Thread: Does Hammills re-recorded "Love Songs" improve on the originals?

Does Hammills re-recorded "Love Songs" improve on the originals?

I think so, his voice had matured a lot by the 80's and Vision and The Birds have added gravity and emotion. The arrangement of "Again" is an improvement over the original and although the others are less clearly distinguished from the original recorded versions, I can't think of any track that isn't at least slightly improved by this 1984 treatment.

I've never cared for it much, personally. I should revisit it though, to see if I've changed my mind over the years. I do remember finding most of the songs inferior to the originals, dressed up in that 80s style (with that hideous 80s outfit he's wearing on the cover!)... and being that Over is one of my all time favourite albums by anyone, I didn't like "The Looking Glass" being redone either. "Just Good Friends" is pretty good though... I don't remember how the re-done "Again" sounds, but I like that song a lot in the first place, so I'm guessing I won't find it an improvement. I have an almost-complete PH collection, so with that many titles to choose from, this has got to be near the bottom of the frequency. But my mind could be unfairly painting it as worse than it is... I'll check it out again.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I always play the regular albums so I haven't spun this in ages.
    I can only vaguely remember how the song are different from the originals.

Like already said - its a mixed bag,
    I do agree that the singing is more mature, and also agree that some dubious 80s production values creeped in,
    And since in the bottom line it is tagged as a collection, I also dont get to visit it too often.
    But now I really feel like it gonna spin the vinyl tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    I think so, his voice had matured a lot by the 80's and Vision and The Birds have added gravity and emotion. The arrangement of "Again" is an improvement over the original and although the others are less clearly distinguished from the original recorded versions, I can't think of any track that isn't at least slightly improved by this 1984 treatment.
    I can't think of a track that is an improvement.

Maybe I need to revisit this one, but I recall stuff like "Vision" just not sounding right.

Didn't he also use tinker toy level keyboard sounds on some of this one?

I look at them as different animals and I can appreciate both. But then, more pH is good pH.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Haven't heard it in ages, but I remember thinking I really like Looking Glass more on the updated version (The Love Songs). That's mainly due to The Voice.

Yes.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Dont remember how much he altered/added,
    but from what I remember all the original multitracks were used as a base for the work.
    anyhow, like it alot!

"The album is a compilation of ballads from Hammill's previous solo albums, re-recorded in new versions; all reworked, redubbed and remixed to form this album. The lead vocals were replaced on all tracks, except "Been Alone So Long". All tracks were based on the original multitracks, except "Again" and "If I Could", which are based on live K Group performances taken from the Margin Tour."