Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PFM to play in Chicago 4/6

I've not bought an advanced ticket because I won't know until the last minute if I'm going. So, in one way I'm happy that tix will be available at the door, but I find it surprising (and disheartening) that only 59 have sold so far. I mean, VdGG packed the Abbey a few short years ago (probably around 300 people or more), and here's another classic prog band from the same era (one that actually *had* some U.S. success back in the day) and they've only sold 59 tix. That sounds odd to me, what's the source of that info?

I would love to go to this show but the four hour ride each way and having to take Monday off is a deal killer. I'm sure it's going to be great. I envy those who are going.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I would love to go to this show but the four hour ride each way and having to take Monday off is a deal killer. I'm sure it's going to be great. I envy those who are going.
    2 hour (plane) ride each way for me, plus work tomorrow. I hate all of you that are going.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Amazing show! say it again, Amazing show! The band played just about everything you would want to hear from the Manticore albums, and the new track Romeo et Juliet from PFM In Classic really went down a storm. Franz, Patrick and Franco were gracious, as was their manager Iaia. Great to see all the familiar faces, and of course, put faces to names!

Thank you Robby and Reggies!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

What my friend the Strawberry said, in spades!

As it turned out, there were about 150 or so people there at peak, but PFM sure as hell didn't phone in their performance, and played as if it was an arena show. Might be the best $40 I EVER spent to hear live music!

These guys are consummate pros.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

PFM and D97. I would love to have seen that!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Very, very nice!

As Charles and Steve stated, what a night! When I saw Franco the lead guitarist start the show with a music stand in front of him, I wondered if that meant a phoned-in show. My guess is the band started the night with some less frequently-played songs, and the stand went away midway through the performance. There was no video wall, no extra lights, just a solid 2+ hour show played in front of awe-struck and appreciative fans.

And PE's own Lino showed up. Lino if you're reading this, we can vouch to your wife that you went out for a pack of smokes, took a wrong turn and ended up in Chicago!

I so much envy all of you! I'm much pleased to hear that the band still blows heads off. I will never forget the two So. Cal. shows that I witnessed in 1977, and how fantastic the band was. Still the grand daddy of all Italian prog!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

and unfortunately guys this is why the European bands on the whole cant afford to come and play in the USA unless its a festival invite or a solo artist. The distances needed to be covered are too big on the whole and the costs too high. Shame as we all like coming and USA audiences are great in terms of appreciation! PFM do sell well too and as you say I think getting flyers out in all the Italian restaurants and coffee bars etc would have been a good thing. The problem is though a lot of promoters and venues dont do guarantees in the USA-they just pay you a door split, they get their expenses back ok even with 100 people and make the money on the bar , so really doesnt matter to them if the band end up with not very much at all and they dont "promote" .

Vicky,
    The Italian Consulate, the Italian Cultural organizations here in Chicago, you know, people in power. Richard Pinhas had a good draw here, and the French govt was behind him. I also believe that Samlas Mamma Manna had assistence from the Swedish govt when they played at Schubas a few years back.

The fact of the matter is that Robbie didn't promote the gig, he said so himself. Even our boy Kevin, who bragged about booking PFM in post #11, didn't even attend the gig.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I agree Charles, I think the issue is ----its no skin off lots of these peoples noses if the bands dont pull, once they have "their" costs covered off they are often happy--unless they are paying large guarantees (in which case I cant understand why they wouldnt put a biit more into it )

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I agree Charles, I think the issue is ----its no skin off lots of these peoples noses if the bands dont pull, once they have "their" costs covered off they are often happy--unless they are paying large guarantees (in which case I cant understand why they wouldnt put a biit more into it )
    My understanding is that the club owner truly thought the PFM one-off show would sell itself. After all, he is successfully booking bands 7 nights a week, he's had the clubs for 6+ years, he is juggling a lot. I think this show just indicates the audience for this band was not that large to begin with. And this should be no surprise to anyone here. How often have we winced when a band comes to your city and you think it should be a great draw, yet it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I think this show just indicates the audience for this band was not that large to begin with. And this should be no surprise to anyone here. How often have we winced when a band comes to your city and you think it should be a great draw, yet it does not.
    I tried that argument earlier in the thread, but nobody agreed at all. It was the club's fault for not promoting, and the fan's fault for being lazy, because PFM are a huge worldwide draw.

Maybe the PFM street team were not good enough. I only got one measly hard-sell e-mail about the show. Perhaps a free shuttle ride or free valet parking could have swayed me. I want perks!
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 04-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.

I would also agree that what can seem "big" on here is not always "big" in the general scheme of things as far as joe public go -- and also some who may have travelled to see as a one off if they have those kind of funds may well have been going to Cruise to the Edge anyway.

Correct. Kevin (the guy who booked the show) was mentioned as a no-show, but was on 'Cruise To The Edge' the day after the Chicago show.

It's always best in these cases to think about the Sound of Contact "Bring Back The Prog Tour", featuring the great Simon Collin's - son of Phil Collins. Then look behind you as YES featuring some guy named Jon Davidson, is still selling to theaters and even have their own cruise. Or how about the 40 Years of Eddie Jobson Tour, that stormed stadiums across the states? Much to reflect on....

I'm not so sure that I agree with several of the above comments. Goblin, who had never even performed in America previously, pulled off an extensive, and venue packed tour across the country last year. And they are touring here again. Yes, they are known for their soundtracks, but PFM? My God, they are the fathers of Italian prog. IMO it all comes down to proper marketing and management support.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I'm not so sure that I agree with several of the above comments. Goblin, who had never even performed in America previously, pulled off an extensive, and venue packed tour across the country last year. And they are touring here again. Yes, they are known for their soundtracks, but PFM? My God, they are the fathers of Italian prog. IMO it all comes down to proper marketing and management support.
    Goblin's tour success was OVERWHELMINGLY due to their cult status with horror fans.

Promoting the Godfathers of Italian Prog has almost precisely as much PR clout as the Godfathers of Belgian Trance (probably less).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My understanding is that the club owner truly thought the PFM one-off show would sell itself. After all, he is successfully booking bands 7 nights a week, he's had the clubs for 6+ years, he is juggling a lot. I think this show just indicates the audience for this band was not that large to begin with. And this should be no surprise to anyone here. How often have we winced when a band comes to your city and you think it should be a great draw, yet it does not.
    Well I thought about going. I sent the owner a PM asking a couple of simple questions weeks before the show, and he didn't even bother to respond. Doesn't look like he is too interested in people attending his shows.

Romerovm, for any questions about shows like this, it's best to email me at kevin@reggieslive.com