Thread: RIP: Riz Ortolani (Italian Composer - Mondo Cane)

RIP: Riz Ortolani (Italian Composer - Mondo Cane)

Saw this over on Classic Horror Film Board. Ortolani is easily in my top 5 Italian film composers. Although most famous for Mondo Cane, I'd picked up the soundtrack to Mondo Candido (a film I'd never heard of and have yet to see), and loved it. --Peter

Prolific Italian genre soundtrack composer from the early-sixties onwards - his MONDO CANE won a Grammy and an Oscar nom in 1962 for its main theme, 'More', and his theme from CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) is one of the most beautifully evocative, haunting themes I've ever heard. But of course his career was so much more expansive than just those two highlights. Recent movies like DJANGO UNCHAINED, DRIVE and KISS KISS BANG BANG have featured Ortolani compositions on their soundtracks.

http://exclaim.ca/News/soundtrack_le...ani_dies_at_87

I recently nabbed a VHS tape of the still-not-on-DVD "mod"-era comedy The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom, which has a very nice Riz Ortolani soundtrack.

Cannibal Holocaust is weird; who thought attaching his dreamy, romantic theme song to that film was a good idea?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Cannibal Holocaust is weird; who thought attaching his dreamy, romantic theme song to that film was a good idea?
    It's one of the best things to do. It enhances what's shown on screen.

I love Una Sull'altra which is completely different to CH:
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."