Thread: Featured CD - Robert Calvert : Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters

Featured CD - Robert Calvert : Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters

From the best reviewer in the history of prog :
    If you know anything about the venerable space-band Hawkwind, you know that the late Robert Calvert was their charismatic frontman and lyricist. And if you know the names Dave Brock, Nik Turner, Lemmy Kilminster, Del Dettmar, Simon King, Paul Rudolph, Vivian Stanshall, Brian Eno, Arthur Brown and Jim Capaldi - then you know that all the key members of Hawkwind - along with a few notable guests - are on this record. So think of it as a great album that Hawkwind never made.

More or less every second track is music, and every other track is vocal - a Zappa-esque / Python-esque skit that takes its inspiration from a scandal in Germany in the 1950s. The German government purchased some 700 new Lockheed F-104 Starfighter jets,, and had them so heavily modified that they killed many Luftwaffe pilots - who quickly dubbed the plane the 'Widowmaker', or the 'Flying Coffin'. Calvert's satirical version of this story has the German airforce demanding an improved air capability, testing it, negotiating the purchase, a couple of idiot mechanics who know nothing about the planes, and so on. Very typical of English satirical dark wit. A concept album with a difference.

But the humor can only be played so many times before it gets old - so if you program your iPod to play just the musical tracks, it's interesting as a 40-plus minute Cantebury-era piece with clean vocals in a clear, well enunciated style, psychedelic bluesy acid-rock instrumentation with heavy bass and pronounced guitar licks, often veering off into a Floydian spacey vibe.

"The Aerospace Inferno" is a standout, a mildly heavy piece with psychedelic guitars wailing over a deep groove. and clear singing ... Set your controls for the heart of the earth... (Sound familiar?) "Catch a Falling Starfighter" was released as the B-side on a single - a slow piece, irony-laden and sad, very simple but very catchy.

Originally released in 1974, this Eclectic Discs reissue was remastered from the original master tapes and features fully restored artwork. It includes three bonus tracks including a previously unreleased extended version of "The Right Stuff".

This isn't music to be takes seriously. Treat it as a fun diversion, and appreciate the musicianship as a bonus.

Added: June 2nd 2007
    Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
    Score:
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=5261

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    How do you buy a Starfighter? Buy an acre of land & wait

We'll Call the F104-G
    G?
    Yeah - G for Germany

Haloperidol 5 millgrams.

God I love this album, the mix of humor & Space Rock is outstanding. It's one of the regular sing along albums at my annual boys weekend.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I suppose I should probably have this one.

I could do without the speaking parts

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    They're the best parts. The music is just punk hard rock. Lemmy music.
    The next album at least has 3 or 4 cool tracks

I still have my original vinyl copy as well as the cd. I played the shit out of this back in the 70's. The best of the albums Calvert did.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I just love this one...my fave Hawkwind related album of all time...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I have a friend who is obsessed with this album. I have personally never cared for Calvert, solo or with Hawkwind.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have owned this LP since it was released and have loved it!

This is the best album Hawkwind never released.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I like the music of this album better than his next but I could do with less spoken parts...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This really is a comedy album no ? Like part Hogan's Heroes and part Hawkwind.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Great album, but maybe not his greatest work. Big fan of Freq, Test-Tube Conceived, the mix of drum machine, demo quality and just good songwriting is the charm for me. Sort of like Hammill's Black Box album, but not really...

Anyway not to be missed is Krankschaft's Flame Red Superstar. Steve Pond and Dead Fred keep the Calvert spirit alive and well.

http://www.doremi.co.uk/krankschaft/
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Part Hawkwind, part Bonzo Dog, a terrific album. The music is Hawkwind's driving space rock at its peak, the comic play that links the songs stars Calvert, Stanshall and Capaldi in what is brilliant satire. It's the Dr Strangelove of rock music.

I did spill a little on my first try. Air turbulence actually.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I love the speaking parts! This is not the only album I heard to employ music and spoken word-wasn't the Wozard of Iz spoken bits and music?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    This really is a comedy album no ? Like part Hogan's Heroes and part Hawkwind.
    part child's garden of grass, only about airplanes, and part hawkwind

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post

I did spill a little on my first try. Air turbulence actually.
    Brilliant
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.