the weird Department, David Sanborn is apparently performing with Bobby Hutcherson, Joey D, and Billy Hart this weekend. I guess that smooth jazz/instrumental pop/crossover guy can actually hang with the cats!

Just ordered, thanks!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    In the news of the weird Department, David Sanborn is apparently performing with Bobby Hutcherson, Joey D, and Billy Hart this weekend. I guess that smooth jazz/instrumental pop/crossover guy can actually hang with the cats!
    He always could; he just chose r&b jazz to be his niche. He used to host a music TV show; once he had Sonny Rollins as a guest and did an admirable job of trading solos with him.

Picked this up not too long after it came out. I had previously had cassette copies of the s/t, Straphangin', and HMBB, along with the lp of Don't Stop the Music. Fun to dig deeper into these and explore the others. Man, these guys were bad-asses. Talented and pushing the envelope compositionally, developing ideas explored by BST, Chase, Chicago, and others, but with a serious dose of the funk thrown in. To me the Blue Montreaux sides were a great addition as well.

[...and yeah, Sanborn has always been able to hang. If all someone knew was his "smooth" output (which is actually pretty great for the style), they'd be missing out, 'cause he's quite a bit deeper than that.]
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Too bad "Return of..." and "Out of the Loop" aren't included in this box. I like them better than their old stuff.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

For the uninitiated but curious (in case such a person is still following this thread):

This is probably the tune they were most famous for:

From their last album (unless you include the recent reunion album, sans the 7 years deceased Michael Brecker), "Out of the Loop:"

I am aware of the Breckers only because of their many session appearances. But I just couldn't resist a new box set for $11.50 particularly after all the praise in this thread. So maybe next time you bring them up I will have something to say!

Great band!

I saw them a couple times during their early 90s comeback with Mike Stern on guitar.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Thanks for the info. Now I can order with confidence!

That "throwaway song" is "Oh My Stars," no doubt! The only vocal tune, for starters.
    yes... and no... the other vocal tune is the Discunk tune 'Sneaking up on you' which, although a bit weak, isn't a complete throwaway
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Got mine in the mail yesterday - so far I've listened to the first and Heavy Metal Bebop - they're as good as I remembered.

yes... and no... the other vocal tune is the Discunk tune 'Sneaking up on you' which, although a bit weak, isn't a complete throwaway
    Oh yeah, "Sneaking Up Behind You;" forgot about that one! Considering it was probably an attempt to get some commercial airplay, it's not that bad, although that and "Oh My Stars" are definitely the weak links on an otherwise great album.

If you like early Breck Bros you might also want to check out "Steps Ahead". Michael plays in this group too, so there is some linearity. It's like Brecker Bros with vibes (Mike Mainieri) instead of the heavy horn section.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Having listened to the debut and the second a few times each now, I get a distinct feeling that Tower Of Power were very influential on the Brecker Bros
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

on the 4th listen through the 3rd disc...

umm... that open hi-hat hit between the beats... err... that's DISCO!

only 2 great tunes and 1 decent tune out of 7 tracks... this 3rd album struggles to win an 8 on the Gnosis scale

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you like early Breck Bros you might also want to check out "Steps Ahead". Michael plays in this group too, so there is some linearity. It's like Brecker Bros with vibes (Mike Mainieri) instead of the heavy horn section.
    Mainieri was the unofficial leader of the two Blue MOntreux albums included in the Brecker box, FYI.

Still waiting for my copy. It has been about 2 weeks since I ordered, but what can I expect for 14 bucks. I'm sure it will be here soon!

on the 4th listen through the 3rd disc...

umm... that open hi-hat hit between the beats... err... that's DISCO!

only 2 great tunes and 1 decent tune out of 7 tracks... this 3rd album struggles to win an 8 on the Gnosis scale
    Yes, they really slipped their disco on the title track of Don't Stop The Music. That's what the skip button is for on future listens. The track before that -- Squids -- is some great fusion though, has an almost RTF feel.

Really like the box set so far. I'm in the midst of the 2nd Blue Montreux disc, which smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    Still waiting for my copy. It has been about 2 weeks since I ordered, but what can I expect for 14 bucks. I'm sure it will be here soon!
    I haven't gotten mine either, and it has been over one Month. On Amazon, the shipping date range indicates another two weeks is possible. Looks like they went for ocean freight with this one!

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I haven't gotten mine either, and it has been over one Month. On Amazon, the shipping date range indicates another two weeks is possible. Looks like they went for ocean freight with this one!
    I just received mine - took three weeks, so don't despair (yet). Just over $10 including shipping! Such an unexpected deal.
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)